Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 19 vs. Essendon, Sun 24/07, 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange time to be doing heavy training loads and almost lose our spot in the top 8...
I don't think the heavy training loads was by design. Seems to me that Fly just thought to taper back the training after heavy weather games.

Been watching the game and Adelaide has been by far the better side in the second and third quarter. Sydney will still win.

Also, Sydney will have to face a Collingwood side with the inclusions of Grundy, DeGoey, Adams and IQ.

What I've watched Sydney are beatable in Sydney!
Sydney are very patchy. Play brilliantly for a quarter or so, and also let opposition score bags of goals in a row. We move the ball well these days, so I'd at least expect us to have a good patch against them which will put us in the game.

AFL did the same. I think his tackling ability is good and the conditions weren't great so you'd kind of expect it.

Depends what people are looking for. Carmichael had high meters gained numbers, the most stoppage clearances, high tackle numbers, and kicked a goal. Some might think that outweighs poor disposal efficiency.

Depends what people are looking for. Carmichael had high meters gained numbers, the most stoppage clearances, high tackle numbers, and kicked a goal. Some might think that outweighs poor disposal efficiency.
A lot of his kicks were off the ground while running and under pressure and in very wet conditions.

Half time scores showing North Melbourne and Adelaide being monstered by Sydney and Hawthorn respectively provides an unwelcome bit of context to our narrow wins over the first two clubs. This game against Essendon, like the others to follow, looms as a huge obstacle. The record of Anzac day game results being reversed in the return match strikes a cautionary note too.
Nope. It just doesn't work like that. Ever. We are 6 from the last 7 against the Dees. We played Adelaide on their patch in the wet. Huge difference. North knocked off Richmond last week. Again, they play the Hawks in front of a dog and three fans in Tassie. Motivation factor very low after the huge high of last week. Footy is complex.
We also have a fantastic record against the much hyped Swan's on their home ground.

If the Hawks have shown us up why are they languishing near the bottom?

Just before a critical game in the season - win it and we've almost sealed top 8; lose it and missing finals is a real possibility. I've been thinking about where our list is at and how good we've really been this year.

I think our team overall lacks for a bit of talent, and some of that we do have is at the older end. We've been competitive or winning games more on full team effort and a strong defence - in my view our only elite line when fully fit (except for when that was compromised early in the year due to the game plan not being bedded in).

This explains why we've been able to perform against and even beat good sides, while struggling to beat poor ones, and almost never winning comfortably. The effort just cannot be fully consistent every week, and it's always more likely to drop against a lower opponent. Our strong defence and quality veterans has helped us hold on in close games and led us to an unconvincing 8 game win streak (winning is winning tho and I'm extremely happy with that streak).

Missing De Goey and Grundy, two A grade, potentially elite players for significant portions is part of the problem. We can't afford to be missing players of this ilk, especially when replaced by a first gamer like Carmichael or Begg. The simple fact is we do need extra talent. Some of that will come from existing young players that aren't yet producing consistently. If we hit on most all of our recent draftees we'll be mostly fine. That's a stretch. So if we do have some of our middle to top end veterans moving at the end of the year, we must take the opportunity to skew younger. It's not fair to put our hopes on one player, but our timeline is now the ND timeline and I feel like we have too many 27+ year olds going into next year.

Let's see where the season takes us. The return of Grundy and JDG could elevate this team, though there's a risk that they'll take time to find touch and that could be costly. Playing at or near their best they improve us significantly (even talking Grundy's 2022 best). Most healthy teams playing at their absolute peak can challenge any other, and we certainly can do that. It could mean we play finals, maybe even challenge. None of that should make us lose sight of the fact the team still needs development and a clear eyed list management strategy for ongoing success, not top ups to build on this year.

At the other end it would not be at all surprising to see us lose our remaining games and miss the eight. That's going to make it easier to remain clear eyed, but I'm definitely not hoping for it. Let's play to win and then assess what needs to happen. A bold strategy of moving on some older players could be very exciting for next season. Sticking mostly with what we have but also adding in some young talent could be ok, but still leaves me a little concerned. Bringing in 2-3 mid-aged players 26+ years of age would be a major concern. No more than one of these at the absolute most.

Just before a critical game in the season - win it and we've almost sealed top 8; lose it and missing finals is a real possibility. I've been thinking about where our list is at and how good we've really been this year.

I think our team overall lacks for a bit of talent, and some of that we do have is at the older end. We've been competitive or winning games more on full team effort and a strong defence - in my view our only elite line when fully fit (except for when that was compromised early in the year due to the game plan not being bedded in).

This explains why we've been able to perform against and even beat good sides, while struggling to beat poor ones, and almost never winning comfortably. The effort just cannot be fully consistent every week, and it's always more likely to drop against a lower opponent. Our strong defence and quality veterans has helped us hold on in close games and led us to an unconvincing 8 game win streak (winning is winning tho and I'm extremely happy with that streak).

Missing De Goey and Grundy, two A grade, potentially elite players for significant portions is part of the problem. We can't afford to be missing players of this ilk, especially when replaced by a first gamer like Carmichael or Begg. The simple fact is we do need extra talent. Some of that will come from existing young players that aren't yet producing consistently. If we hit on most all of our recent draftees we'll be mostly fine. That's a stretch. So if we do have some of our middle to top end veterans moving at the end of the year, we must take the opportunity to skew younger. It's not fair to put our hopes on one player, but our timeline is now the ND timeline and I feel like we have too many 27+ year olds going into next year.

Let's see where the season takes us. The return of Grundy and JDG could elevate this team, though there's a risk that they'll take time to find touch and that could be costly. Playing at or near their best they improve us significantly (even talking Grundy's 2022 best). Most healthy teams playing at their absolute peak can challenge any other, and we certainly can do that. It could mean we play finals, maybe even challenge. None of that should make us lose sight of the fact the team still needs development and a clear eyed list management strategy for ongoing success, not top ups to build on this year.

At the other end it would not be at all surprising to see us lose our remaining games and miss the eight. That's going to make it easier to remain clear eyed, but I'm definitely not hoping for it. Let's play to win and then assess what needs to happen. A bold strategy of moving on some older players could be very exciting for next season. Sticking mostly with what we have but also adding in some young talent could be ok, but still leaves me a little concerned. Bringing in 2-3 mid-aged players 26+ years of age would be a major concern. No more than one of these at the absolute most.
Our percentage is def a reflection of where we really are. Objectively and on paper, our list is around 8th atm. I had us finishing 13th but McRae has exceeded all expectations. I agree with everything however, we have a lot of holes. Hoping to play finals, and anything can happen. Objectively though we don’t have a flag capable team as it stands. That doesn’t mean one can’t be stolen, but we aren’t the best team.

Our percentage is def a reflection of where we really are. Objectively and on paper, our list is around 8th atm. I had us finishing 13th but McRae has exceeded all expectations. I agree with everything however, we have a lot of holes. Hoping to play finals, and anything can happen. Objectively though we don’t have a flag capable team as it stands. That doesn’t mean one can’t be stolen, but we aren’t the best team.
Certainly don't have the best side going through a mini rebuild.

Not saying it's going to happen but . . . .

Anyone who doubts we can do it . . .

Read about the '58 flag we won and how we won it.

We were 2 levels below the astonishing Melbourne team that had already won 3 in a row but we simply didn't give them the chance to be creative for even a second that day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back