News CEO Cameron Schwab Resigns

Remove this Banner Ad

Schwab has shown a lot of class as part of his departure, that must be recognized.

But we also need to keep in mind this also acts as a great advertisement & opportunity to rebrand himself & he has had a ton of media exposure where we know he is a solid performer. I think the way he has phrased his departure as ' a way of providing clarity' & statements like that has been great for him & will only stand to increase his currency.

At Freo he was happy to throw away draft picks for high profile players, they recieved more publicity back then than untried rookies.
So publicity of new arrivals helped spark interest,put bums on seats etc making us slightly more marketable and him achieving his job of bringing more $$$ to the club.
He has always dipped his hands into recruitment and delistings, as by controlling them he can make more money.
He will get rid of elder players loved by the playing group just to free up cash to throw at recruits.

In the freo days things had got so bad that players finally got the balls to stand up and put a stop to things before he made such a mess of the club it would be unfixable.
It was led by Peter Bell and a few others.
If they didnt stand up to him who knows where we would be now.
This was confirmed by an ex player that posted on our board, my guess is it was Peter Mann as at the time their was a members election and he was a candidate.
Many other examples but they are the ones that stood out the most to me.
Im sure you can find more examples in other Schwab posts on the melbourne board where freo fans posted or also on the freo board.

I think 2 or so years ago there was the same talk about Melbourne?
Players upset with off field department and their handling of some players and certain things.
There was talk of a player re volt or something like that all over the media.
When us freo fans heard that we were like yep thats good ol Schwabby, i bet its true.
I think all that background stuff is why players wanted out eg Scully etc.
If things werent so messy i think Scully would of turned down the money he just wanted out of there due to the problems.

Many say his job is to control the finances and because he does a damn good job of it there is nothing wrong with him.
Trouble is the way he achieves it leaves the club in an absolute mess.
Trust me your lucky you got rid of him now.
The young talent at the club may stick around now instead of wanting to just get out of there.
So with the right coach the problems can be fixed in a fairly short time.

Us at Freo, were left with a couple of great players, a bunch of guys on their last legs and the only young players were hacks picked up with late picks.
We were in a terrible spot but had enough money behind us(thx to him) to get by for a few years until his mess was fixed up.

Just look at what he did to us and look at the mess Melbourne has become onfield and off field since he has been around.
Even a players mum the other day placed blame on the off field situation for whats happening on field.
She has obviously heard her son complaining about things and thats why she had to say it on radio.

He fixes the clubs finances
Leaves the onfield situation in an absolute mess.
Hopefully with the right coach and him gone things will get better in no time.

Thanks mate, excellent insight. Good luck this year

ADRIAN ANDERSON?

Jesus H Christ

You'd be guaranteed a good run with the AFL, probably bank a priority pick and it gives the club a chance to find a base.

Head into next year with first 2 picks, a more stable environment making recruiting a permanent CE easier and a sound relationship with the AFL ...sounds alright to me.

Really hope your boys turn it around on the field, this off field crap can impact the playing group - they have to find a way for it to polarise them against the rest of the world.

ADRIAN ANDERSON?

Jesus H Christ

Hardly something to get worked up over yet Striker. One person has posted about it on the Dees board and we have heard nothing more than that. As we've learned there are zero guarantees with rumours that arise here.

Schwab has shown a lot of class as part of his departure, that must be recognized.

But we also need to keep in mind this also acts as a great advertisement & opportunity to rebrand himself & he has had a ton of media exposure where we know he is a solid performer. I think the way he has phrased his departure as ' a way of providing clarity' & statements like that has been great for him & will only stand to increase his currency.

I think the club and Don in particular was quite keen on making sure he could exit with his head held high. I don't think they wanted to come out and say something along the lines of "he's been here since 2008, since we've finished 16th, 16th, 12th, 13th, and 16th, two games into this season and it doesn't look like we'll finish any higher".

Don never brought up all the obvious reasoning behind getting rid of him, in 2011 many at the club thought he should be moved on, wasn't brought up, the long term on-field position we've had under schwab wasn't brought up. Don put himself in a bad spot for releasing that stupid letter the other day. Not really sure what he was thinking releasing that.

Now thoughts move to the next CEO .. and from what I have heard we will be asking Adrian Anderson to do it.

