Gurnerd Fanning

Debutant
Jun 17, 2007
Albury
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The Mighty Ducks
Can any of the old codgers out there give there thoughts on the current standard of footy compared to 20 / 10 / 5 years ago.
When was the league at it's height?

The league would have to be stronger in the last few years due to the better quality of recruits that have entered the competition eg. Aaron Purcell, Derek Murray, Danny Cohen, Brendan Way etc. The comp also seems to have become more even which can only improve the standard with an even spread of talent across the league. Kiewa showed this year that you only had to add a couple of quality recruits to a side and you are in finals contention. However, the standard of this years GF was pretty ordinary considering the talent on the park between both sides.:thumbsu:

Yesterday, i watched my first TDFL game of the season which was Wodonga Saints vs Dederang. Having played in the Upper Murray and Hume leagues, i would have to say it was possibly the worst game i have seen. The Saints resembled an average Upper Murray side, they definitely need a skills coach as they couldn't hit a close target, the softest senior side i think I've ever seen. As for Dederang if they are a finals caliber team the standard must have dropped. They resembled not much more than a middle of the table Hume league side, their skills weren't much better but had a couple of forwards capable of kicking goals. At this stage i would have to say the Hume league is superior.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Yesterday, i watched my first TDFL game of the season which was Wodonga Saints vs Dederang. Having played in the Upper Murray and Hume leagues, i would have to say it was possibly the worst game i have seen. The Saints resembled an average Upper Murray side, they definitely need a skills coach as they couldn't hit a close target, the softest senior side i think I've ever seen. As for Dederang if they are a finals caliber team the standard must have dropped. They resembled not much more than a middle of the table Hume league side, their skills weren't much better but had a couple of forwards capable of kicking goals. At this stage i would have to say the Hume league is superior.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I thought you would have more experienced Toecutter than to make a judgement on a League's standard based on watching the bottom side play a middle of the table side. If the Hume League continues to make silly excuses for not playing TDFL in an Interleague match so we can settle the argument, i would've thought the next best way of determining the strength of the respective Leagues would be to go and watch the top sides play, i.e Mitta v Kiewa in the TDFL, and Culcairn v Jindera in the Hume. You watching BB Saints play every week then going to watch Wodonga Saints play wouldn't really be classified as reliable research to be able to make a judgement. I think you would find the top sides in each League are pretty evenly matched.

standards of the league is great standards of the grounds and away rooms are ____in s**t.
chillten need new everything what a s**t hole of ground almost broke my ankles everytime i went running at the ball all up and down everywhere sand through the middle of it and one side of the ground and pinecones all over it...
anyone else agree please share ya thoughts

I thought you would have more experienced Toecutter than to make a judgement on a League's standard based on watching the bottom side play a middle of the table side. If the Hume League continues to make silly excuses for not playing TDFL in an Interleague match so we can settle the argument, i would've thought the next best way of determining the strength of the respective Leagues would be to go and watch the top sides play, i.e Mitta v Kiewa in the TDFL, and Culcairn v Jindera in the Hume. You watching BB Saints play every week then going to watch Wodonga Saints play wouldn't really be classified as reliable research to be able to make a judgement. I think you would find the top sides in each League are pretty evenly matched.

Alberto very well said my friend you can not give an opinion on the standard of footy unless you are watching it week in week out

I thought you would have more experienced Toecutter than to make a judgement on a League's standard based on watching the bottom side play a middle of the table side. If the Hume League continues to make silly excuses for not playing TDFL in an Interleague match so we can settle the argument, i would've thought the next best way of determining the strength of the respective Leagues would be to go and watch the top sides play, i.e Mitta v Kiewa in the TDFL, and Culcairn v Jindera in the Hume.
I went and watched last years GF and was not overly impressed with the game. The skill level was ordinary and if the ball is on the ground there are gonna be pack contests where Mitta revel, and as a result they call it a "tough" GF. Mitta do win flags but their style of play drags the standard of the league down playing pack footy. It might work in the mud but how do they go on dry grounds? Not a criticism boys just a question:confused::confused::confused:

I went and watched last years GF and was not overly impressed with the game. The skill level was ordinary and if the ball is on the ground there are gonna be pack contests where Mitta revel, and as a result they call it a "tough" GF. Mitta do win flags but their style of play drags the standard of the league down playing pack footy. It might work in the mud but how do they go on dry grounds? Not a criticism boys just a question:confused::confused::confused:

I thought Mitta's style of play only lasted for about 15 minutes, that being the last quarter. Who are the players at Mitta who drag the standard of the league down?

Mr El Nino has ensured that grounds have been very dry for the last 4 seasons. Since 2004, Mitta have won 73 of a possible 83 games, including the last 4 flags. That would suggest they go OK on dry grounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't concern yourself with the standard of the players and the football too much. What a grubby lot they are proving to be up there in the TDFL... under-age drinkers photographed in the local press, the former President implicated and now the CEO claiming he can fix it - next year! The house of cards is falling...

Perhaps the standard reflects the leadership..? Did you realise that GF gate-takings in the O&KFL have increased a massive 32% in the past 5 years of playing in Wangaratta! Any bets on how much the TDFL GF gate-takings would increase if moved to say - Birallee Park..? May I suggest 50%?!

1. Hume FL- Too many money players running around in their prime, leagues facilities are superior too. Not all clubs fielding juniors is a slight negative though.
2. Tallangatta FL - Progressive, improved heaps since Chiltern, Beechworth, Rutherglen and Wahgunyah came into the league after Culcairn and Holbrook left for the Hume in the 90's, all clubs fielding juniors is also a feather in the leagues cap.
3. O and K - Good standard dunno if its any better since they got the BDFL clubs after Chiltern, Beechworth and Rutherglen left.
4. Upper Murray - Improve considerably since the 90's with the reintroduction of the reserves and a reformed Bullioh joining the league. Facilities are average at best and only 6 clubs being in the comp makes it hard to recruit and retain players from the better district leagues.

Sorry Gurnerd... most of us "old codgers" still use pen and ink so you will have to provide a roadside mailbox address if you want some true perspective...
However, to answer your question with another question...
Have you ever wondered why the administration of the league has never been able to attract younger people (inclduing women) and more intelligent people to its ranks..?

Toecutters summary seems to be right on the ball!
O&K has to have improved... from the top down. Great innovative administration with a vision down that way now and while some clubs are struggling, the overall performance of the league seems to have improved markedly.
TDFL seems to have dropped-off a little in recent times but Toecutter is right... most of the good players seem to have gone to the HUme for better money.
Apparently the interleague at Lavington tonight will only confirm that...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back