Dallas Mavericks thread: Luka MVP

Remove this Banner Ad

Does nothing for Doncic. Who is the SG in this line up now? Kyrie or Doncic? Who is the play maker? Kyrie wont share the ball

Kyrie off-ball is overblown imo. He shared it with LBJ & Durant, he'll share it with Luka too. At least they've got a legit ball handler for Luka less mins. You can stagger both guys now. Trade is great for Green if he's still with the Mavs, he should see plenty of opportunities with him being arguably their main perimeter defender. They could target another perimeter wing (e.g. thybulle?) & a rebounding big (poeltl?) imo.

A detail worth noting is that if Kyrie doesn't sign with Dallas, they've cleared enough cap space to go full contract FA hunting.

A detail worth noting is that if Kyrie doesn't sign with Dallas, they've cleared enough cap space to go full contract FA hunting.

Yeah because that's always worked for Dallas in regards to signing big free agents.

Does nothing for Doncic. Who is the SG in this line up now? Kyrie or Doncic? Who is the play maker? Kyrie wont share the ball
We've gotten a bit of a glimse so far, but it's worth noting Kyrie's time of possession per game prior to the trade was basically exactly the same as Spencer Dinwiddie. So Kyrie didn't have the ball in his hands any more than the Mavs second ball handler.
What's actually a bigger deal is that there is pretty much no team a player like Kyrie would be interested in going to that would have the cap space to get him. Which means if he does leave, it's likely in a sign and trade to one of the teams of his choice, meaning the Mavs would get something in return. Which would be much better than the cap space, when there is pretty much no one particularly interesting who is likely the be available.

Can't believe people don't like this move for on-court reasons. I can totally understand for non-basketball reasons such as being a locker room cancer or just a general nutter, but on-court it's a perfect fit really.

I think they'll work really well together as long as Kyrie doesn't say or do anything whack-jacko-ish.

Say this is successful and Kyrie re-signs with the team, what type of player should Dallas target in the off-season? Imo a defensive wing and centre.

If Dallas don't bring in serious talent, Luka will walk

I hate this trope…it’s so lazy

to me, it symbolises the worst aspects of NBA ‘ring culcha’ because it allows media to undermine small market teams by building up a ‘get me outta here’ environment

Why do they do this? Traffic. It’s a content-driven world and there are way more clicks in if market stories (looking at you Lakers!) than most of the rest of the league put together

Anyway, that’s my grump old man take…now get off my lawn 😠

Say this is successful and Kyrie re-signs with the team, what type of player should Dallas target in the off-season? Imo a defensive wing and centre.

Good question…defensive wings, preferably 3 and D

Once Wood is gone, we probably also need to look at a mid-level centre to rotate with Powell, McGee and Kleber (who is more of tall wing probably)

Well we have tanked to keep this protected pick hopefully it works for us

Really need Green and Hardy to come on in a serious way.

Kyrie do we keep him? He even interested in staying? I really don't know trade for AD I would love can't see it happening.

Wood will sign somewhere and 2 years running lose our 2nd best player for nothing.

Dallas need really have a look at someone like Covington who isn't being played and would be a nice defensive piece to bring in.

Cuban and Nico really need to get this squad set for start of next season, I think we need give it 1 more year with Kyrie because let's face it, Mavs don't sign big name free agents.

bloody oath we need to keep Kyrie. We lose him, we're completely ****ed.

I'm really hoping Wood's FA demand is poor and we get to keep him also.

Number 1 priority should be getting rid of Jason Kidd. ******* terrible coach. And I usually think the impact of coaches is a bit overrated by the general public. He's a shocker though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bloody oath we need to keep Kyrie. We lose him, we're completely ****ed.

I'm really hoping Wood's FA demand is poor and we get to keep him also.

Number 1 priority should be getting rid of Jason Kidd. ******* terrible coach. And I usually think the impact of coaches is a bit overrated by the general public. He's a shocker though.

I thought the same in regards to Kidd when we signed him but obviously last season changed my opinion.

I really have no idea what this team is going to do.

Feel like smacking smug Cuban in regards to Brunson we all watched him, I posted in here that he was a steal when we drafted him and to develop him into the player he became just to let him walk when we had the bird rights is just nuts.

Luka leaves eventually nothing more certain will join Denver.

Last edited:
Kidds rotations were clownish. Why Wood was buried is mystifying. Reliance on Powell. Inability to draw up late game offense. Ntilikina over Hardy. Misuse of timeouts

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Boys club in my opinion.

How about if it is unsuccessful and Kyrie still re-signs lol

Getting Seth Curry back is a great pick up though. I'd be adding Derrick Jones Jnr and Mo Bamba to make this a playoff team

Only cookers wanted to overpay Wood and the market has proven them fundamentally wrong…

Mavs offered wood a multi-year extension mid-year but he wanted more and then couldn’t generate any interest from another team

Now he’s crawling back to the Mavs but he’d be lucky to come back on more than the minimum at this point…I hope we tell him to **** off and hope all the casuals who rate him tear up their Mavs memberships 😂

Might have listened to it once a few years ago - pretty trash if I remember correctly.

Now that Silas is gone, Kidd has the undisputed title unfortunately. Feel free to try convince me otherwise if you like.

No, it’s quite good but they’ve hated Kidd since before he joined the Mavs and you seemed to have a similar tone

Anyway, I’m not here to convince you of anything…I just think people have short memories and always blame the coach

He was very good in 21-22 and Mavs then lost our 2nd best player in Brunson and 3 best wings (DFS, Maxi, Bullock) for much of the season to injury so it’s a bit harsh to pin on Kidd

He then agreed to tank in spite of the reputational damage he’d cop and that pick got us Lively and Omax and an upgrade of Bertans to Holmes

So I’m unsure what people expect him to have done more of or less of…he’s fine in my eyes

It was Nico who needed to do better and so far this offseason he been pretty 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Back