Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Dixon is not even close to our best kf this year.

It’s been Mitch and it’s not even close.

Like lycetts end Dixon has given his direct opponents their season best , hell maybe even career best games. Pearce will not top that performance this year. Keane may not top that performance again in his career.

He’s done. He will have a resurgence here and there, he’s too seasoned a player not too, but overall he’s doing more harm than good right now.
If you look at Pearce and Keane's statistic below its clear to see that Charlie is not the only forward they have touched up. There are at least 3 other games for both where all of their relevant stats are close to their games against Port. Season best games? Debatable. At the very least the season is not over yet. Career best? Unlikely.

Dixon is not fit and doesn't move like he used to and defenders are running off him. Its a problem. Whats the solution? Let Marshall take the number one defender each week in his current form? Can you honestly tell me that is going to end much better? or Mitch? What do you think Alex Pearce would do to Mitch? If you can cut off the leads of those players or if the 1st KPD has the pace to go with them they would be dead in the water.

Its east to say Mitch has been our best after 4 games, the last two in which he has scored 1.5. He plays on the 3rd stringer KPD each week. How do you think he is going to fare as the go to man? I love Mitch I want him to be the best he can be. But he won't ever take the 1st KPD and there is no way at this stage I'd have him as our best performed key forward. Probably have Finlayson up with him with the jury out on both until they have played more games. Again, Finlayson plays on the 3rd string KPD.

I probably wouldn't have much between Finlayson, Mitch and Charlie right now.

Alex Pearce
1715191650485.png

Mark Keane
1715192370663.png

A self confessed "car lover who happens to be good at footy'. Dixon called supporters "stupid" and said our opinions "were not even worth two cents" when we dared to critcise the great Ken Hinkley. He's always "banged up" or injured, The Hinkley "I need you Charlie!' at last years B&F. I won't even touch the forward craft. It's rather wearing.
I think Charlie is one of the victims of Hinkley's brain dead game plan - in a proper system he may have been far more effective.

If you look at Pearce and Keane's statistic below its clear to see that Charlie is not the only forward they have touched up. There are at least 3 other games for both where all of their relevant stats are close to their games against Port. Season best games? Debatable. At the very least the season is not over yet. Career best? Unlikely.

Dixon is not fit and doesn't move like he used to and defenders are running off him. Its a problem. Whats the solution? Let Marshall take the number one defender each week in his current form? Can you honestly tell me that is going to end much better? or Mitch? What do you think Alex Pearce would do to Mitch? If you can cut off the leads of those players or if the 1st KPD has the pace to go with them they would be dead in the water.

Its east to say Mitch has been our best after 4 games, the last two in which he has scored 1.5. He plays on the 3rd stringer KPD each week. How do you think he is going to fare as the go to man? I love Mitch I want him to be the best he can be. But he won't ever take the 1st KPD and there is no way at this stage I'd have him as our best performed key forward. Probably have Finlayson up with him with the jury out on both until they have played more games. Again, Finlayson plays on the 3rd string KPD.

I probably wouldn't have much between Finlayson, Mitch and Charlie right now.

Alex Pearce
View attachment 1983389

Mark Keane
View attachment 1983390

Todd already proved number 1 defenders aren’t an issue in 2022 when he had an excellent season.

Mitch is doing more with less chances than Dixon. If his usage rate went up so is that output.

As for those number 1 defenders, they’re not carving us up if Dixon isn’t there, cause Dixon’s stupidity was playing right into their hands.

If you could let those guys choose how their opponent plays, they would choose exactly what Dixon does. They don’t want to run after Todd or wonder where the * Mitch, who avoids touch so he can run and jump, is coming from.

What’s the solution?

Sack Hinkley or Dixon miraculously wakes up with an extra brain cell or we dump Dixon, which isn’t realistic when lords been injured and finlayson out.

I would love for us to dump Dixon for lord / finlayson, but I’m a realist. I know where only doing that to rest Dixon. Cause our coach is a moron.

As I’ve said before Dixon is a good kf who plays dumb as * football. He’s been our best kf and a worthy acquisition. But he’s well and truly done now. He’s so finished. Which would be manageable if the coach recognised it and done what most other coach’s do in the the situation and change how that player is used ie lean into him being a bit more of a decoy / lower his usage rate.

Todd already proved number 1 defenders aren’t an issue in 2022 when he had an excellent season.
He was good against teams with crap defence in the first half of the season.