Currently only doing a contract with Cricket Australia so he will be ready to go (and this has the backing of the AFL).

Seen here first :)
Maybe, but I heard it on SEN first. Which is where you probably heard it

ADRIAN ANDERSON?

Jesus H Christ
what would be the issue with this?

Surely he would be a smart operator coming straight (basically) from within the AFL ranks?

I would love not necessarily him but i would love someone from outside the club and inside the AFL ranks, coming in and giving a fresh opinion.

I think the club and Don in particular was quite keen on making sure he could exit with his head held high. I don't think they wanted to come out and say something along the lines of "he's been here since 2008, since we've finished 16th, 16th, 12th, 13th, and 16th, two games into this season and it doesn't look like we'll finish any higher".

Don never brought up all the obvious reasoning behind getting rid of him, in 2011 many at the club thought he should be moved on, wasn't brought up, the long term on-field position we've had under schwab wasn't brought up. Don put himself in a bad spot for releasing that stupid letter the other day. Not really sure what he was thinking releasing that.

SCHWAB FILECEO: 451 games
WINS: 164
WIN-LOSS RATIO: 36%
FINALS SERIES: 3
COACHES SACKED: 4 (Kevin Bartlett, Neil Balme, Chris Connolly, Dean Bailey)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/tea...-start-to-season/story-e6frf9mf-1226615988486

SCHWAB FILECEO: 451 games
WINS: 164
WIN-LOSS RATIO: 36%
FINALS SERIES: 3
COACHES SACKED: 4 (Kevin Bartlett, Neil Balme, Chris Connolly, Dean Bailey)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/tea...-start-to-season/story-e6frf9mf-1226615988486

to give it some perspective..........

richmond
1988 10th
1989 14th
1990 11th
1991 13th
1992 13th
1993 14th
1994 9th
fremantle
1995 13th
1996 13th
melbourne
1997 16th
1998 4th
1999 14th
2000 -
fremantle
2001 16th
2002 13th
2003 5th
2004 9th
2005 10th
2006 3rd
2007 11th
melbourne
2008 16th
2009 16th
2010 12th
2011 13th
2012 16th
2013 18th

see the pattern.

hopefully he has sucked from the afl tit for the last time. destroyer of clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

to give it some perspective..........

richmond
1988 10th
1989 14th
1990 11th
1991 13th
1992 13th
1993 14th
1994 9th
fremantle
1995 13th
1996 13th
melbourne
1997 16th
1998 4th
1999 14th
2000 -
fremantle
2001 16th
2002 13th
2003 5th
2004 9th
2005 10th
2006 3rd
2007 11th
melbourne
2008 16th
2009 16th
2010 12th
2011 13th
2012 16th
2013 18th

see the pattern.

hopefully he has sucked from the afl tit for the last time. destroyer of clubs.

I'm not Schwab's biggest fan - not his biggest detractor. In fact I'm fairly ambivalent about him in general.

I just fail to see HOW a CEO could have such a negative impact on the on field fortunes of a club

I realise some say he has fancied himself as a bit of a recruiting genius and gets involved where it's not his place, but lets put a few other things in perspective

Let's discuss Richmond's finals series played between 1981 and 1988 (Schwab's commencement). Then let's discuss Richmond's finals series since his departure in 1994.

*crickets*

Let's discuss the black hole we were entering (with or without Schwab) after 2006 in terms of our where our list was left

Let's discuss how Freo have never gotten close to a flag in their short history and how it appears now (perhaps) with Ross Lyon (regarded as one of if not the best coaches in today's game) they finally are pointing in the right direction

Far too much blame is placed on Schwab's shoulders IMO

I'm not Schwab's biggest fan - not his biggest detractor. In fact I'm fairly ambivalent about him in general.

I just fail to see HOW a CEO could have such a negative impact on the on field fortunes of a club

I realise some say he has fancied himself as a bit of a recruiting genius and gets involved where it's not his place, but lets put a few other things in perspective

likewise there are individuals in this world who are given jobs, despite their lack of talent, and/or they know someone, and its not to do a good job, but to simply remain in an income earning capacity. sadly a number of clubs who cannot seemingly never leave the bottom rungs of the ladder are targets for these vultures.

schwab, mclachlan, saundry......its a long list

likewise there are individuals in this world who are given jobs, despite their lack of talent, and/or they know someone, and its not to do a good job, but to simply remain in an income earning capacity. sadly a number of clubs who cannot seemingly never leave the bottom rungs of the ladder are targets for these vultures.

schwab, mclachlan, saundry......its a long list

So is he a destroyer? or a vulture?

