Delisted Club President Lindsay Tanner - steps down to make way for Paul Brasher

Remove this Banner Ad

Tanner is off to an inauspicious start - No need to mention Hird returning to the club or Jobe's Brownlow - Especially seeing Tanner wasn't answering a direct question - Things can only get better.

I don't think he meant he'd be back as an employee of the club.

Irrespective it was really odd considering we've been trying to move on since his departure. Not saying I never want him back, just saying right now it aint gonna help anyone by telling the world you want him back in your very first interview. Play a straight bat ffs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On track? Oh dear.

Didn't think anyone could do any worse than David Evans but he gave it a fair crack.

Both are light years ahead of the brown noser from your club.

Tanner, Lay, Brasher, Barham. Keep stacking the board with heavy hitters. People like Heff are no slouches either. Good moves imo, if we want to get our s**t together on the field we have to do the same off field first.

Just an aside, does anyone know why we didn't go harder at Peter Costello after he left politics? I understand he wasn't keen to get involved on the board at first, but his love of the club is undeniable and surely if he was given a bit of a nudge after taking some serious time off he could have been convinced.

Tanner, Lay, Brasher, Barham. Keep stacking the board with heavy hitters. People like Heff are no slouches either. Good moves imo, if we want to get our s**t together on the field we have to do the same off field first.

Just an aside, does anyone know why we didn't go harder at Peter Costello after he left politics? I understand he wasn't keen to get involved on the board at first, but his love of the club is undeniable and surely if he was given a bit of a nudge after taking some serious time off he could have been convinced.
Having Tanner and Costello on the same board would be great.

Having Tanner and Costello on the same board would be great.

Australia's longest running treasurer and former deputy Liberal leader along side the man who should have been the shadow treasurer and deputy of the opposition for that entire period. While they actually have quite a lot in common they are still chalk and cheese, but I think they would balance each other out and could do good work at the club. However it won't happen, Costello has far too much on his plate and bringing the two together could potentially create a media and even political shitstorm that we don't need.

Why is that odd?

Hird and his departure was the overwhelming symbol of a lot of supporters' frustrations. Thompson wasn't.

Just thought it was odd as I thought Thompson had a falling out with the club as well which could be tied in as a casualty of the saga and Hird.

Thompson isn't that big a big ticket name in terms of being a crucible of supporters' frustrations. Hird's is.

Tanner saying "I'm going to get Hird on side again" will resonate with the masses more than "I'll get Bomber back in the fold".

It's purely populist.

Tanner is off to an inauspicious start - No need to mention Hird returning to the club or Jobe's Brownlow - Especially seeing Tanner wasn't answering a direct question - Things can only get better.

Agree Yaco.

Have no idea why someone with his experience would dig up wounds and create another round of media blitz. Its like they've been asleep for the last 3 years.

I reckon Tanner and Lay are good additions to the board, but Lay has a lot on his plate (most of it more important than a football club) and I dislike ALL politicians being interviewed.

If he gets asked hard questions, I hope he gives hard answers without deflecting or changing the subject.

Don't know if a politician is what we need right now with guys like Woosha and McKenna, I'd prefer a similarly straight talking Chairman.

Not that I think he'll do a bad job of running the club, I just hope I don't see any press conferences with him in them.

As for Lay, I would have thought the Ziggy audit should have covered off governance and similar issues, not sure what Lay will bring to the table.

As for Lay, I would have thought the Ziggy audit should have covered off governance and similar issues, not sure what Lay will bring to the table.
Lay is noted for bringing about significant cultural change in the police force from memory. It's one thing to have some report in your hand saying s**t needs to change, it's another to actually be able to implement the changes and I think Lay would be good for that.

Australia's longest running treasurer and former deputy Liberal leader along side the man who should have been the shadow treasurer and deputy of the opposition for that entire period. While they actually have quite a lot in common they are still chalk and cheese, but I think they would balance each other out and could do good work at the club. However it won't happen, Costello has far too much on his plate and bringing the two together could potentially create a media and even political shitstorm that we don't need.

Could always get Tim Costello and employ Seb Costello as the media man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back