Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben still looking the goods despite being relegated down back this week. Has great composure and seems to make good decisions consistently, bit of a seagul when his teammates have a mark or free kick despite rarely getting used but he's great at linking chains of play and strong in the contest.

Overall this draft crop hasn't impressed a lot tbh... I don't think the 'stars' like Ashcroft, O'Sullivan etc have many traits that stand out from the pack. Smillie clear number 1 for me as it stands.

Rookie Me's summary of the twin's game against Footscray. Should be noted that most of this guy's notes on each prospect were pretty positive so I don't know how much we should read into this.

#3 Ben Camporeale (Glenelg)
Midfielder/Defender | 186cm | 21/07/2006

Having ended game one in defence, Camporeale spent most of game two there before being shifted into midfield for the final quarter. The Carlton father-son prospect was his productive self in the way of rebound running, chaining his possessions and waxing well with teammates. He also showed his strengths with a nice intercept mark at full stretch in term three, but could perhaps have been a little more damaging with his kicking and tighter on opponents in defensive 50.

#4 Lucas Camporeale (Glenelg)
Wing | 185cm | 21/07/2006

Camporeale was one of the few players whose role hardly wavered across the two Academy games, as he again made the wing his own on Saturday. He wasn’t quite as prolific as he was against Coburg, but ran hard on the outside and looked to provide a bit of drive with every possession. Camporeale has shown an aptitude for playing through the middle at SANFL Under 18s level, but the way he covers ground and takes metres by foot is arguably best suited to the wing or flanks.

Rookie Me's summary of the twin's game against Footscray. Should be noted that most of this guy's notes on each prospect were pretty positive so I don't know how much we should read into this.
I will be quite surprised if we are forced to use our first rounder on Ben, who is notionally the better prospect on the open market. Lucas clearly projects as an outside type at this stage. This is the role he has played in the televised games. Unless Lucas is being specifically instructed to maintain width, he is looking less inclined to inject himself in to “the contest”. This is polar opposite to his brother who regularly pushes up form half back to the stoppages. He seems to be itching to get in to the fray.

Even a mischievous SOS or Dodo are unlikely to go early with a bid. If we win the flag, he may cost our first rounder via a bid, but I expect his name to be called in the twenties, not the teens. Unless Lucas dominates a wing at the upcoming interstate “carnival”, he may even slide to the rookie draft, which would be a huge win.

The boys will have the chance to stand out, going back to play for SA. Ben will be in the engine room and Lucas will get to be a playmaking winger. Recent draft history shows very few South Australians taken early in the draft. Midfielder Sid Draper will be at the pointy end of the draft as likely will Tyler Welsh a father/son tall forward. Ben can elevate with prominent showings against the highly touted Victorian mids, but looks more like a solid role player than an absolute gun. Outside wing types are struggling to impact in AFL at present, they need express pace or elite disposal. Lucas has good, but inconsistent disposal, which could elevate to elite. He has good game awareness and peripheral vision which makes him a decent prospect, but I would not expect an immediate impact at the higher level.

Plenty can change, but I see Ben costing our second rounder and Lucas a late pick or some chance to slip to an automatic pick up in the rookie draft on exposed form. This would be an excellent outcome, giving us a shot at a high end KPP or role player. I am confident the Camporeales will be AFL quality players, but I am not expecting them to be absolute top liners.

A handful of the higher rated boys have not been seen in the Academy games to date. I expect the boys to slip from most early phantoms.

I will be quite surprised if we are forced to use our first rounder on Ben, who is notionally the better prospect on the open market. Lucas clearly projects as an outside type at this stage. This is the role he has played in the televised games. Unless Lucas is being specifically instructed to maintain width, he is looking less inclined to inject himself in to “the contest”. This is polar opposite to his brother who regularly pushes up form half back to the stoppages. He seems to be itching to get in to the fray.

Even a mischievous SOS or Dodo are unlikely to go early with a bid. If we win the flag, he may cost our first rounder via a bid, but I expect his name to be called in the twenties, not the teens. Unless Lucas dominates a wing at the upcoming interstate “carnival”, he may even slide to the rookie draft, which would be a huge win.

The boys will have the chance to stand out, going back to play for SA. Ben will be in the engine room and Lucas will get to be a playmaking winger. Recent draft history shows very few South Australians taken early in the draft. Midfielder Sid Draper will be at the pointy end of the draft as likely will Tyler Welsh a father/son tall forward. Ben can elevate with prominent showings against the highly touted Victorian mids, but looks more like a solid role player than an absolute gun. Outside wing types are struggling to impact in AFL at present, they need express pace or elite disposal. Lucas has good, but inconsistent disposal, which could elevate to elite. He has good game awareness and peripheral vision which makes him a decent prospect, but I would not expect an immediate impact at the higher level.

Plenty can change, but I see Ben costing our second rounder and Lucas a late pick or some chance to slip to an automatic pick up in the rookie draft on exposed form. This would be an excellent outcome, giving us a shot at a high end KPP or role player. I am confident the Camporeales will be AFL quality players, but I am not expecting them to be absolute top liners.

A handful of the higher rated boys have not been seen in the Academy games to date. I expect the boys to slip from most early phantoms.
Very good appraisal. I do wonder that, if their surname wasn't Camporeale would they have been selected in the Aus Academy. Whatever the case, hopefully we get them cheaper than they are "worth" and that they become great Carlton footballers in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back