Cricket Thread: Twenty20 World Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Just saw the T20 World Cup draw. How in the actual f*ck does Darren Sammy have a stadium named after him ?? That's akin to renaming Adelaide Oval to the Michael Doughty stadium !! Wowee.
There have only been something like 30 St Lucian players to play first class cricket since the country gained independence. Being the captain of two world cup winning teams tends to stand out amongst the competition in such a small field.

Last edited:

Fraser-McGurk and Short are the two reserve players.

Not that this is meaningful in any way.
Fraser-McGurk's Delhi Capitals missed the IPL play-offs on net run rate, but the 22-year-old shone at the top of the order in his nine games, with a top score of 84 off just 27 balls, finishing with four half-centuries and an overall strike rate of 234, which was the highest in the tournament among players with more than five innings.

I'd be surprised if someone in the team doesn't suffer an injury or an out of form player accidentally gets pushed down some stairs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fraser-McGurk's Delhi Capitals missed the IPL play-offs on net run rate, but the 22-year-old shone at the top of the order in his nine games, with a top score of 84 off just 27 balls, finishing with four half-centuries and an overall strike rate of 234, which was the highest in the tournament among players with more than five innings.

I'd be surprised if someone in the team doesn't suffer an injury or an out of form player accidentally gets pushed down some stairs.
I think questions over whether Mitch Marsh will be able to bowl spooked the selectors for "balance" reasons. If he were a guaranteed bowling option, I think Fraser-McGurk would be in the squad instead of one of the allrounders

What's weird about that is why they committed to the squad so early then. The Australian squad was one of the first ones named. Pakistan still haven't named a final squad.

Last edited:
Corey Anderson playing for USA haha, former NZ player
He's actually been over there for like 6 years now. But only got selected recently due to deranged internal politics.

Cameron Gannon is also eligible for USA (and has played for them before) but wasn't picked because he was unavailable for a random training camp earlier this year.

He's actually been over there for like 6 years now. But only got selected recently due to deranged internal politics.

Cameron Gannon is also eligible for USA (and has played for them before) but wasn't picked because he was unavailable for a random training camp earlier this year.
US Cricket politics is as insane as their normal politics

You would think with the diversity of population they have even a passing interest in cricket should see them being in most World Cups

US Cricket politics is as insane as their normal politics

You would think with the diversity of population they have even a passing interest in cricket should see them being in most World Cups
I think they (and the ICC) have realised there's much more money to be made pandering to India and rent-seeking for the occasional tour match, than there is actually running and developing the game there.

USA only just returned from an ICC suspension in 2019. And my understanding is that the board running the game then were the equivalent of the Fagan era here. They seemed competent, made several important changes (set up minor/major league cricket) and then had the equivalent of the camp incident with the financial exposure from the abandoned Ireland tour. And that was enough to let the random cavalcade of con artists back in.

Australians batting in IPL, before the final is played...

Wade v Fraser-McGurk... tough choice selectors.

Head 567 @ 44, 192! s/r
Stoinis 388 @ 32, 148
Fraser-McGurk 330 @ 37, 234!!
Green 255 @ 32, 143
David 240 @ 30, 159
Warner 168 @ 21, 134
Cummins 112 @ 22, 147
Marsh 61 @ 15, 161
Maxwell 52 @ 6, 121
Turner 21 @ 11, 117
Starc 9 @ 4.5, 82
Wade 4 @ 4, 67

Ideally we bring JFG as an injury replacement for world cup...

1 Head
2 Marsh
3 Fraser-McGurk
4 Green
5 Inglis
6 Maxwell (hopefully gets his head right)
7 David
8 Stoinis
9 Cummins
10 Starc
11 Hazelwood

Ideally we bring JFG as an injury replacement for world cup...

1 Head
2 Marsh
3 Fraser-McGurk
4 Green
5 Inglis
6 Maxwell (hopefully gets his head right)
7 David
8 Stoinis
9 Cummins
10 Starc
11 Hazelwood
No genuine spinner?

I'd go

1 Head
2 Fraser-McGurk
3 Marsh
4 Inglis
5 Maxwell