Round 1 vs Brisbane. Did sweet * all. 2 marks, 4 kicks for 1 goal. Harris Andrews had 11 disposals and 5 marks. Marcus Adams also had 20 disposals and 11 marks.
Round 2 vs Hawthorn. He was even worse, just the 2 kicks, no score.
Round 3 vs Adelaide, kicked 5 goals. Played on Billy Frampton all night, Nick Murray being omitted and Butts chasing Georgiades around all night.
Round 4 vs Melbourne. 0 scores, 6 kicks, 4 marks (1 contested). Got his first Goal Assist for the year. Melbourne's number 1 defender Steven May has 9 marks, 23 disposals.
Round 5 vs Carlton 0 scores, 1 goal assist. 9 kicks, 1 handball. 5 marks. Weitering has 6 marks. Now 5 marks is pretty nice, its the same number that Curnow and McKay took in the game. Oh wait McKay kicked 3 goals, and Curnow kicked 5 goals. None of Todd's marks are inside 50.

Forward line is going really good with Marshall as the number 1 forward.

Round 6 vs West Coast. Time for Toddy to shine again. 5 goals. 11 marks, 5 are inside 50. Note that this game and the Crows game (3) are the only times Todd has taken more than 1 mark inside 50
Round 7 vs St Kilda up in Cairns. This was a stinker for talls all over the game. He's rated as Port's 19th best player ahead of just Clurey, Finlayson, Georgiades and Duursma (who went off injured with just 25% game time). 1 goal, no goal assists. 4 marks one of them inside 50. 5 kicks.
Round 8 vs Bulldogs, scoring 2.1, 2 assists, 8 marks (3 inside 50) 5 inside 50s himself. 11 kicks. The Dogs had no Alex Keath and no Liam Jones. And they lost Tim O'Brien in the third. Which was when Todd stepped up helping Port turn the game. Todd took 4 contested marks in this game. His highest for the whole season.
Round 9 vs North Melbourne scores 3.1, 11 kicks, 6 marks (4 inside 50). Outs for North Melbourne: Ben McKay (injured).
Round 10 vs Geelong, 2 goals, 0 assists, 2 marks (both inside 50). Laid 6 tackles. Port had 61 inside 50s. Had 3 score involvements, so he was involved in 1 other players goal.

Round 11 vs Essendon: 8 marks, equal third highest in the year. 14 kicks. Kicked 1.1. Score involvements 3.
Round 13 vs Richmond: 8 marks, 3.1. 5 score invovlements.
Round 14 vs Sydney: 4.2, 13 kicks, 8 marks (6 inside 50).
Round 15 vs Gold Coast 5 marks (4 inside 50), 4 goals.

Man Todd is really tearing it up after round 11. Oh I just checked Round 11 Port Adelaide Ins: Charlie Dixon.
Might as well stop because Charlie played every game after coming in, and Todd was far more consistent in the second half of the season.

He was good against teams with crap defence in the first half of the season.

Round 1 vs Brisbane. Did sweet * all. 2 marks, 4 kicks for 1 goal. Harris Andrews had 11 disposals and 5 marks. Marcus Adams also had 20 disposals and 11 marks.
Round 2 vs Hawthorn. He was even worse, just the 2 kicks, no score.
Round 3 vs Adelaide, kicked 5 goals. Played on Billy Frampton all night, Nick Murray being omitted and Butts chasing Georgiades around all night.
Round 4 vs Melbourne. 0 scores, 6 kicks, 4 marks (1 contested). Got his first Goal Assist for the year. Melbourne's number 1 defender Steven May has 9 marks, 23 disposals.
Round 5 vs Carlton 0 scores, 1 goal assist. 9 kicks, 1 handball. 5 marks. Weitering has 6 marks. Now 5 marks is pretty nice, its the same number that Curnow and McKay took in the game. Oh wait McKay kicked 3 goals, and Curnow kicked 5 goals. None of Todd's marks are inside 50.

Forward line is going really good with Marshall as the number 1 forward.

Round 6 vs West Coast. Time for Toddy to shine again. 5 goals. 11 marks, 5 are inside 50. Note that this game and the Crows game (3) are the only times Todd has taken more than 1 mark inside 50
Round 7 vs St Kilda up in Cairns. This was a stinker for talls all over the game. He's rated as Port's 19th best player ahead of just Clurey, Finlayson, Georgiades and Duursma (who went off injured with just 25% game time). 1 goal, no goal assists. 4 marks one of them inside 50. 5 kicks.
Round 8 vs Bulldogs, scoring 2.1, 2 assists, 8 marks (3 inside 50) 5 inside 50s himself. 11 kicks. The Dogs had no Alex Keath and no Liam Jones. And they lost Tim O'Brien in the third. Which was when Todd stepped up helping Port turn the game. Todd took 4 contested marks in this game. His highest for the whole season.
Round 9 vs North Melbourne scores 3.1, 11 kicks, 6 marks (4 inside 50). Outs for North Melbourne: Ben McKay (injured).
Round 10 vs Geelong, 2 goals, 0 assists, 2 marks (both inside 50). Laid 6 tackles. Port had 61 inside 50s. Had 3 score involvements, so he was involved in 1 other players goal.

