List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Who do you want the Eagles to select in the Mid Season Draft?

• Luke Beecken

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • Ben Hopkins

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Trey Ruscoe

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Will McLachlan

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jacob Blight

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Jasper Scaife

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jack Hutchinson

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Geordie Payne

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I'd be shattered if we lost Yeo. He is very valuable for us in terms of helping our young mids development.

We can't compete with the ridiculous offers being mentioned but I hope we offer something that's reasonable to where he is at for him to stay. He has a family and businesses in Perth so think we can sway him to stay on significantly less than what other clubs are offering. Age is a factor and surely Yeo must realise that with his injury history he is better off staying.

I reckon the thought of 1.1 million is nice in theory but Yeo needs to think if he moves across and injury hits or things go wrong how quickly those clubs especially supporters will turn on him. He doesn't have the legendary status that he has at the Eagles. He is one of our favourite sons so there isn't much pressure for him right now as what he will get moving across to a new club who doesn't give a shit about what he has done and will be pretty ruthless if he doesn't live up to the huge contract.

At 31 next year it will be too big a move I reckon so late in his career. He is better off staying and enjoy the final three years even if it's on less for the club that will make sure he is well looked after even after his career is finished.

Last edited:
I love Yeo, he’s been awesome this year. But I don’t see the end game here in keeping him.
I don't get this mindset at all. He's been great for Harley's development, they clearly have great rapport on-field and he attracts attention away from the younger mids. Most importantly, he's helping us win again, which is vitally important for our culture.

Losing him, even if well compensated, would be a big step backwards.

Must keep Yeo.

Win a couple of games and avoid the injury plague, and now our squad’s so strong we can afford to let good players walk?

Never mind Yeo or Allen - Culley is definitely worth keeping. Good sides have good players in the reserves as depth, and if he needs to stay there for a while that’s just how it is.

I do think there’s some merit in training some players in new positions to help team balance, though. The backline is where we need it, and we’ve started with Jones and Jamieson, but I’m not convinced about either of them. Maric? Brockman?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Been busy with work and just catching up a little. Could it be of benefit to both the Crows and Eagles to get Yeo to band one compensation. Especially if we finish with pick 3-4?

Crows then receive the compensation pick via trade to take Draper and we get the Crows 1st rounder (currently pick 6) and some 2nd/3rd rounders to even the deal out?

I’d be happy for Yeo to stay, I’m not saying trade him but it would be tempting if a high pick was on the table.

I tried my absolute best to work on a deal like this last year. There were stumbling blocks to say the least and the AFL weren't happy.

Also I would suggest band 1 this year is going to be around 1mill a year for 26-27 yo players, 1.1 for 28-29 yo players and 1.2 for 30 yo players on min 3 year contracts.

North got absolutely kissed on the dick last year.

NT Academy kid I mentioned a while back. Latest game v Tassie in the Coates Talent League.

Rookie Me Central game report.

#28 Taj Stanley
Midfielder/Defender | 178cm | 31/10/2006

Stats:
33 disposals, 8 inside 50s, 8 rebound 50s

Stanley is a genuine bull in midfield and again posted monster numbers across a hard-working performance. The top-ager’s bustling running game was somewhat thwarted but it didn’t stop him from being a competitive beast around the ball, attempting to drive his legs or clear long from every contest. Like in game one, he also dropped back to defence and continued to take the game on.

Great kid. A dead set Shuey clone and mad Eagles supporter. Dad played WAFL.

Late / rookie option as he isn't playing for one of the big state teams.

Last edited:
I tried my absolute best to work on a deal like this last year. There were stumbling blocks to say the least and the AFL weren't happy.

Also I would suggest band 1 this year is going to be around 1mill a year for 26-27 yo players, 1.1 for 28-29 yo players and 1.2 for 30 yo players on min 3 year contracts.

That would be the Gresham/Saints/Shiel deal? North did get kissed on the dick but they still f**ked it up and didn’t trade for Harley. in what was a shock to everyone they still selected a midfielder and a half forward flanker.

If we are already struggling to think of the required number of players to cut, coupled with potentially adding Ruscoe at the end of the year, then I don’t think adding another body in the MSD serves any real purpose. We might just give it a miss.
I think if Hopkins is available you take him otherwise agree, not too bothered if we pass if he’s not there.

If this version of Waterman is the new Jake, having him and Oscar as our forward pillars make us arguably the most potent forward mix in the comp.

As a comparison, Waterman is 26yrs old and Oscar is 25. Charlie Curnow is 27 and McKay is 26.

If Ryan rekindles his form, Cripps continues playing his role, and Maric develops as that third tall...not a bad mix at all. Likewise if Culley can break into the team.

And everyone knew it. The system is so farcical and compromised, AFL manipulate it to get the outcomes they want with no transparency.

Seriously, there shouldn't be compo at all for FA.
If you lose someone, spend the money on another FA - other clubs shouldn't suffer by be pushed back in the draft.

