Senior Charlie Cameron (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie was 23 at Adelaide now with Schache gone 23 is available.

As I have posted elsewhere, IMO CC has only scratched the surface of how good a player he can be - only really been playing the game for 5 years.

Then there is the other things he brings to the club. Can someone with better skills post the Hammo article here? Wants to do community work up where he comes from - Mornington Island, and help indigenous kids in our Academy.

Another bonus is coming from a Grand Final club, and knowing what it takes. I am big on getting premiership players as they know how to go about it. Whilst not that, he is as good as.

All in all, Noble and Fagan are about building a culture, and CC's recruitment is about that as much as his contribution as a player.

I first thought we overpaid, but on reflection he is a wise investment.

Charlie Cameron wanted Brisbane move to be closer to his community
Andrew Hamilton, The Courier-Mail
October 20, 2017 6:00pm

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...y/news-story/f9c9e3e5f3188b30aff8504400efadc0

CHARLIE Cameron is one of a kind.

The 23-year-old is the only person from the Gulf of Carpentaria to ever make it onto an AFL list – Sudan and the US have produced more players.

Cameron comes from a small settlement of 200 people on Mornington Island, the northernmost of the 22 Wellesley Islands inside the Gulf.

Lions officials were stunned during their interview process when he asked about what assistance they could provide him in finding community work in the Gulf and also if there was a role for him within their academy.

Although far north Queensland is Suns recruiting territory, the Lions are happy to second Cameron to the AFLQ to work in their programs.

“I am from a remote community at Mornington Island and I want to be closer to there,’’ Cameron said.

“I feel I can do something up there, contribute in some way, I wouldn’t mind doing stuff with young kids and being a role model.

“The Lions have a couple of quiet indigenous kids in their academy and I am also looking to get involved there and help where I can.’’

ece2f68a302bcf9406e50c1b1f27c4a3

Charlie Cameron has left Adelaide for Brisbabne. Picture: Getty Images

Cameron is like the fish that wriggled off the hook but ended up jumping into the boat.

The newest Lion went to school in Brisbane on a rugby scholarship at Marist Brothers Ashgrove.

He played Australian Rules for a term and immediately impressed Lions scouts who invited him into their academy as a 16-year-old.

But when the school footy season ended he drifted out of the academy and back into serous rugby.

That all changed when his father got a mining job in North West Western Australia and packed the family up and moved across the country.

With no rugby to play at Newman he wandered down to the local footy cub and it wasn’t long before scouts from WAFL side Swan Districts spotted him.

Given he was a later starter he was overlooked in his draft year but the Crows took a punt on him in the rookie draft of 2014.

b32e55bd3e333fcf4725b40aa1dfb8a5

Charlie Cameron signing autographs for Crows fans after their Grand Final loss. Picture: AAP

He was one of their better players in the Grand Final loss to Richmond but now, via Newman, Perth and Adelaide, he is back in Brisbane.

However, he may be the only Queenslander on the Lions’ list who would struggle to name anyone beyond Simon Black and Jonathon Brown from the great Brisbane premiership era.

“I didn’t really play footy at a younger age, I was a rugby fan,’’ he said.

“I didn’t really watch AFL back in the day so I don’t know too many of the great old players yet.’’

However, he is up to speed on the current crop.

He said he could see the nucleus of future success with developing key position players Eric Hipwood and Harris Andrews and midfielders Hugh McCluggage and established stars Dayne Beams and Dayne Zorko in their prime.

Be interesting to see how Charlie goes in the next few years. Whilst some may have raised their eyebrows at pick 12 for Chuck, I didn't think it was too far off the mark, I think he is that good a player to be worth a mid/late first ( particularly and as a Crows supporter I can understand this, having a player who actually wants to come to the club and not leave the club, it is worth a dash of sugar on top).

If Charlie comes in and just plays forward of centre, then he will play some bloody good games but not be worth the pick he went for. If you can get him to play wing with stints up forward, then it will be a good payoff. He will have some off games, his type of talent is not going to be there every match and you have to accept that but if he shaves the distance between his great games and his poor ones, he may become the player I kind of hoped he would be at the Crows.

Put it this way, it is going to suck seeing him play somewhere else, think he is a rare talent.

I agree pick 12 was a fair price for Cameron. He has absolute elite ability and this was demonstrated when he kicked 5 in the preliminary final. Can't wait to see him light up the gabba, he will make a huge difference to our team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL360 tonight, Robbo gave Charlie the biggest wrap for his sensational 8 action goal against the SUNS.....reckons not only his (Robbo's) goal of the round, but goal of the year!

He loved it, said well done Charlie.

Ditto:thumbsu:

Lions spy chance to topple tired Pies
BRISBANE'S Charlie Cameron thinks there might be a chink in Collingwood's armour ahead of Sunday's game following the Magpies' recent heavy workload.

After its Anzac Day victory against Essendon, Collingwood turned around four days later to lose against Richmond. Sunday's match against the Lions at the Gabba will be Collingwood's third in 12 days.

"Collingwood have had a good month of footy, but they've had three or four games with quick turnarounds," Cameron said on Thursday. "It's pretty taxing, running 13 to 14k's a game and a quick turnaround. "We'll expect them to come out firing, we've got to expect that, but hopefully we can return that with our contested ball and play our way."

The Lions are winless after six rounds and fresh off a 34-point loss to Greater Western Sydney, where they matched the Giants in most areas but moved the ball poorly forward of centre. Cameron was speaking at Marist College in Ashgrove, where he attended boarding school for five years before heading to Western Australia and ultimately being drafted by Adelaide.

With a horde of young children around him, Cameron reflected on his time at the school, saying Australian Rules was far from his first love. "I didn't really get into it because the school is so rugby-orientated, so I played a lot of rugby," he said. "It's always good to come out and have fun with the kids because Queensland is a rugby state, so it's good to teach them stuff I've learnt with AFL and put a smile on their faces."
580626-tlslargeportrait.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back