Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
I'm sure we're all looking forward to a more "normal" season next year. Being able to go to games, fixtures played at the ground they've been scheduled in.

But there's an impact that we are probably going to see next year, which will be when players, coaches and staff start testing positive.

It will be interesting to see how the AFL deals with this. Do we need multiple bye rounds throughout the year so that games can be postponed? Will the movement of players and staff still have to be restricted?

No doubt the Covid headaches in AFL house are far from over.

I'm sure we're all looking forward to a more "normal" season next year. Being able to go to games, fixtures played at the ground they've been scheduled in.

But there's an impact that we are probably going to see next year, which will be when players, coaches and staff start testing positive.

It will be interesting to see how the AFL deals with this. Do we need multiple bye rounds throughout the year so that games can be postponed? Will the movement of players and staff still have to be restricted?

No doubt the Covid headaches in AFL house are far from over.

I'm sure the AFL will be watching how the NFL & NBA handle it throughout their seasons.

There is still a long way to go until next season.

I reckon it will be less like the last 2 years in terms of playing in hubs or behind closed doors.

You'll need to be vaccinated to attend games.

But then I've made calls like these before and been wrong, so who knows.

Given the vast, vast majority (if not all) AFL players and officials will be vaccinated by next year, I reckon you treat like it any other illness. Player is out for two weeks.

As for going, well it might be a bit like it was this year - allocated seats (which I hate but ah well, it's better than not going), masks on the concourse, reduced crowds for a little bit but working up to pretty much as it was pre-COVID. That should be the aim anyways.

I actually think it will be fairly normal. I don't even think we'll have to be fully vaxxed to go. Remember December 1 is when NSW start allowing the unvaxxed into things. And we are talking about March next year. I'm not sure the AFL can make a rule that over powers the state government?

I can see allocated seating that's for sure. But I don't think masks will be a thing then either. Just my two cents.

I actually think it will be fairly normal. I don't even think we'll have to be fully vaxxed to go. Remember December 1 is when NSW start allowing the unvaxxed into things. And we are talking about March next year. I'm not sure the AFL can make a rule that over powers the state government?

I can see allocated seating that's for sure. But I don't think masks will be a thing then either. Just my two cents.

In Victoria easier to think of the AFL and the State Government as the same thing.

Unfortunately I think next year will be the most compromised of the lot. Now society will be open there will be more cases which will absolutely bleed into AFL clubs. Considering it appears as though 2 week quarantining is here to stay (despite high vax numbers) we're going to see entire teams locked at home during the season.

This sounds incredibly pessimistic I know, but is there anything to suggest it will be any different? Of course i'd love everything to be back to normal.

Unfortunately I think next year will be the most compromised of the lot. Now society will be open there will be more cases which will absolutely bleed into AFL clubs. Considering it appears as though 2 week quarantining is here to stay (despite high vax numbers) we're going to see entire teams locked at home during the season.

This sounds incredibly pessimistic I know, but is there anything to suggest it will be any different? Of course i'd love everything to be back to normal.
What happening in football in Europe, England and USA?

What happening in football in Europe, England and USA?

What IS happening?

Genuine question, has the roadmap mentioned anything about those who contract Covid? We know the vaccine doesn't necessarily stop the spread. Are we forever doomed to home isolation for a set duration of time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will probably get disruptive when it’s time for everyone to get boosters and efficacy of the vaccines begins to drop, this will hit us around next Easter/going into winter, if cases/hospitalisations surge they will probably put capacity limits back in place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back