Would love to keep Yeo, but only reason he stays is because of loyalty if he is offered a longer contract and much more money than we are willing to offer.
We might be rueing a decision to match if that is what is required to keep him and he spends a lot of the next 3 years on the sidelines.
I reckon he will stay because as others have said he seems like a very loyal bloke, but I don't think we should over-commit if it's demanded by him/his management.

I'm guessing this is just Yeo's manager trying to get a better deal out of the club. I'd be very surprised if Yeo wanted to move to Adelaide. He seems to LOVE playing with Harley boy, looked in prime fitness and form up untill his niggle- his partner pregnant with their first child (wouldn't they want to be in Perth and close to family?).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deep down everyone knows a 3 year Yeo deal will end in tears for us (i.e. remember how many of you blokes were saying winning games was more important than winning the Harley Reid Cup).

Worth a shot for a contender now, but for us, would be ridiculous to offer 3.

Its almost like there is a bunch of giddy schoolboys on here.... the school hottie gives them a fleeting glance and says hi in the schoolyard and next thing swayed by a glimmer of hope, they are dreaming of the banging they are going to get every night from her, completely ignoring that she has otherwise not shown any interest in them since primary school in 2018.

Michelle, if you are on BF, I hope life sucks for you!

We mock North for winning a meaningless last game against GC and missing our on Harley, but i think if they had lost that game (against a reseve grade GC) by no trying, even the AFL couldn't have given them pick 2 for McKay. There would have been a massive uproar.

That would be the Gresham/Saints/Shiel deal? North did get kissed on the dick but they still f**ked it up and didn’t trade for Harley. in what was a shock to everyone they still selected a midfielder and a half forward flanker.
I think they would have considered Curtin (well they should have) if they could have traded down from 3 to pick up pick 6 or 7 and extras, but it sounds like that was difficult to do. We also would have taken pick 2 and pick 6 or 7 for pick 1 to get McKercher and Curtin.

If we take a pick in the MSD, what does our list need most?

Probably a KPD, but if we're confident Busslinger is coming in 2025, probably not a big need. Think we're pretty set at most positions, so just BPA in our view would make sense. At worst they add something for the Beagles. At best, we unearth someone.

I think they would have considered Curtin (well they should have) if they could have traded down from 3 to pick up pick 6 or 7 and extras, but it sounds like that was difficult to do. We also would have taken pick 2 and pick 6 or 7 for pick 1 to get McKercher and Curtin.
North were absolutely nuts not to trade 3 for 6 and 11 with Melbourne. Would have had McKercher, Curtin and any one of Green, Leake or Wilson.

Briztoon said no team will be offering Yeo big money offers, so I refuse to believe this is happening.

Adelaide offered what was it? 800/850k a year for Eddie Betts years ago? The Crows aren't scared about chucking cash and years at players from other clubs.

OMG OMG

7 days until MSD!!

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Breathe Chill Out GIF by CSDRMS

Tired Deep Breath GIF by Paul McCartney

Re Rotham - he is the one we want to play well enough to land a band 3 compo for as a UFA.

Replace with Ruscoe as a DFA in the 2024 draft period. Depth 3rd tall retained and we get a pick.

Anyone else noticed Culley's position stated on the clubs site? No longer a mid status but key forward status. We are loaded with tall forwards. Allen, Waterman, Darling, Maric, J Williams, A Reid plus B Williams we want to play as a forward ruck.

Culley plus our 2024 2nd for Baker? Won't be a popular move I know but we have so many tall forwards, how does Culley get a game?

Future 2nd for Busslinger.

In: 1st Draper / FOS
Busslinger
Baker
Champion (bid matched)
Ruscoe DFA

And the FA compo pick for Rotham we use on?

And end 2025 we go all in to land Warner and get him in the guts with Reid,, Ginbey, Kelly, Hewett, (Draper/FOS) and Yeo's last season in 2026.
From my understanding Culley was playing forward in Beagles, then due to lack of supply and the need to get him match fit, he was moved to the midfield and performed strongly. Coach said he just needed a couple more weeks in Wafl (midfield) before coming into the side -presumably as a mid or mid forward utility..but I don't think he's a lock as a forward?

Last edited:
https://www.zerohanger.com/10-of-the-top-sanfl-prospects-for-the-afl-mid-season-draft-150960/9/

9. Adam D'Aloia (Woodville-West Torrens)

Explosive midfielder D'Aloia was South Australia's under-18 captain in 2022 and named the state's MVP for that year's carnival, but was surprisingly passed over at the National Draft.

Since then he has continued to add to his game and has developed into one of the best contested midfielders in the SANFL in 2024.

Still only 20 years old, D'Aloia is currently ranked in the top for disposals, tackles, clearances and inside 50s, showing his desire both with and without the ball.

While his ball-winning ability has never been questioned, his damage from clearance has improved enormously over the past 12 months, elevating him to one of the premier midfielders in the league.

Interesting.

Explosive? Recall his pace was the issue why he missed out in getting drafted. And hurt factor.

Anyone seen him first hand this season to comment how much he has improved?

Back