2011 End of Season Review

by Griffs_Revenge

Games - 18
Goals - 1
Best and Fairest - 5th (81 votes)

Date of Birth - 29th December 1982
Recruited Pick 19 2004 rookie draft.
Height/Weight: 190cm, 92kg
Dreamteam Price: 1101 points; $201,300 (-$14,200)
Supercoach: 1334 points; $280,800 (-$62,000)

Stats history: Dale Morris (AFL Tables)

A model of consistency, Morris again had a stellar 2011 blanketing his opponents both tall and small and covering for the loss of Brian Lake. Finishing 5th in the best and fairest despite missing 4 games Morris can be counted on every time he steps on the field and always gives 100% and was rarely beaten by opponents in 2011. His shutdown roles on some of the games best forwards of all shapes and sizes is a role that few can perform to such a high standard.

However, 2011 ended in tragedy for Morris breaking 2 bones in his leg in the round 21 loss to Essendon.

A renowned fast healer and unparalleled commitment to training and recovery will see Morris do everything he can over he preseason to get himself right for 2012, how his body responds and lets him preform will be a telling sign for the Dogs as he is a vital player to he team and a great leader for the backline.

Notable Games:

Round 12 - vs St Kilda: 23 posesions 5 marks and 5 tackles in a loss to St Kilda

Round 16 - vs Carlton: Given the task of blanketing Eddie Betts, Morris kept the goal kicker to just 9 posessions and 1 goal.

Morris has been given life membership at the club. Congratulations go out to him :thumbsu:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/w...article/tabid/4112/newsid/127407/default.aspx

Unselfish both on and off the field, accepting Life Membership at the Bulldogs made Dale Morris reminisce about all of those who stood before him and everyone who helped him reach this milestone.

Morris was highly grateful and modest of his achievement, giving credit to his past and present team mates for not only his award but his person.

Love him.

Re: Dale Morris To Miss First Five Games

Life without Dale isn't worth living! :(
Really crappy news. I hope his leg recovers well.

But it will give someone else a chance. Maybe we will go for experience with Hargrave taking his spot, or give Talia some early games.

I'd expect Hargrave to take the spot, possibly Picken to play down back as well early in the season.

Five weeks out of 23 gone already and then he's got to get some match fitness and find form without having had a proper pre-season.

So I'm not expecting we'll see all that much of Dale in the RW&B this year, maybe 6-8 games? Dale's a big-hearted player but it's a tough ask.

i'm fine with Dale missing out the first few rounds, i just want him back to full heath so he can be part of the finals run and allow our younger players to get a few more games under their belt.
Get better Morris, you legend!

Leg fractures vary greatly. Considering the amount of force required to break the femur, rushing back is not an option. It's better to sit it out until it's 100%

Need Hargrave or Talia to step into his spot imo.

Not really sold on Wood as a lockdown defender. Need to free him up to use his strength which is his kicking and rebounding ability.

So our back six could look like this at the start of the season:

FB: Picken Markovic Wood
HB: Murphy Williams Higgins

In the mix: Gilbee (the forgotten man), Hargrave?, Lake?, Howard, Talia.

Mulligan would have had to improve 150% for me to include him.

I'm kind of hoping that the new coach can find another defensive player on the list who may not have played there before. The one I have in mind actually is Djerrkura. He seems fairly tough and quick, and lets face it he didn't show that much in front of goal.

So our back six could look like this at the start of the season:

FB: Picken Markovic Wood
HB: Murphy Williams Higgins

In the mix: Gilbee (the forgotten man), Hargrave?, Lake?, Howard, Talia.

Mulligan would have had to improve 150% for me to include him.

I'm kind of hoping that the new coach can find another defensive player on the list who may not have played there before. The one I have in mind actually is Djerrkura. He seems fairly tough and quick, and lets face it he didn't show that much in front of goal.

I was thinking along with DJ y not Brodie Moles very quick, good skills. Thoughts??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the idea of Moles he looks like a tough player and decent size, could be an option.
Moles might be a good choice for a rebounding defender. As Dahlhaus_1993 said, he's pretty quick and has fairly good disposal by foot. I think the club could maybe trial him in a Gilbee role in the NAB Cup or at Williamstown to see how he handles the role.

Hate it when threads like this get moved here.
I know it is specific to the player, but I just discovered it and it can be easily missed.

There is still a re-direct on the main page?

Which is how I found it.
But doesn't that slip away as other threads are posted in?

I'll generally leave a thread like that for a few days before merging as well if something is topical.

Dale Morris return

for those who dont have a pass for the herald sun......

STAR Western Bulldogs defender Dale Morris has made a surprise return in the VFL reserves today and is ahead of schedule to make a long-awaited return to AFL ranks.

The All-Australian lined up in the Williamstown development squad against Werribee at Chirnside Park at 11am this morning.

Morris was not named in the Seagulls side but quietly slipped back into competitive football.

The 29-year-old headed to the defensive goalsquare nearby marquee Werribee signing Nathan Ablett, who was also making his first appearance for the year.

Morris suffered a fractured leg against Essendon in Round 21 last year and has not been sighted since.

His rehabilitation included a stint in a wheelchair and his inclusion looms as a massive boost for first-year coach Brendan McCartney.

Morris was drafted to the Bulldogs from Werribee via the 2005 rookie draft.

The club has not set a date on his return and he was still listed as indefinite on the Bulldogs injury list this week.

Re: Dale Morris return

for those who dont have a pass for the herald sun......

STAR Western Bulldogs defender Dale Morris has made a surprise return in the VFL reserves today and is ahead of schedule to make a long-awaited return to AFL ranks.

The All-Australian lined up in the Williamstown development squad against Werribee at Chirnside Park at 11am this morning.

Morris was not named in the Seagulls side but quietly slipped back into competitive football.

The 29-year-old headed to the defensive goalsquare nearby marquee Werribee signing Nathan Ablett, who was also making his first appearance for the year.

Morris suffered a fractured leg against Essendon in Round 21 last year and has not been sighted since.

His rehabilitation included a stint in a wheelchair and his inclusion looms as a massive boost for first-year coach Brendan McCartney.

Morris was drafted to the Bulldogs from Werribee via the 2005 rookie draft.

The club has not set a date on his return and he was still listed as indefinite on the Bulldogs injury list this week.

Now that`s the best news I have heard so far this season.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back