Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 15 vs. GWS, Sun 26/06, 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s the knock on him? Possessions aren’t a good indicator of performance if he burns the ball when he gets it then that’s a problem. If he’s a lock down type then that explains the low possession rate.

As others have already pointed out, sometimes players perform better surrounded by quality. Looks forward to watching him play!

His disposal can let him down.

Firstly no it isn’t because Begg had actually looked AFL capable when he beat up on 2nd rucks and secondly the words anyone, but come to mind. T Brown off the back of basically no footy in 3 weeks offers more. Reading a little more of the subtext behind the state of play at VFL level and this has more to do with others than Chugg. Which if true leaves me accepting the Chugg train.
Must have missed the games where Begg beat up on 2nd rucks but I’ll take your word for it.

I suggested Ruscoe in and Maynard but that was always unlikely and a big risk coming up against a team with Toby Green. Ruscoe in Noble to the wing, Sidebottom to Lipiniski’s spot and Lippa to De Goey’s would be my next suggestion but it’s clear McRae doesn’t rate Ruscoe. Not sure how Chugg can be worse than T Brown over and I think Chugg has better physicality for a scrubber last man picked role but of course Sunday could prove me horribly wrong.

On your last point I felt that way about Begg selections.

What’s the knock on him? Possessions aren’t a good indicator of performance if he burns the ball when he gets it then that’s a problem. If he’s a lock down type then that explains the low possession rate.

As others have already pointed out, sometimes players perform better surrounded by quality. Looks forward to watching him play!
The knock on him would be because haven't seen him live or train much. A lot of his hard work goes unrewarded in the VFL, his kicking looks to have improved also. Chugg is a bit of an athletic freak for his size. As one oif his family members mentioned, he didn't even know he was being drafted and came from a long way back

Chugg might end up tagging or at least running with the other Green in the middle. He’s a bit of a danger man, could rack up a lot of possessions and get in and under better than us. Chugg could be a good match up.

Team will be pumped to win and make it a great day for Brayden’s 150th.
I hope that you are right but I think that this is very much a very danger game & especially with the the form that Toby Green is in plus their deep mid-field. Goodnight & good luck!

Is there any footage of Lethal speaking to the players - was it yesterday? This was a good move from Fly, a distraction that the team needed, or at worst a different voice.

To state the bleeding obvious, it’s a critical game for us on Sunday.

Hey mate, I come here in peace, with an invested interest in Chugg (family member) to try and answer your question. In some ways you have probably answered it yourself. Isaac never expected to be drafted in the first place, he came from a long way back. Spent his whole junior career as mid and the early part of his senior career with Launceston on the wings, he was dropped and when he came back in was played as a defender on the most dangerous small forwards but made the spot his own with his speed and hardness at the contest. This was the role he played for you guys in the VFL last season with mixed results, his defensive game was sound but he struggled to have much of an impact offensively. This season was more of the same early days so he approached the coaching crew and talked about a role change. They agreed and gave him a chance as a mid/forward with a high focus on pressure and 2 way running. Now whilst the stats don’t jump out the page the coaching staff have been very happy with his ability to stick to his task, if you watch the vision of him you will see he does a huge amount of unrewarded running. He’s not an overly confident kid so maybe he doesn’t use his voice enough I’m not sure. Now I’m not here to say he’s going to be a star or anything but just trying to go into bat for him to some degree as to why he has been given the opportunity, and I think it’s his discipline to be able to stick to task and put team first mentality before his own stat sheet, having watched almost every Collingwood VFL game the last 2 years im not sure I can say the same for a few of your more talented youngsters. Personally I’m stoked for him and hope you guys can give him a Powerade shower on Sunday.

Great insight mate, hard work and determination has paid off for the young lad.

Some people love to find the negative but just like when Begg debuted, i believe that Chuggy will show he's more than capable at AFL level. Not every player has to have 30 and kick 3. The coaches have clearly picked him with a certain role in mind.

Good luck to him, and i hope some of the family are able to be at the game to enjoy it. Yes to the gatorade shower.