Did he make these teams shit? Despite Richmond being shit 7 years before his tenure and remaining shit since his departure? (although well on the right track now some 20 years later)

I just don't get the point you're trying to make

Schwab was renown for having too much say in what went on in regards to the footy department. He'd often cough up high picks in order to trade in new player to get publicity for the club, more publicity, more interest, more people buy memberships and turn up to games. His approach to gaining memberships and putting bums in seats (which he was good at) came at the expense of the football department. We arguably gave up too much for Mitch Clark without knowing how well he'd perform, luckily he showed a lot more than what we expected from him. We arguably gave up too much for Chris Dawes (though I'm not sure of Schwab's involvement in that trade) We certainly gave up too much for Pederson. He created a lot of distrust from the players in regards to the admin. Apparently a lot of Freo players who have come out and talked about their issues with him, and the Melbourne player revolt is known far and wide. There's a thread on the Freo board where they talk about their issues with him.

Schwab was renown for having too much say in what went on in regards to the footy department. He'd often cough up high picks in order to trade in new player to get publicity for the club, more publicity, more interest, more people buy memberships and turn up to games. His approach to gaining memberships and putting bums in seats (which he was good at) came at the expense of the football department. We arguably gave up too much for Mitch Clark without knowing how well he'd perform, luckily he showed a lot more than what we expected from him. We arguably gave up too much for Chris Dawes (though I'm not sure of Schwab's involvement in that trade) We certainly gave up too much for Pederson. He created a lot of distrust from the players in regards to the admin. Apparently a lot of Freo players who have come out and talked about their issues with him, and the Melbourne player revolt is known far and wide. There's a thread on the Freo board where they talk about their issues with him.

This is all good and well but it doesn't changed the fact:

How much did he have to do with Mitch Clark? If nothing, no issue. If everything god bless him. Had no hand in the FD this pre season so nothing to do with Pedersen

Richmond were shit pre Schwab, and remained shit post Schwab

Freo have never been successful and only look to edge towards it after landing Lyon

We have been terrible since 1964 in some way shape or form, particularly in the 70's and early 80's. Our list was left in tatters after 2006. Inexperienced high draft picks, most (all?) whom are now gone; over paid / over ego stroked senior players who wagged the dog and had a misplaced sense of their status in the game

I don't argue he divides.

I don't agrue he's cause problems

I do argue he is SO responsible for teams ladder positions

This is all good and well but it doesn't changed the fact:

How much did he have to do with Mitch Clark? If nothing, no issue. If everything god bless him. Had no hand in the FD this pre season so nothing to do with Pedersen

Richmond were shit pre Schwab, and remained shit post Schwab

Freo have never been successful and only look to edge towards it after landing Lyon

We have been terrible since 1964 in some way shape or form, particularly in the 70's and early 80's. Our list was left in tatters after 2006. Inexperienced high draft picks, most (all?) whom are now gone; over paid / over ego stroked senior players who wagged the dog and had a misplaced sense of their status in the game

I don't argue he divides.

I don't agrue he's cause problems

I do argue he is SO responsible for teams ladder positions

He was at Freo from 2001 they have never been successful partly because of his tenure. he left in 2008 alongside Connolly which set them back after he resigned mid-tenure and Mark Harvey was appointed caretaker. Fremantle spent the time after those departures to rebuild the image of the club and secured Ross Lyon. He went up to Brisbane with Neeld and others to secure Clark. That might be his biggest success in securing a good player, but then the stopped clock is right twice per day isn't it. I'm not sure about his tenure at Richmond but it's quite clear that wherever he is, success does not follow. Connolly was a shit footy department manager and his best mate Schwab was right there with him. I do agree that he'd taken a step back in recent times but he has clearly created issues within the club and he should have been dismissed post 186. Whether he stopped his meddling after that or not the damage was done and keeping him around just fuelled any mistrust that the players had. He's not solely responsible for our onfield position but he's played a key role in hurting our on-field situation and it was only right for him to step down. We need new blood in the Admin if we want to move forward.

