Changing the Australian Flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Nepal.

And it is a truly wonderful flag.

it's also entirely mathematical

In other news, I feel the flag should maintain the majority blue somehow.

It is our island home and I feel the flag should reflect that.

I like this, but with a conventional southern cross. Stripes could be vertical either.

It symbolises the past red/white. The present southern cross. And the future -environmental green and gold,

Alternately red for the earth, white for the shoreline, blue for the big sky gold for mining and green for agriculture

There’s no need to combine aboriginal or Torres flag they are official flags too

1706326712867.jpeg

Those stripes would be awesome in a furled flag too

Last edited:

Reddit has some good alternatives.

I liked this one...

flag-i-made-for-independent-australia-the-colours-on-the-v0-qjw1p4m7o2a91.png

I was bored tonight while spending the weekend at my in-laws' place, so I pulled together two options that try to incorporate elements of our existing flag and the Aboriginal flag, to acknowledge the combination of our heritage. Both use the colour scheme of the Aboriginal flag (with the red still representing the earth and the black still representing the people that have been here for tens of thousands of years), but the sun is replaced by the seven-pointed federation star (representing the new country that was formed in 1901). The strip of colour in between the black and red could either be blue (to represent the water surrounding our island nation) or green (to acknowledge our traditional green/gold national colours).

Option 1
Flag 1.png

Option 2
Flag 2.png

They both look flag-gy but aesthetically I don't think either have anything particularly special about them.

I was bored tonight while spending the weekend at my in-laws' place, so I pulled together two options that try to incorporate elements of our existing flag and the Aboriginal flag, to acknowledge the combination of our heritage. Both use the colour scheme of the Aboriginal flag (with the red still representing the earth and the black still representing the people that have been here for tens of thousands of years), but the sun is replaced by the seven-pointed federation star (representing the new country that was formed in 1901). The strip of colour in between the black and red could either be blue (to represent the water surrounding our island nation) or green (to acknowledge our traditional green/gold national colours).

Option 1
View attachment 1893747

Option 2
View attachment 1893748

They both look flag-gy but aesthetically I don't think either have anything particularly special about them.
The potential problem with using the Federation star is that because it's points represent the states and territories, there may be opposition due to some arguing that this may symbolize a vestige of colonialism.

Australians might eventually farewell the union flag, but losing a predominantly blue flag with white southern cross is probably a change too many. The res temptation to load up with symbolism, but it needs to be kept simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do like the design but it comes across more as a corporate / company logo design to me.

ScoMo didn't come up with it did he?
It looks like the logo of some outsourced government service that makes you take a ticket and wait three hours before you can approach the counter

I do like the design but it comes across more as a corporate / company logo design to me.

ScoMo didn't come up with it did he?

You could say it’s appropriate as excessive border lockdowns in covid. showed us we are a big company mining town.

Ironically the episode gave us a taste of how we treat aboriginals for many decades, needing permission from ‘controllers’ to travel or do almost anything

Indigenous people. I thought that was obvious.

Changing the flag is an incredibly difficult process. Turning it into a culture war by replacing the Union jack with the aboriginal flag would tank any chance of the flag being changed.

Indigenous don’t want the flag incorporated im told. Just stick to colours for symbolism.

It must carry one unifying message, not little inclusions for every segment of our community.

If every special intererst group had their input, the flag would end up looking like the technicolour dreamcoat.
What this handsome guy said.

I think in the 12 ensuing years the Wattle is probably the strongest idea for a new national symbol. It is something that we all share.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back