Prediction Round 8, 2024: Changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well...there goes all the excitement sucked out of the room. Another wasted debut due to being a sub.

I predicate what i am about to say by saying i hate the sub rule, but, having a young player (on debut even) as the sub makes sense. They are unlikely to be able to run a full game out effectively at this stage. Having them as sub means they don't have to. If they start, the plans to sub them may be impacted if an injury to another player occurs. You'd then end up effectively a man short when they predictably run out of gas.

I predicate what i am about to say by saying i hate the sub rule, but, having a young player (on debut even) as the sub makes sense. They are unlikely to be able to run a full game out effectively at this stage. Having them as sub means they don't have to. If they start, the plans to sub them may be impacted if an injury to another player occurs. You'd then end up effectively a man short when they predictably run out of gas.

IMO it was more of an issue when the sub couldn’t be activated unless there was an injury, and you’d end up with a player “debuting” but never actually getting to play.

IMO it was more of an issue when the sub couldn’t be activated unless there was an injury, and you’d end up with a player “debuting” but never actually getting to play.

Agree with this.

Don't Melbourne have a 2021 premiership player who never actually played that game?

If I was a Melbourne player I would have 100% faked an injury in the last 10 min or so when the game was done and dusted just to get him on the field.

Agree with this.

Don't Melbourne have a 2021 premiership player who never actually played that game?

If I was a Melbourne player I would have 100% faked an injury in the last 10 min or so when the game was done and dusted just to get him on the field.
Yeah pretty amazing given the huge margin. Couldn’t have been an oversight. However equally weird if not.

Yeah pretty amazing given the huge margin. Couldn’t have been an oversight. However equally weird if not.

I was sure May had gone off injured in the last 10 minutes to let Jordon come on, but according to the official stats it didn’t happen.

I was sure May had gone off injured in the last 10 minutes to let Jordon come on, but according to the official stats it didn’t happen.
I thought it was Harmes and the AFL didn't allow it because he wasn't injured so couldn't be subbed out.

Alternatively starting them as a sub results in the same dilemma if a player goes down early in the game. So really doesnt matter if they are starting sub or not.

Off to the game day thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back