He was at Freo from 2001 they have never been successful partly because of his tenure. he left in 2008 alongside Connolly which set them back after he resigned mid-tenure and Mark Harvey was appointed caretaker. Fremantle spent the time after those departures to rebuild the image of the club and secured Ross Lyon. He went up to Brisbane with Neeld and others to secure Clark. That might be his biggest success in securing a good player, but then the stopped clock is right twice per day isn't it. I'm not sure about his tenure at Richmond but it's quite clear that wherever he is, success does not follow. Connolly was a shit footy department manager and his best mate Schwab was right there with him. I do agree that he'd taken a step back in recent times but he has clearly created issues within the club and he should have been dismissed post 186. Whether he stopped his meddling after that or not the damage was done and keeping him around just fuelled any mistrust that the players had. He's not solely responsible for our onfield position but he's played a key role in hurting our on-field situation and it was only right for him to step down. We need new blood in the Admin if we want to move forward.

As I've said in recent days - due to his divisiveness he had to go

I'm not arguing it isn't for the best

I think too much responsibility for a club's shitness is placed on his shoulders

We shouldn't forget the good he's done as well

Instead - people want to follow Caro and get stuck in about an irrelevant, small and completely paid back loan......

When Schwab first came to Melbourne, we hadn't won a GF in 33 years. We still haven't.

We've been bogged down by bad culture and poor admin since Smith was sacked

People pain Schwab as the problem of all of our woes. Things like "good move melbourne, now you can move forward to building a great club blah blah blah"

We've let a great club crumble, wellllllllllll before Schwab was on the scene. We haven't been able to build a great club and culture since the 60's

Why is Schwab leaving suddenly the answer?

As I've said in recent days - due to his divisiveness he had to go

I'm not arguing it isn't for the best

I think too much responsibility for a club's shitness is placed on his shoulders

We shouldn't forget the good he's done as well

Instead - people want to follow Caro and get stuck in about an irrelevant, small and completely paid back loan......

When Schwab first came to Melbourne, we hadn't won a GF in 33 years. We still haven't.

We've been bogged down by bad culture and poor admin since Smith was sacked

People pain Schwab as the problem of all of our woes. Things like "good move melbourne, now you can move forward to building a great club blah blah blah"

We've let a great club crumble, wellllllllllll before Schwab was on the scene. We haven't been able to build a great club and culture since the 60's

Why is Schwab leaving suddenly the answer?

You're not wrong he's done good and of course he is given a lot of responsibility for things that weren't in his direct control but it's clear now that he should have made his departure in 2011. It would have put the club in a much better position to have a complete rebuild of the image of the club and the football department if he'd left us then. Lingering around the club afterwards did no good.

Thank you for providing this information, I've been reading through the thread trying to figure out in what way Schwab had an indirect (as he put it) impact on onfield performance. Most people are happy to say yay we got rid of him, but I couldn't see how he was impacting on the performance of the team. You've provided a good summary :thumbsu:

Are there suggestions that he may have also failed in providing the correct structure or personnel in the football department? If so are we thinking those incorrect structures and personnel will also change, 'resign' or be sacked in the immediate future? (I'm not talking about Neeld)

Thank you for providing this information, I've been reading through the thread trying to figure out in what way Schwab had an indirect (as he put it) impact on onfield performance. Most people are happy to say yay we got rid of him, but I couldn't see how he was impacting on the performance of the team. You've provided a good summary :thumbsu:

Are there suggestions that he may have also failed in providing the correct structure or personnel in the football department? If so are we thinking those incorrect structures and personnel will also change, 'resign' or be sacked in the immediate future? (I'm not talking about Neeld)

It's not necessarily accurate though. You would have to believe that Neeld, Craig and Tim Harrington would have far more to do with things than Schwab would.

No doubt there were issues but we'd need proof of that sort of meddling before we take it as gospel.

A thought. Surely the trumpeter is his nephew, or at least his idea. Will he be gone too? (Please)

I'm hoping the bugler gets disgruntled by the departure and quits as a show of support for Schwabby.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back