Clubs that are defunct or merged throughout Tasmania.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bridport Seagulls seniors program has gone into recess this year. We generally know what that means though.

This cuts real deep for me. I grew up watching Bridport in the NEFU, I’d spend a whole Saturday there watching all 3 games.

I have few ties left to Tassie, but this one had me shedding a tear.

c7c3b1eed8eed4e411397aef80983f07.jpg

Last edited:
Still thinking about the likely loss of Bridport - which I think was probably inevitable when leagues kept falling over leaving NTFA consolidation as the only option.

I wonder how many people in this thread no longer live in Tassie and almost feel guilty reading it.

I’m 38 now, I’m old, I haven’t played footy in over 20 years and I’m nearly 15 years removed from living in Tassie… yet I still feel bad for my deceased pop’s club, cos 10 years ago I reckon I could’ve gotten at least 5-8 blokes (including myself) to play magoos and help make up some numbers :(

Once a year east coast wear a jumper from one of the old teams around the area. They have wore the old Pyngana and Mathinna football club jumpers and this year I believe St. Mary's are getting a run. It's great to see them remembering some old teams that like most unfortunately didn't make it into this day and age.

Where was the Northern District Crows home ground ?
Not sure about permanently but they were playing out of the Karoola Recreation Ground just near the old hall on Pipers River Road in the 1987 season.
Mate of mine from up that way that went to the footy back in the day reckons they may have played at Rocherlea's old ground too, but I'm not familiar with a lot of northern local footy so I can't confirm.

Where was the Northern District Crows home ground ?
Northern districts ( former Brooks old boys) played out of Karoola ( trained out of Invermay Park) in the early to mid eighties, by 1987 they where playing games out of York Park after East Lton merged with City South.

Played there till at least 89 I think.

View attachment 1064312
This was the Quandeine Football Club.
Quandeine were formed around the late 1920s or early 1930s and participated in the Northern Amateurs competition until they folded following the 1982 season.
They were nicknamed the "Q's" and played at grounds such as Quane Oval and Ogilvie Park (now Bunnings store), all long gone.
They played their final days out at Launceston's Windsor Park in Riverside.
Played out of the Queechy high school oval, and Windsor park for a time as well. One of the great playing strips that one.

Anyone remember what jumper Bridgewater wore? I know they were the swans and yellow and black, but not sure if they wore a Richmond top or yellow with a black swan.

Pretty sure they wore a Richmond styled guernsey in their finals years.
Thanks Barge. I remember going to watch my late friend play in the late 80's. I know he played for Tunnack who had Richmond too but was sure I watched a him play a game against Brighton (or Mangalore) wearing one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1064312
This was the Quandeine Football Club.
Quandeine were formed around the late 1920s or early 1930s and participated in the Northern Amateurs competition until they folded following the 1982 season.
They were nicknamed the "Q's" and played at grounds such as Quane Oval and Ogilvie Park (now Bunnings store), all long gone.
They played their final days out at Launceston's Windsor Park in Riverside.
My cousin Michael Gibbons is wearing the bush jacket on the far left. He formed a pretty dangerous forward pairing with Doug Barwick at East in 1983, and this photo is either side of that, 1982 or 1984. He recently gave me his old East/South jumpers, including one which is now my most prized footy possession and quite possibly the best footy jumper ever created (yeah, bias) - his red East 1986 TFL. He is East Launceston's all time highest goal scorer! Queechy is also my old high school, but that's not where this photo was taken. Our footy jumper was the same colours, no stripe but a big Q in the middle Carlton style.

Oh ok, thought you were referencing something. We'll see what happens but I think your most likely right. Unfortunately. They had a big push early last year to get back on the field and fell over so maybe that's it.
Unfortunately, I am 100% right

My source is gold plated.

Anyone heard anything concrete out of Bridport? I spoke to a relo over the weekend who thinks they're going to have the numbers to make it back this year. That would be huge.

Are there many/any other examples of teams that have come back after going into recess over the last 20 years?

I hope they get back, they've put merch and memberships on their webpage, which feels like a nice way to contribute from afar.

Natone did it two years ago, they had a year in recess and got back the following year filling both a seniors and reserves team. The senior team also went quite deep into the finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back