Celebrities who follow St Kilda FC

Remove this Banner Ad

• Eric Bana (actor and comedian)
  • Steve Bedwell (comedian)
  • Darren Berry (state cricketer and radio commentator)
  • Mark Doran (journalist)
  • Bruce Eva (radio presenter)
  • Lindsay Fox (businessman)
  • Michael Gudinski (Mushroom records CEO)
  • Graham Kennedy (Comedian)
  • Michael Klim (Australian swimmer)
  • Kate Langbrook (radio personality)
  • Molly Meldrum (Music Industry Professional)
  • Alicia Molik (Top Ten Tennis Player)
  • Geoff Ogilvy (professional golfer)
  • Stephen Peak (lawyer and radio presenter)
  • Marina Prior (performer)
  • Mick Thomas (musician)
  • Shane Warne (cricket player)
  • Peter Hitchener (newsreader)
  • Alicia Loxley (newsreader)

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/02/25/1077676832592.html?from=storyrhs

He is better known to radio listeners as Digger, Massive from Moorabbin and Ivan from Ivanhoe. But, in another life, Coodabeen Champion Simon Whelan is a Queen's counsel, highly regarded in commercial litigation and insolvency law.

Now he has kicked his biggest legal goal, as the Coodabeens might say, having been appointed Victoria's newest Supreme Court judge.

A long-suffering St Kilda supporter, the 49-year-old was happy to stretch the metaphor yesterday, comparing Victoria's Supreme Court with the Saints - a good young team with a bright future.

But what will become of Digger, the choleric Collingwood supporter who has been following the Magpies for 139 years. "I don't know, you'd have to ask him," said the judge-in-waiting.

"I'm going to be off-air. That's the view that the Chief Justice and I have reached. I suppose nothing is forever or set in stone, but that's where we are at the moment," he said.

Whelan said he would be "hovering" in the background at the radio program, which began in 1981 at radio 3RRR.

The mix of comments, anecdotes and chat between a group of sporting fans took the show to the former 3LO and twice to 3AW before returning to the ABC in 2003.

Fellow Coodabeen Jeff Richardson said he and the others knew for 20 years it was inevitable that Whelan's "stellar" career would result in his appointment to the bench.

But did he act like a judge on the show?

"No, well, yeah, he does act like a judge. He sits there and writes things down," Richardson said.

Would he be called Justice Whelan in the studio?

"If any of us are charged with anything, yes."

Richardson was equally direct when asked if Whelan's on-air absence would mean the end of Digger, Massive and Ivan.

"Digger is a real person . . . that's nothing to do with Simon," he said.

"Simon going to the Supreme Court won't affect who rings up (on) talkback."

Whelan - the son of former County Court Chief Judge Desmond Whelan - said that he would insist on his radio colleagues bowing to him.

Mordi Bromberg is also a judge, but I guess he's a little different as a former player - along with Bill Mildenhall, who was widely regarded as a basketball referee:

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-05-14/where-are-they-now-bill-mildenhall

Billy Mildenhall was a dogged back pocket who played 77 games for St Kilda from 1974-82. His best years were in 1976-77, when he played 40 out of a possible 44 games for the club as a reliable defender. However, he is better known as the most capped and decorated basketball referee Australia has ever had. Mildenhall began refereeing in 1979 and officiated in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics and the 2000 Sydney Olympics. Now an AFL interchange steward, Mildenhall is also the secretary of the St Kilda past players association.

"So I have followed St Kilda Football Club all my life and I even went to St Kilda Park Primary School which is opposite the old Fitzroy Street ground.

So I used to go to training every Tuesday and Thursday night and kick the ball back over the fence whenever they kicked it over. It was just my ultimate dream to play footy for the Saints and in those days we were able to do so.

I played at St Kilda City – where Peter Summers comes from. I went from there to the Under 19s and progressed from the 19s to the seniors.

I still pay my membership every year and get my reserved seat. I don’t get to as many games as I probably would like to, but I still follow them. My family are all keen Saints supporters too."

Tex Perkins (singer) was seen at the JO training, and am pretty sure he's a Saints man (Plugger35 has mentioned it on BF).
Continuing with the music link.
Those of us who were rocking out in the 90s will remember TISM had a song GREG THE STOP SIGN wich was filmed in our changerooms featuring quite a few of our players. Not sure if any of the TISM boys were Saints fans????
Also Ross Wilson ( Mondo Rock ) is a Saints man as well. Might be showing my age here but remember he wrote a song for his then wife Pat Wilson called BOP GIRL. Theres a few times in the video when some old lady is hanging up a heap of StKilda socks on a clothesline ( 25sec & 1:23 )
The clip of course is also notable for a very young frizzy haired Nicole Kidman .

Continuing with the music link.
Those of us who were rocking out in the 90s will remember TISM had a song GREG THE STOP SIGN wich was filmed in our changerooms featuring quite a few of our players. Not sure if any of the TISM boys were Saints fans????
Also Ross Wilson ( Mondo Rock ) is a Saints man as well. Might be showing my age here but remember he wrote a song for his then wife Pat Wilson called BOP GIRL. Theres a few times in the video when some old lady is hanging up a heap of StKilda socks on a clothesline ( 25sec & 1:23 )
The clip of course is also notable for a very young frizzy haired Nicole Kidman .

Ron Hitler Barassi is almost certainly a big Richmond man but considering they were all mostly teachers from the south east a few probably went for the Saints as well.

There sure is something Saintly about TISM
Have a listen:

Ok that clears that up then.
Thats one film clip filmed with our players ( Greg the stop sign). And that song is about our players.
So its safe to say somebody at TISM is a massive Saints fan:thumbsu:

Dont know who put that clip together though.
Some of the WINMAR TO LOCKETT footage is actually Gilbo McCadam to Lockett :p:p
Good stuff Hubnester:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok that clears that up then.
Thats one film clip filmed with our players ( Greg the stop sign). And that song is about our players.
So its safe to say somebody at TISM is a massive Saints fan:thumbsu:

Dont know who put that clip together though.
Some of the WINMAR TO LOCKETT footage is actually Gilbo McCadam to Lockett :p:p
Good stuff Hubnester:thumbsu:

No biggie, I've become a big fan of TISM over the past few years, so I thought I'd share the feeling - my mind was blown when I first noticed their Saints references :p

Tennis world no.5 Kei Nishikori!

B7NFPrECUAA3Bpl.jpg

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan is a supporter...
Singer Robbie Williams is a supporter...

Stephen Allan - Golfer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back