Opinion Carlton Leadership 2022 (and - sole captain or co-captains?)

Should we have a single captain, or co-captains??

• 1 captain

Votes: 47 95.9%
  • Co-Captains

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Now that Doc has stepped down as co-captain, should we have just 1 captain, or co-captains? I am a bit of a traditonalist and would prefer a sole captain. In that situation, my vote would be Cripps as Captain, and Weitering and Walsh as co-Captains. I can see an argument in perhaps splitting captaincy because of public duties, etc. But I still prefer a single captain...

Single captain always IMO. Happy to have dual vice captains.
My choices:
Captain - Cripps
VCs - Walsh and Weitering
Leadership group - Silvagni and Stocker

VFL Captain - Ed Curnow (to play majority games in the VFL)

Might be some controversial/unpopular calls, but it's time to start making tough calls.

I'd rather have just 1 captain, and I'd imagine Voss would want 1 as well.
I wouldn't mind giving it to Walsh or Weiters and letting Cripps just focus more on his own game. He can still be an inspiration without needing to be that guy who has to do everything. If we lose the battle in the middle because he's trying to do too much, that isn't helping us.

That said, it will be most likely Cripps again for a couple more years.

Sole captain for sure. I don't like the idea of co-captains. One man should be steering the ship and not have to worry about stepping on anyone else's toes.

I think Cripps should be captain for 2-3 more years. Walsh and Weitering joint vice-captains with one of them to eventually succeed him.

I know some blame the captaincy for Cripps poor form the last 2 years but I'm not sure that's true. He was pretty much sole captain the 2 years before that and in the best form of his career.

I don't really have anything against multiple captains, be it two like we've had recently or 3 like the swans.

That being said, this year I'd go with Cripps solo. Weitering and Walsh to share the vice captaincy.

Depends what the club wants to do, could cap the group at that or add another 3 -6 depending on how they want to structure the group. We've recently had the approach of getting in guys from a couple of age brackets, the 'junior leaders'. Weitering & Walsh originally got into the group under that classification.

Harry, Silvagni & Stocker seem like good leadership inclusions. Also would give you 2 players in each line as part of the group which feels like a nice spread.

It's hard to really know without being inside the four walls, maybe a Saad, Williams, Martin, Fisher, etc could be a good fit, or even someone like Pitto. I'm probably against any of the newbies getting in first year, but it wouldn't surprise me if Hewett and/or Cerra made the cut next season.

Will be interesting to see who else ends up in the leadership group. I know supporters have favourites but its player voted and hard to know how individuals are perceived inside the club.

From last years group we will lose Docherty, Murphy and Jones while Curnow may also chose to step aside as he enters his final seasons.

Cripps, Weitering, Walsh will definitely be in which leaves 2-3 more spots depending on how big a group they go with.

I feel like McKay, E Curnow, Plowman, Cerra, Hewett, Saad, Silvagni could all be in the mix.

With Doc stepping aside it is fairly obvious that we look at Crippa sole captain. Weitering a lock for VC, maybe Walshy co, but won’t be surprised if there is a hierarchy.

The interesting thing will be the extras in the leadership group Ed, even Charlie, Harry, growing profile of Stocker, Cerra, Hewett, Jack S., maybe Newman or best clubman Pitto would seem in the mix. Plow and Newnes outside chances I think. Not hard to see some of those are speculative, our leadership density is light. Plenty of candidates, but in fairness most are still developing. This is probably the biggest key to our rise. How this group meld with each other and set the scene will make or break our year.

Not the time for instability Crippa is a lock.

Edit: While they don’t have leadership history or obvious credentials Williams, Martin and Saad could enter the mix with stellar pre seasons along with a desire to encourage some maturity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On further reflection I think this thread title is too narrow. As others have said here, it is also a question about 'Carlton Leadership for 2022', including who has 'titles' in this regard.

Also, just an opinion, but I am really hoping (and expecting) finals for this year. If that is the case, I wouldn't want to be changing captain (or captaincy model) at the end of this year. Just my opinion (and I know other sides have changed captains at significant times), but I believe whoever is captain this year should be captain in following years (unless this year is a s*&#show)...

On further reflection I think this thread title is too narrow. As others have said here, it is also a question about 'Carlton Leadership for 2022', including who has 'titles' in this regard.

Also, just an opinion, but I am really hoping (and expecting) finals for this year. If that is the case, I wouldn't want to be changing captain (or captaincy model) at the end of this year. Just my opinion (and I know other sides have changed captains at significant times), but I believe whoever is captain this year should be captain in following years (unless this year is a s*&#show)...

I agree. I think if Cripps retains the captaincy he should keep it for at least 3 years. By that time Walsh will be 24 and Weitering 27 both good ages to take on the captaincy.

3c6ce8d0-fcfa-47d2-a1fa-01ab79be9cff_1000.gif

No disrespect to Docherty who has had (arguably) the worst run of injury and illness - but have always thought that Cripps should have been sole Captain - until Walsh arrived he was the only player at Carlton that could beat or match anyone in the competition playing his on field role. Captains are important for younger players especially - blokes that make them feel they are part of something strong.

Cripps is the natural on-field bull - there are others that are smarter footballers- they don't need to carry the weight of having to be the big dog to do their thing. Not sure how good Crippa can be as the coach's on-field coach - that's my only question mark. Would like to see him give some serious talking to any player that is doing the wrong thing whilst the game is on - the best Captains are on-field coaches and disciplinarians as well as follow me types.

Would like to see Weitering take more charge over the defensive six - and add a lot more mongrel to his game- the best defenders make forwards worry about what is coming as well as worry about getting beaten in the air. As for Walsh - the first and only player I have never had a negative thought about anything he does on field or off field. In my mind - Weitering and Walsh dont need to be Captains or Co-Captains either- they just need to be part of developing a win the game thing we are all looking forward to.

My belief is that the best Captains (and Coaches), have generally (Matthews & Blight aside) been defenders and or defensively minded mids.

Nowadays it is more about the collective

Voss was the best captain of his time, easily…

Destructive mid who led by example and played an offensive game, I would have Hird in their as well…

Voss was the best captain of his time, easily…

Destructive mid who led by example and played an offensive game, I would have Hird in their as well…

Voss also ran hard each way and laid some massive hits and tackles. Have always rated him as the better leader when compared to Hird & Buckley during that era

Back