Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

This will be the big Test for a Australians.
No doubt - Philander destroyed India last night, and if conditions suit him when we get over there, he'll be a real handful: as will the other bowlers. But equally, I reckon we can give it back to them - our quartet that did so well against the Poms will ask a lot of questions of the Proteas. Bring it on!!!

Strikers women should never have won that match. The Stars lost their first wicket on the last ball of the 11th over with 69 on the board. Only two Strikers bowlers claimed wickets(3 to bowlers, 2 runouts), the Strikers lost 9 wickets to Melbourne's 5, no Adelaide Striker scored more than 28 and the first two Melbourne batters scored 52 from 52 and 42 from 34. Or maybe it would be more correct to say the Melbourne Stars should never have lost that match.

Haha. C10 channeling the Simpsons. “Melboourne” Stars

What about that decision against Alex Ross last night? It seems that the view taken was that had he kept on his straight run then the wide throw to the keeper may have been on target and dismissed him, giving rise to the intent to obstruct. He also appeared to look at the fielder and then veer towards the wicket. Whatever the case was it was something that needn't have happened as Ross was nearly home when he was struck by the ball and would have been home if he had kept on his initial line even if the ball had hit the stumps.

Law 37 says nothing about the obstruction having to prevent a dismissal, so the fact Ross wouldn't have been run out is not important.

What about that decision against Alex Ross last night? It seems that the view taken was that had he kept on his straight run then the wide throw to the keeper may have been on target and dismissed him, giving rise to the intent to obstruct. He also appeared to look at the fielder and then veer towards the wicket. Whatever the case was it was something that needn't have happened as Ross was nearly home when he was struck by the ball and would have been home if he had kept on his initial line even if the ball had hit the stumps.

Law 37 says nothing about the obstruction having to prevent a dismissal, so the fact Ross wouldn't have been run out is not important.

The most amazing thing about it is that in the BBL the umpires usually bend over backwards in favour of the batterers and it's the poor old bowlers who just have to serve up balls that can be smashed over the fence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another arsey shot from Maxwell, this times between the legs.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/video/clip?id=22054147

But he has always been a great fielder and nothing arsey about this catch.

For reference purposes all Cricinfo Sheffield Shield Records and BBL at link below. Their search function to find this page is hopeless, had to find it via google.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/australia/engine/records/index.html?id=114;type=trophy

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/big-bash-league-2015-16/engine/records/index.html?id=158;type=trophy

Last edited:
For anyone interested, the Under 19s World Cup starts today in NZ

Have heard the Afghani under 19's are a seriously good side and a genuine chance to upstage the older nations. Quite remarkable how quickly they've developed a pipeline to harness their junior talent which we've already seen funneling into their senior side.

Last time it was held in New Zealand was 2010 and Australia took it out - honestly does not feel so long ago as I remember watching them win the final yet it is! Mitch Marsh was the captain and had a pretty handy bowling line-up at his disposal with Hazlewood, Zampa and Alex Keath.

Fall of wickets were 1/1, 2/2, 3/2, 4/13, 5/15, 6/16, 7/30, 8/32 & now 9/52.

In unrelated news, a pile of heavy brown paper bags have just rocked up at University Oval...
Pakistani batsmen are like faithful husbands - they only perform at home. All out for 74.

the guy is an amazing talent!
True, unfortunately he isn't consistently amazing. I get the impression that the ODI and T20 form of the game has affected his concentration levels needed to excel at red ball cricket.

True, unfortunately he isn't consistently amazing. I get the impression that the ODI and T20 form of the game has affected his concentration levels needed to excel at red ball cricket.

sadly his showmanship isn't compatible with the serious format of the game

Have heard the Afghani under 19's are a seriously good side and a genuine chance to upstage the older nations. Quite remarkable how quickly they've developed a pipeline to harness their junior talent which we've already seen funneling into their senior side.

Last time it was held in New Zealand was 2010 and Australia took it out - honestly does not feel so long ago as I remember watching them win the final yet it is! Mitch Marsh was the captain and had a pretty handy bowling line-up at his disposal with Hazlewood, Zampa and Alex Keath.

'De facto,' what we call "Afghanistan" is basically Kabul. Kabul claims the remaining area of maps say it is Afghanistan, but has no political control over it. Still, Kabul has roughly 4,000,000 inhabitants. It is not a small pool. It is possible to discover talented people through an organized and dedicated work: teaching the game; forming teams; arranging games; scouting, picking up, and training players. Nice to hear that it is happening.

Wouldn't it be a feat similar to rugby football? If I am not mistaken, it wouldn't be uncommon for players that excel in one code (either union, league, or seven) to struggle in another. I imagine that test, one-day, and T20 cricket could demand some different set of skills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back