azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
Welcome guys to the dedicated thread for all things Ultimate Footy in 2018!

The Ultimate Footy website has finally opened so I've gone ahead and set everything up. Please note, I don't believe there will be an app this year again so Ultimate Footy, so it is recommended that you save a bookmark to your home screen for quick access to the app on a mobile.

The 12 contestants that have put their name down to play for this year are...

1. azza77 - Krakouer Fat
2. Kristof - New Farm A-Clowns
3. Vantz - B Team
4. hendo8888 - Ben Chwarmers
5. newbie_kimber - Sam's Team
6. DangerSloane - Doedee El-Fayed
7. Daniel1812 - davidf 18s T (???)
8. TheBogan - The Black Hole
9. Houston - The Almighty Thors
10. Maggsy - David's Team

IF you do not wish to play, please let me know ASAP so we can adjust the league rules and setup, and move ahead with the next part of the league which will be confirming the rules and voting for a draft system.

A post will follow from this detailing what needs to happen

Last edited:
League Code:

Please follow the link below to join the league. Once you have done so, post in here with your team name so I know who is who!

http://ultimate-footy.theage.com.au/766736/invitation

League Rules:

Players: The league will be a 5-7-1-5 / 4-4 set up. This is the universal set up for a standard 12 man league. 18 on the field, 4 emergencies (1 for each position) and 4 on the bench. Unlimited trades and delistings/free agent pick ups can be throughout the season. Trade deadline ends the week before the UF finals series kicks off.

There will be 17 rounds of head to head fixtures. We will not play throughout the bye rounds (12,13,14). Finals are in rounds 21-23, with the current system being that the top 6 at the end of Round 20 progress into the finals.

There are a number of things that need to be decided between us all....

The Draft: This is the biggest and most pressing issue. We need to decide between the 12 of us a draft system. In the past, we have done a what is known as a Slow Online Draft, where we start the draft relatively early on in the pre-season, and complete the draft over the course of what roughly ends up being a 2 week time period. The way a slow online draft works, for those that dont know, is that players are given X amount of hours to make their pick, with the timer only counting down between a set time period. For example, last year we gave players a 10 hour timer to make their single pick, and the timer would only count down between the hours of 7am and 11pm. If, for example, you are awake at 3am and it is your pick, you can still make your pick. The draft will then move to the next player, however their time will not begin counting down until 7am rolls around.

Conversely, if possible we can also decide to do a live online draft. This has been difficult to organise in the past due to people being away and actually having a life, but if we can knock this out in a 3 hour session on a Friday night for example, that would be great. However I understand this is going to be difficult for most people.

Generally we role with a slow online draft, and try to knock out a serious chunk of it on a pre-determined night to start with, so that the whole process doesnt drag out.

Please let me know what suits you by voting in the poll above and detailing your situation in this thread.

Once we have figured out what draft system we will use, we will then go ahead and decide a date, time allocated for each pick and etc.

Other things that we will need to vote on in the future is:
- Player position changes ON/OFF
- Trade Review Method
- Player Lockout Times

And a few other minor things, however lets get the draft set up and we will continue to discuss other formalities in the near future.

For those of you that are new to UF and unfamiliar with the rules and some of its workings....
Once you have joined the league, please please please take 5-10 minutes of your own time to go into the league settings and go through all the rules and familiarise yourself with everything. Each setting has a little information bubble next to it, explaining it's purpose.

UF clearly defines all the rules of the league, and even explains systems it has such as Draft Rankings, which you can use to order your players and even use the auto-pick system if you feel you might not be available to make a pick at the time for whatever reason.

Any further questions feel free to post in this thread obviously. I will be monitoring everything as closely as I can from now to the end of the season as league admin, so fire away!

Looks good, I'll jump on now.

Just Joined. Team name for now - The Black Hole

Draft would depend on dates, if I'm free happy to do live draft but otherwise can do slow (please not the long weekend)

My suggestion

Position changes - on
Review - off
Lockout - when that players game starts

But happy with what ever really, 'm down the river atm with little/no signal, I'll check back when in Adelaide

Just Joined. Team name for now - The Black Hole

Draft would depend on dates, if I'm free happy to do live draft but otherwise can do slow (please not the long weekend)

My suggestion

Position changes - on
Review - off
Lockout - when that players game starts

But happy with what ever really, 'm down the river atm with little/no signal, I'll check back when in Adelaide

Thank you, appreciate the feedback!

What we have done in the past is set a slow online draft, but set a night to begin with and knocked a good 10-15 out of the 26 rounds.

But anyways, we will get some more feedback.

I honestly dont mind on draft type.
I'm pretty flexible.
Problem as always is, if just the one person cant do the live draft for the whole allotted time, then it puts the whole thing out.

I think the best way for everyone is like I said, to do a slow online draft and try and knock out a chunk of it one night if possible. Pretty sure we have gone down this road for the last 2 years and it's catered well for everyone.

Geoffa32 think you're the last one that needs to join and then we can move on with proceedings! :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys,

So I think we will go ahead with the slow online draft format as we have done in the past, as it suits most people rather than trying to get 12 strangers together for a good 3-4 hours to knock out the whole draft. What we will do as I have stated above, is try and knock out a serious chunk of the draft in one night (about a 2 hour time period) and then finish the rest over the course of a week.

