Crowd Numbers early 2000s

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Carlisle, Celtics, GCS
Hi there, just wondering if anyone had memory of why AFL crowds were significantly lower in the early 2000s, particularly the 2002 finals caught my eye with 27,000 at a qualifying final, and 52 to a Collingwood final at the G', I considered stadium renovations but to my knowledge they didn't start until after the grand final.
Thanks all

What are you even looking at?

2002 crowds

Port Adelaide vs Collingwood - 33k - This was the first week of the Adelaide Show. Fans would have gone, eh, go to the show, go to the prelim. Save money and skip the Qualifying Final.

Essendon vs West Coast - 37k - Surprisngly low actually. Was there an anti-Docklands stigma at this time? (From a fan perspective. I know the turf was s**t then so players hated it, by why the lack of turnout?) Though, as I allude to later, I think this might have to do with Elimination finals not drawing as well until Richmond vs Carlton about 10 years from now.

Brisbane vs Adelaide - 32k - Good Crowd

Melbourne vs North Melbourne - 54k - In isolation this looks bad, but wern't most eliminaton final crowds quite poor at this point of time? It was really only once Richmond made finals in the first time in forever about 10 years from now where elimination finals drew right?

Port Adelaide vs Essendon - 28k - I assume this is what you meant? Semi instead of qualifying? As above, this is the end of the Adelaide Show, plus Port fans would have been fuming considering the previous year they went out in straight sets and they had just blown a good opportunity vs Collingwood. You will notice just about every semi final in Adelaide, whether Crows or Power have always been a crap crowd ESPECIALLY if they lost a home qualifying final. Morale low, other stuff to do in Adelaide.

Melbourne vs Adelaide - 52k - I assume this is what you meant? Fans could have easily thought this wasn't in Melbourne. The old flawed MCG contract where the MCG needs a game every week. Should've been in Adelaide, but alas, had to be at the MCG. Some living in Melbourne honestly may not have known there was a game in town expecting it to be in Adelaide.

Collingwood vs Adelaide - 88k - Amazing Crowd

Brisbane vs Port Adelaide - 33k - Amazing Crowd

Collingwood vs Brisbane - 92k - Amazing Crowd.

Essendon vs West Coast - 37k - Surprisngly low actually. Was there an anti-Docklands stigma at this time? (From a fan perspective. I know the turf was s**t then so players hated it, by why the lack of turnout?)

Melbourne vs North Melbourne - 54k - In isolation this looks bad, but wern't most eliminaton final crowds quite poor at this point of time? It was really only once Richmond made finals in the first time in forever about 10 years from now where elimination finals drew right?

Melbourne vs Adelaide - 52k - I assume this is what you meant? Fans could have easily thought this wasn't in Melbourne. The old flawed MCG contract where the MCG needs a game every week. Should've been in Adelaide, but alas, had to be at the MCG. Some living in Melbourne honestly may not have known there was a game in town expecting it to be in Adelaide.
Yeah fair enough about elimination finals etc this probably didn't need it's own thread, I suppose it was more the low Football Park numbers that you answered, 2001 I also found interesting with 30k to a Docklands final Hawks v Sydney, also agree that semi's have always been pretty average, say 2010 had a combined 85k to both

Remove this Banner Ad

Back