Mega Thread >>COVID-19 DISCUSSION THREAD<<

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah look I don't disagree. But when you're trying to change hearts and minds, and specifically when you know people you care about who have been taken in by the conspiracy culture, berating doesn't get you too far.

So yeah, people who are just blatantly selfish, they're rats. But there's room to give to people who have fallen into a bad trap but can be guided out.
100% this, people underestimate how much someone can change when someone just respects them, even if it's empirically stupid.

If you want proof, look up Dayrl Davis' Ted Talk.

Anyway, these events make me so much happier that I'm a swans supporter.

Jack Darling’s “statement” would make for an interesting case-study for psychology students analysing narcissistic personality disorder.

Its an absolute corker.

Jack Darling’s “statement” would make for an interesting case-study for psychology students analysing narcissistic personality disorder.

Its an absolute corker.

My favourite part is that there is a statement at all when the club's press release said there will be no more statements.

I'm not, but Ivermectin is a dewormer. It's used on both animals and humans, though is widely accessible in its animal form.

Early on there were investigations as to a mechanism of action in Ivermectin that might help fight COVID, and there were some studies which showed it might help but these were shown to be of extremely poor quality with highly suspect data.

Some have suggested big pharma has suppressed Ivermectin in order to push the vaccine, but that makes no sense because a) pharmaceutical companies would KILL to find a novel use for a pre-existing drug, it would make way more profit than developing and testing a new product from scratch, and b) Ivermectin wouldn't even perform the same role as a vaccine - vaccines are preventative/reduce severity, while Ivermectin's initial promise was in treating SEVERE cases. They would be used in totally different ways and would not compete in the slightest.

and wouldn't the producers and marketers of all things ivermectin be pretty damned vocally fckng angry at supposedly being shut down by big pharma!??!
someone chucked that theory at me several months ago ... a few days later she was watching on her laptop a speech by craig kelly

There have been 2.3M cases in Australia since inception, 3312 deaths, 373 in ICU of which 128 are ventilated. Deaths are averaging at about 70 a day but cases are now rapidly sliding (except WA now taking hold) which will filter to reductions in deaths shortly it is hoped (source: worldometer).

McGowan classifies this as a catastrophe for Eastern States. With respect to the WA premier rather than being a catastrophe to be in end game pandemic with only 3312 deaths is somewhat a miracle I suggest though not too much for those that have lost a love one it should be said

Bit of a worry that not enough people in NSW are coming forward to get their booster shot because of a perception that Omicron is milder.

Omicron might be less severe in terms of being less likely to cause death, but people still need to get the booster...

Bit of a worry that not enough people in NSW are coming forward to get their booster shot because of a perception that Omicron is milder.

Omicron might be less severe in terms of being less likely to cause death, but people still need to get the booster...

Seems the messaging when the shackles were released in NSW of "we can do this because it's mild" is coming back to bite.

Not only that but doesn't the effectiveness against Delta also reduce over time unless you get a booster? Imo they'll make the 3rd booster mandatory in order to have a covid vaccine certificate.

Not only that but doesn't the effectiveness against Delta also reduce over time unless you get a booster? Imo they'll make the 3rd booster mandatory in order to have a covid vaccine certificate.

I don't know, but my guess would be that the vaccines are still working against Delta, given that this wave seems to have been mostly Omicron... but it would be a mistake to think that we don't still need the booster. This is going to be around for a while...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been hard to access information here in Aust about numbers of deaths and ventilated in hospital split between Omicron and Delta. Dr chant the other day said that of the ICU cases about 67% were omicron and 33% are Delta. Delta accounts for only 1% of total cases now so there is a massive disproportion split. Delta Lung disease can persist for many weeks. Therefore it's likely that many of the ventilated remain diseased delta patients holding on. So too deaths.

Thought I'd wade in here to offer my two cents. As a West Aussie I have generally agreed with our government's job at handling this pandemic (my fiancée is even more fervently on board the "Daddy WA" bandwagon.) I have seen McGowan's perspective of why suffer if you don't have to? I've understood and had great sympathy for the families that have been separated because of our border, but have been cognisant of the fact that they are a small minority of WA's population and, as an elected leader should do, McGowan's just done what the majority of his people have wanted, which is to keep the borders closed and keep WA safe. He may appear as a dictator to those outside of WA, but he didn't have two historic election victories by not being popular with the people (his election figures are even more remarkable in this age of partisanship.)