Please copy this small little form with the night AND/OR nights that would be suitable for you sit down for about 2 hours and draft. Please also vote on the rules you would like to see for the season.

Suitable Draft Night: List any night here that you would be able to be at your computer for say around a 2 hour period.
Captains: ON / OFF
In Season Position Changes: ON / OFF
Trading Acceptance: League votes / Commissioner has final say.

Just a note, in the past we have left the option set to commissioner decides for a number of reasons. The first and most important one is that it is a much quicker process.
- If a trade is put forward by 2 parties and the league has to vote on it, parties have to wait 2 days for the trade to be "processed" as such while players put forward their vote, and at the end of that 2 day period it can still be declined if most have voted no. This can leave players scrambling to adjust their lists ready for game week.
- With the league commissioner option, players will post their trade and thoughts on it on this thread, it will be discussed briefly and then I can go ahead and put the trade through, or deny it in a matter of minutes. I WILL NOT accept or deny any trades until I have received at least some feedback by players, so this requires participants to remain active in this thread. This quick trade processing feature allows further list changes etc to be made, without having to wait for that 2 day grace period to expire. So that means players can literally push through trades minutes before Friday lockout if really need be, rather than having to wait for the trade to go through NEXT week, as any form of list changes etc CANNOT take place during a lockout obviously, so the trade will come into effect when lockout re-opens on Monday nights.

League Commissioner option obviously has many benefits, but if players feel uncomfortable with that power resting with one person, feel free to vote against it. However as I said, I will try to keep trades an open discussion and use this feature to speed up the process.

Stuff like lockout times etc will stay constant. Games will lockout first Friday night of the week, unless it is an extended weekend and thus we will move to a rolling lockout for that particular week. I will notify players of this in this thread, so keep your eyes peeled.

Azza77
Suitable Draft Night:
Any night Monday-Friday suits me, as well as Sunday.
Captains: ON
In Season Position Changes: OFF
Trading Acceptance: Commissioner has final say.

DangerSloane
Suitable Draft Night:
Generally not Monday or Wednesday nights (although depending on when my games are I might be able to work around) - Mon and Wed are week to week.
Captains: ON
In Season Position Changes: ON
Trading Acceptance: Voting procedure/Commish Rights

Last edited:
Suitable Draft Night: Prefer early in the week, as well as Sunday.
Captains: OFF

My only concern with commish having final say is its up to 1 person whether a trade goes through or not.

Nah it wont be, that's what I tried to explain in my little spill.

I wont have the final say. It will be up to the parties involved to post the trade on this thread, all members of the league can then discuss their thoughts in here and I will accept or deny based on what the general consensus is.
It will still be like a league vote essentially, but give people the flexibility to both execute trades quicker.

There is also the problem that players might not check the UF website and see PENDING TRADES as often as they would say be active on BigFooty and receive notifications for this thread.

As an example, if you and I spend most of the week working out a fair trade and dont come to that decision until Thursday night, we will then have to put it to a league vote. That process takes a minimum of 2 days. Therefore, we won't get the trade done in time for the lockout, and wont have access to those players. Yes it is up to the parties to get it done early, but we all know that doesn't happen all the time, and there are sometimes big delays in communication.
With commissioner decides on, we can post the trade in here and if in that last 24 hours there are no dramas with it, I can push it through and have these players available before lockout. It just makes the whole process a little more manoeuvrable.

I'm not trying to sway you any which way, merely just trying to explain it's advantages for all involved. As commissioner, I WONT be making a "one man" decision, ALL trades will be put forward to the league for discussion before I accept or deny anything.

However if you still feel uncomfortable with this, then feel free to keep your League Vote

Last edited:
Nah it wont be, that's what I tried to explain in my little spill.

I wont have the final say. It will be up to the parties involved to post the trade on this thread, all members of the league can then discuss their thoughts in here and I will accept or deny based on what the general consensus is.
It will still be like a league vote essentially, but give people the flexibility to both execute trades quicker.

There is also the problem that players might not check the UF website and see PENDING TRADES as often as they would say be active on BigFooty and receive notifications for this thread.

As an example, if you and I spend most of the week working out a fair trade and dont come to that decision until Thursday night, we will then have to put it to a league vote. That process takes a minimum of 2 days. Therefore, we won't get the trade done in time for the lockout, and wont have access to those players. Yes it is up to the parties to get it done early, but we all know that doesn't happen all the time, and there are sometimes big delays in communication.
With commissioner decides on, we can post the trade in here and if in that last 24 hours there are no dramas with it, I can push it through and have these players available before lockout. It just makes the whole process a little more manoeuvrable.

I'm not trying to sway you any which way, merely just trying to explain it's advantages for all involved. As commissioner, I WONT be making a "one man" decision, ALL trades will be put forward to the league for discussion before I accept or deny anything.

However if you still feel uncomfortable with this, then feel free to keep your League Vote

Nah all good.
Sorry I missed that tid-bit.
Sounds like a great idea.

Suitable Draft Night: Not fussed
Captains: OFF

... 1 Ruck.

Back