Culture novels - Iain Banks

Remove this Banner Ad

I read one of these years ago and have gotten the first three from Amazon.

Really good, imaginative sci-fi with one of those richly detailed, original universes that sets the series apart from run of the mill SF.

Two thumbs up :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Banks is a fantastic author. I've only read his literary fiction work and he can tell a really good story.

I've read seven of his books, but not any sci-fi yet, however I'm really keen to get into it.

Do the SF novels set in the Culture universe need to be read in any particular order?

Thinking of buying Use of Weapons and wondering if I need to read the two previous books first?

Do the SF novels set in the Culture universe need to be read in any particular order?

Thinking of buying Use of Weapons and wondering if I need to read the two previous books first?

No, they're all completely standalone.

I'd say they're almost completely standalone in that I wouldn't recommend _Look to Windward_ until after reading _Consider Phlebas_. Other than that IanG is right. They're pretty much self contained.

Having said that, read _The Player of Games_ first. _Use of Weapons_ is a fantastic book but some people don't care for it due to it's non-linear narrative style.

DIdn't rate Consider Phlebas, some parts of the book got very boring and irrelevant - the bit with the cannibals? I mean seriously.

His other books are considerable better, the book "against a black background" or some such is very good

His next book is a Culture book, it sounds fantastic. Its called Surface Detail and its meant to be out on Oct 28. Here's the description:

"It begins in the realm of the Real, where matter still matters.

It begins with a murder.

And it will not end until the Culture has gone to war with death itself.

Lededje Y'breq is one of the Intagliated, her marked body bearing witness to a family shame, her life belonging to a man whose lust for power is without limit. Prepared to risk everything for her freedom, her release, when it comes, is at a price, and to put things right she will need the help of the Culture.

Benevolent, enlightened and almost infinitely resourceful though it may be, the Culture can only do so much for any individual. With the assistance of one of its most powerful - and arguably deranged - warships, Lededje finds herself heading into a combat zone not even sure which side the Culture is really on. A war - brutal, far-reaching - is already raging within the digital realms that store the souls of the dead, and it's about to erupt into reality.

It started in the realm of the Real and that is where it will end. It will touch countless lives and affect entire civilizations, but at the center of it all is a young woman whose need for revenge masks another motive altogether."

I've just finished _Surface Detail_. It's good. Very, very good. Probably his best since _Excession_ or even _Use of Weapons_. Buy it, borrow it or steal it but get hold of it somehow.

The Falling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints is now officially my favourite Culture Mind. What's not to like about a partially deranged Special Circumstances Abominator Class General Offensive Unit that enjoys what it does and does it really well?

The only thing about SD I didn't like was the last word. Literally. When you read it you'll know what I mean. But since it didn't affect the plot, I can overlook that.

_Use of Weapons_ is a fantastic book but some people don't care for it due to it's non-linear narrative style.

I found it hard going until I cheated and looked up an explanation on Wikipedia :) Then I got into it - great book.

Re: Use of Weapons

I found it hard going until I cheated and looked up an explanation on Wikipedia :) Then I got into it - great book.

Hah! Before Ken MacLeod and Banks' editor got hold of it, it was far more confusing.

Read MacLeod's description of the original version here.

"It read like it had no structure, but there was one. Iain could prove it to you. He had a diagram."

"The character called Zakalwe had a different name in each flashback."

Jesus Christ on a flying trapeze, can you imagine trying to make sense of that? A diagram indeed!

Banks is my favourite SF author. With Use of Weapons being close to being my favourite SF novel ever.

Same here - Banks's culture universe is beautifully realised. Just enough description to allow your own imagination to run rampant.:thumbsu:

I've just finished _Surface Detail_. It's good. Very, very good. Probably his best since _Excession_ or even _Use of Weapons_. Buy it, borrow it or steal it but get hold of it somehow.

The Falling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints is now officially my favourite Culture Mind. What's not to like about a partially deranged Special Circumstances Abominator Class General Offensive Unit that enjoys what it does and does it really well?

The only thing about SD I didn't like was the last word. Literally. When you read it you'll know what I mean. But since it didn't affect the plot, I can overlook that.

Certainly a return to form after The Algebraist and Matter (though i liked them both) - there's something about him writing great sci-fi and weird fiction concurrently. Walking on Glass/The Bridge:Consider Phlebus; Transitions:Surface Detail

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really sad, he was a legend to me. After reading Dead Air in 2002, I really took to his work and read The Wasp Factory, Espedair Street, The Crow Road, The Business and The Steep Approach to Garbadale and just loved every one of them. Banks' had a brilliant eye for a story. Never got into his sci-fi stuff, but been meaning to hit it.

RIP Iain, an amazing author.

This was not news I was looking forward to. Mr. Banks, though your pen may have been laid down, your stories will continue to speak, and the world is richer for their existence.

Though you'll never know, I think you'd appreciate that the girl who was initially responsible for my introduction to your writing 20 odd years ago, and whom I hadn't seen in more than 15 of those years, landed in the US to visit me only a few days ago, and we reminisced over the effect your writing has had on us through all that time. We then learned of your passing, and it seemed somehow significant (in our small sphere of existence, at least) that we should learn this news together, in person.

An amazing imagination has passed, and the world will be poorer for it. Vale Mr Banks, i'll raise a dram of whisky for you this evening. :(

Just started to get into the Culture series. Have read Player of Games, Consider Phlebas and Use of Weapons. Loved them but think I will have to revisit Weapons at some point, whilst I enjoyed it I think I will get a stack more out of it the second time around.

Just started to get into the Culture series. Have read Player of Games, Consider Phlebas and Use of Weapons. Loved them but think I will have to revisit Weapons at some point, whilst I enjoyed it I think I will get a stack more out of it the second time around.
Wikipedia is your friend with Use of Weapons.

Just finished Excession - think I have a new favourite in the series. Love the relationships between the minds and the introduction (for me anyway) of the Affront. About to literally start it again straight away as I know I missed a stack the first time around (I read very quickly and tend not to absorb everything, if I love a book I'll almost straight away read it again). I actually read Excession about 10 years ago but because I hadn't read any other Culture novels it made no sense, always wanted to go back once I had read a few of the earlier ones to see if I would get a greater understanding. The scope of Banks' talent and imagination is breathtaking, the worlds and situations described in this novel are incredible. I wanna visit Tier man! I finish these books and want to be a part of the Culture.

His next book is a Culture book, it sounds fantastic. Its called Surface Detail and its meant to be out on Oct 28. Here's the description:

"It begins in the realm of the Real, where matter still matters.

It begins with a murder.

And it will not end until the Culture has gone to war with death itself.

Lededje Y'breq is one of the Intagliated, her marked body bearing witness to a family shame, her life belonging to a man whose lust for power is without limit. Prepared to risk everything for her freedom, her release, when it comes, is at a price, and to put things right she will need the help of the Culture.

Benevolent, enlightened and almost infinitely resourceful though it may be, the Culture can only do so much for any individual. With the assistance of one of its most powerful - and arguably deranged - warships, Lededje finds herself heading into a combat zone not even sure which side the Culture is really on. A war - brutal, far-reaching - is already raging within the digital realms that store the souls of the dead, and it's about to erupt into reality.

It started in the realm of the Real and that is where it will end. It will touch countless lives and affect entire civilizations, but at the center of it all is a young woman whose need for revenge masks another motive altogether."

Was an excellent book until the last fifty pages, then it just felt like he was trying to wrap everything up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back