First year and a half of the pandemic, I think he'll be remembered fondly because while the rest of the world suffered huge numbers of deaths, WA didn't, and that is an achievement. So tick.

But I'm now at the point where I'm starting to wonder how possible is it to avoid huge numbers of deaths? Are we just prolonging the inevitable by continuing to think that we can keep our borders closed for however long it takes for COVID to stop mutating into new variants that will put the vulnerable at risk? Because that ain't gonna happen, and, without meaning to echo the half-wits who have been protesting and being general menaces, we can't stay closed forever.

So I'm not exactly sure what their plan is. Supposedly we will open up once we're at 90% triple-vaccinated, but who knows what the state of the pandemic will be by then? The effectiveness of those third vaccinations may have worn off for many, or there could be a whole new variant all together. It just seems like we are trying to out-run something that is already ahead of us and there's no way around it.

Sorry for the long-winded post. I've generally stayed away from this thread as I know it can be a bit contentious, but I figured everyone else has aired their thoughts, might as well air mine! (PS. Not interested in any McGowan-bashing; I don't think he's God like some but I also don't think he's a malevolent arsehole with no morals. Just want to talk about the issue itself.)

Thought I'd wade in here to offer my two cents. As a West Aussie I have generally agreed with our government's job at handling this pandemic (my fiancée is even more fervently on board the "Daddy WA" bandwagon.) I have seen McGowan's perspective of why suffer if you don't have to? I've understood and had great sympathy for the families that have been separated because of our border, but have been cognisant of the fact that they are a small minority of WA's population and, as an elected leader should do, McGowan's just done what the majority of his people have wanted, which is to keep the borders closed and keep WA safe. He may appear as a dictator to those outside of WA, but he didn't have two historic election victories by not being popular with the people (his election figures are even more remarkable in this age of partisanship.)

First year and a half of the pandemic, I think he'll be remembered fondly because while the rest of the world suffered huge numbers of deaths, WA didn't, and that is an achievement. So tick.

But I'm now at the point where I'm starting to wonder how possible is it to avoid huge numbers of deaths? Are we just prolonging the inevitable by continuing to think that we can keep our borders closed for however long it takes for COVID to stop mutating into new variants that will put the vulnerable at risk? Because that ain't gonna happen, and, without meaning to echo the half-wits who have been protesting and being general menaces, we can't stay closed forever.

So I'm not exactly sure what their plan is. Supposedly we will open up once we're at 90% triple-vaccinated, but who knows what the state of the pandemic will be by then? The effectiveness of those third vaccinations may have worn off for many, or there could be a whole new variant all together. It just seems like we are trying to out-run something that is already ahead of us and there's no way around it.

Sorry for the long-winded post. I've generally stayed away from this thread as I know it can be a bit contentious, but I figured everyone else has aired their thoughts, might as well air mine! (PS. Not interested in any McGowan-bashing; I don't think he's God like some but I also don't think he's a malevolent arsehole with no morals. Just want to talk about the issue itself.)
March 12 maybe opening

March 12 maybe opening

I heard that actually (through that dud Tom Morris of all people.)

The actual opening date is no skin off my back, I have a best mate in Melbourne who I haven't seen for a few years now, but apart from that there's no major reason I want to open. I just want our government to do whatever is best for our vulnerable, whether that be staying closed or opening up for good.

March 3 re-opening for WA, interstate and international. No quarantine if triple-vaccinated. Extensions of mask mandates and capacity restrictions in the lead up.

New contagion just dropped.

Monkeypox spreading/being detected surprisingly quickly in an unusually high amount of countries at the same time, including a possible case in Australia.

Hopefully its whatever, if not the new federal government might need to dust off the smallpox vaccines.

New contagion just dropped.

Monkeypox spreading/being detected surprisingly quickly in an unusually high amount of countries at the same time, including a possible case in Australia.

Hopefully its whatever, if not the new federal government might need to dust off the smallpox vaccines.
1 in Sydney and maybe another in Melbourne

Genuine thought.

We aren't seeing players out anymore due to "Health and Safety Protocols". Now we are seeing players out due to "Illness". Is this just a cover up so clubs don't potentially lose players for 2 games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back