Good luck Isaac👍
Have a feeling he’ll go well based on no rationale at all😊
Am loving how coach Macrae and team are going about selections and the way he’s handled a difficult time.
Having a debutant this week is perfect as it focuses on a new opportunity for us rather than JDG being out.
Go Chuggy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must admit, I haven't seen much either.

Let's hope we are both wrong.
I’ve actually dialled my stance back a lot after reading the post from his family member yesterday. I’ll park my thoughts on Chugg as an AFL talent, but I’m perfectly fine with a guy getting a call up who’s prepared to tip in to our program at the lower level compared to more highly credentialed types that are struggling with that aspect of AFL life. Sure when everyone’s on the same page re workrate this move is bonkers, but I don’t think they are currently.

Great insight mate, hard work and determination has paid off for the young lad.

Some people love to find the negative but just like when Begg debuted, i believe that Chuggy will show he's more than capable at AFL level. Not every player has to have 30 and kick 3. The coaches have clearly picked him with a certain role in mind.

Good luck to him, and i hope some of the family are able to be at the game to enjoy it. Yes to the gatorade shower.
Thanks mate, to be honest I can see why the general fan would probably not rate his output at the VFL level so wasn’t here to try and trash anybodys opinion, I just wanted to try and give some insight into his selection. The kid didn’t have the easiest childhood but that’s not my story to tell. Unfortunately circumstances didn’t allow me to be there tomorrow but he has around 30 family and mates heading over I believe.

Must have missed the games where Begg beat up on 2nd rucks but I’ll take your word for it.

I suggested Ruscoe in and Maynard but that was always unlikely and a big risk coming up against a team with Toby Green. Ruscoe in Noble to the wing, Sidebottom to Lipiniski’s spot and Lippa to De Goey’s would be my next suggestion but it’s clear McRae doesn’t rate Ruscoe. Not sure how Chugg can be worse than T Brown over and I think Chugg has better physicality for a scrubber last man picked role but of course Sunday could prove me horribly wrong.

On your last point I felt that way about Begg selections.
Begg was pretty much the same player when he stepped up v what he did against BH in Rd 1 and Geelong in Rd 3 (I think) he showed what he could do as an AFL ready player with those outings, but his body is just a couple of years away. I’m normally not a fan of us speculating on talls, but Begg is one I’m glad we did it with because he has that DeKoning/ Jackson ranginess about him.

I do too because he seems to have enough there to be on an AFL list and he’s a decent bloke!

For a frame of reference on Chugg I’m purely commenting on what I’ve seen of him (which is sub VFL standard). The only possible justification for picking him would be his training form and the belief he’ll do better with more quality around him. That goes against everything I believe in when it comes to promoting guys to AFL level, but McRae believes in it…

Let's be honest this post is just your get out of jail card if Chugg has an above-expected performance tomorrow isn't it 😂

Let's be honest this post is just your get out of jail card if Chugg has an above-expected performance tomorrow isn't it 😂
In a way these sort of players are set up to succeed on debut. Low expectations, and the nerves are somewhat mitigated because nobody is expecting offensive output. Just pressure and tackle which is easier to do pressure wise, just run yourself into the ground.

Good luck young man

In a way these sort of players are set up to succeed on debut. Low expectations, and the nerves are somewhat mitigated because nobody is expecting offensive output. Just pressure and tackle which is easier to do pressure wise, just run yourself into the ground.

Good luck young man

Speaking of which, Chugg is renown for his training spews. I hope we see a bench spew tomorrow.

I hope Chuggy goes well but its got to be one of the most bizarre selections I've seen, I'll be surprised if he touches it more than 3 times and hits a target.

I hope Chuggy goes well but its got to be one of the most bizarre selections I've seen, I'll be surprised if he touches it more than 3 times and hits a target.

If you look at the debuts of Begg and Chugg - I think it's pretty clear that intensity and repeat efforts to help maintain pressure are the non-negotiables for the kids - and the other kids aren't up to an AFL standard yet in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back