Round 11 vs Essendon: 8 marks, equal third highest in the year. 14 kicks. Kicked 1.1. Score involvements 3.
Round 13 vs Richmond: 8 marks, 3.1. 5 score invovlements.
Round 14 vs Sydney: 4.2, 13 kicks, 8 marks (6 inside 50).
Round 15 vs Gold Coast 5 marks (4 inside 50), 4 goals.

Man Todd is really tearing it up after round 11. Oh I just checked Round 11 Port Adelaide Ins: Charlie Dixon.
Might as well stop because Charlie played every game after coming in, and Todd was far more consistent in the second half of the season.
Nice one Duckman.

Mitch is doing more with less chances than Dixon. If his usage rate went up so is that output.

As for those number 1 defenders, they’re not carving us up if Dixon isn’t there, cause Dixon’s stupidity was playing right into their hands.

If you could let those guys choose how their opponent plays, they would choose exactly what Dixon does. They don’t want to run after Todd or wonder where the * Mitch, who avoids touch so he can run and jump, is coming from.

What’s the solution?

Sack Hinkley or Dixon miraculously wakes up with an extra brain cell or we dump Dixon, which isn’t realistic when lords been injured and finlayson out.

I would love for us to dump Dixon for lord / finlayson, but I’m a realist. I know where only doing that to rest Dixon. Cause our coach is a moron.

As I’ve said before Dixon is a good kf who plays dumb as * football. He’s been our best kf and a worthy acquisition. But he’s well and truly done now. He’s so finished. Which would be manageable if the coach recognised it and done what most other coach’s do in the the situation and change how that player is used ie lean into him being a bit more of a decoy / lower his usage rate.

Believe what you want. This Dixon-free forward fairyland that you and some other posters seem to think existed in 2022, didn't. And 2024 Todd's form is not a patch on 2022 Todd.

The hypothetical 'grass is greener' without Dixon scenarios you are describing would result on better defenders playing on the remainder of our forward line. Based on their form so far this season it wouldn't end well.

What’s the solution?

Dbj had one excellent season as well.

Believe what you want. This Dixon-free forward fairyland that you and some other posters seem to think existed in 2022, didn't. And 2024 Todd's form is not a patch on 2022 Todd.

The hypothetical 'grass is greener' without Dixon scenarios you are describing would result on better defenders playing on the remainder of our forward line. Based on their form so far this season it wouldn't end well.

There’s a fair bit of rewriting of history going on here. Dixon not only missed a chunk of 2022, but when he came back was very underdone and we still played through Todd a great deal more than usual still. That changed slowly as the year went on and we reverted to type more and more.

we didn’t target Dixon in 2022 like we normally do when he returned.

These “better” defenders you talk about absolutely hate kfs who are mobile and can move , and hate kfs who avoid touch and they have to have eyes in the back of their head so they don’t feature on a highlight reel as a step stool. They love kfs who stand there.

The better defenders in the league are horrible match ups for Todd and Georgiades.

In any case we’re going to get the chance to see a post - Dixon forward line soon. Hopefully we haven’t destroyed our kfs by then, which we’re having a good crack at.

Hinkley is 100% committed to his bomb it to Dixon strategy. And if Dixon is unavailable he’ll bring a ‘like’ replacement so the strategy can continue uninterrupted. He brought in Sweet for Dixon not that long ago.

It doesn’t matter how much the mountain of evidence shows the strategy doesn’t work he won’t admit he’s wrong and change things up.

Signature Hinkley

You had me at this :D

Why?

It’s completely true. They’re not good match ups for Todd and Georgiades.

they don’t want to chase players. They want to stay in their zone.

Teams also don’t want their best defenders chasing players, they want them in the hot spot where they can contest the most inside 50’s.

Todd and Mitch are a little more unique.

I do think they’ll be better served by having a good third with them going forward (one that isn’t as cooked like Dixon)

Last edited:
There’s a fair bit of rewriting of history going on here. Dixon not only missed a chunk of 2022, but when he came back was very underdone and we still played through Todd a great deal more than usual still. That changed slowly as the year went on and we reverted to type more and more.

Marshall averaged 10.33 disposals and 6 marks a game for Dixons first 6 games back.

He averaged 12.6 disposals and 6.4 marks a game for the last 5 games of the season.

That is us playing through Todd a great deal more than usual when Dixon first got back.

Who is rewriting history? Seriously.

Why?

It’s completely true. They’re not good match ups for Todd and Georgiades.

they don’t want to chase players. They want to stay in their zone.

Teams also don’t want their best defenders chasing players, they want them in the hot spot where they can contest the most inside 50’s.

Todd and Mitch are a little more unique.

I do think they’ll be better served by having a good third with them going forward (one that isn’t as cooked like Dixon)

Yep. 2024 Todd and Mitch would have cut up the oppositions best defenders and spat them out. Then routed the opposition with their kicking for goal. Damn Dixon for being available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back