Capricornia league

Remove this Banner Ad

They won't change the venue, Troy, but you might find it scheduled down there next year if they finish 1-2. As for the elbow, there's a fair chance that the set penalty was offered and accepted. The league prefers not to conduct a tribunal session.

For those who missed it, Beirouti had taken his jersey off and stormed out almost before the final siren had finished sounding. He would have been halfway back to Gladstone when his runner-up medal was to be received. By my accounts, he won't be permitted to register next year after his repugnant behaviour earlier in the season as a spectator, and I doubt that anyone will miss him.

2013 Draw appears to be this (subject to change, Reserves 12:30, Seniors 2:15, Women's 5PM).....

R1 (13 April)
BITS vs Glad
Bros vs Yepp
Glen vs Pths

R2 (20 April)
Glad vs Bros
Glen vs BITS
Yepp vs Pths

R3 (27 April)
Bros vs Pths
Glen vs Glad
Yepp vs BITS

R4 (11 May, Assume Representative Weekend 4 May despite no Public Holiday that weekend)
BITS vs Pths
Glad vs Yepp
Bros vs Glen

R5 (18 May)
BITS vs Bros
Pths vs Glad
Yepp vs Glen

R6 (25 May): Invert Round 1 so that Away teams in R1 are at home for R6
R7 (1 June): Invert R2
R8 (15 June, Queens Birthday weekend 8 June football free or possible Rep Weekend): Invert R3
R9 (22 June): Invert R4
R10 (6 July, 29 June weekend middle school holidays weekend off which has been traditionally taken in this league, think the 14's country titles at Airlie are held that weekend): Invert R5
R11 (13 July): As per R1 except Panthers are home team against Glenmore
R12 (20 July): As per R2
R13 (27 July): As per R3 except Gladstone are home team against Glenmore
R14 (3 August): As per R4
R15 (10 August): INVERT R5

Finals: 1st Semi 17 August, 2nd Semi 24 August, Prelim 31 August, GRAND FINAL 7 September

yup, still a small league in comparison to Brisbane and Cairns but ticking along well. The economy here has really helped clubs attract players up (most notably Boyne and Gladstone, who featured in both GFs last year).

Standard last year was the best I've seen, and would expect more of the same whilever the economy around here is doing well

Fizzer of a game with virtually no fireworks, but we did have a streaker. Wonder where he ended up?

I imagine he just put his clothes back on and took his seat. He looked as bemused as anyone when he got most of the way across the field and realised nobody was chasing him.

How is season 2013 shaping up?

No doubt Boyne and Gladstone have a stack of new players to go with their old faithfuls.

Yeppoon looks to be getting more "professional" with a serious preseason.

Brothers very smart recruiting out at Blackwater and Emerald. How many do they have training out there and I imagine the availability will be varied with shifts. Liam Kronk also jumping ship?

Haven't heard much about Bulls or Panthers.

How is season 2013 shaping up?

No doubt Boyne and Gladstone have a stack of new players to go with their old faithfuls.

Yeppoon looks to be getting more "professional" with a serious preseason.

Brothers very smart recruiting out at Blackwater and Emerald. How many do they have training out there and I imagine the availability will be varied with shifts. Liam Kronk also jumping ship?

Haven't heard much about Bulls or Panthers.
The swannies have been getting around 25-30 at tranning and have picked up about 8 boys from afl states ie Vic SA Tas WA. They had about 50 for there inter club match on sat they should shape up alright this season. We will get a bit of an idea this sat at swan park when they play in this round robin against panthers n bulls brothers pulled out for some reason think it starts about 11.30.

Brothers pulled out because the powers that be had concerns about Swan Park and thought another intra at Kele would be more beneficial. Having spoken to a Yeppoon person or two they are absolutely spitting about it.

found the comments of Messrs Broad and Round in the paper yesterday interesting (preference being to have all 6 clubs involved in the lightning carnival each year). it's as if we don't see each other enough through the season ;)

In a sad bit of news, AFL Capricornia president for the last...many....years John Round has decided to step down due to health issues. His speeches at league count night always brought the place down and he will be missed. I think I speak on behalf of everyone when I wish John the best and hope to see him better very soon.

On the field, stranger things are happening for everybody except us. After some heavy personnel losses from last season Gladstone started the year 0-3, before a convincing win against us and a 1-point win over Panthers on the weekend (The sportingpulse live score had Panthers winning for whatever reason). Panthers also managed to snap the muddies' ~20 game winning streak in the 2s as well. Yeppoon looked to be sweeping all before them starting the year 4-0 including a lesson to last year's champs; before a 2-point loss at Glenmore on Saturday. Less said about our start to the year the better, our one solace at Boyne was that we thought we'd kept them under 200 but evidently the scoreboard operators had it wrong.

We've recruited heavily from out west and have seemingly gone from 20 goals behind every other team to about 10, being 0-5 in both senior grades. Rumour has it we'll be getting the points from Round 1 due to Glenmore playing unregistered/suspended players, but I'm yet to see that reflected in any league table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a sad bit of news, AFL Capricornia president for the last...many....years John Round has decided to step down due to health issues. His speeches at league count night always brought the place down and he will be missed. I think I speak on behalf of everyone when I wish John the best and hope to see him better very soon.

On the field, stranger things are happening for everybody except us. After some heavy personnel losses from last season Gladstone started the year 0-3, before a convincing win against us and a 1-point win over Panthers on the weekend (The sportingpulse live score had Panthers winning so confusion was reigning everywhere). Panthers also managed to snap the muddies' ~20 game winning streak in the 2s as well. Yeppoon looked to be sweeping all before them starting the year 4-0 including a lesson to last year's champs; before a 2-point loss at Glenmore on Saturday. Less said about our start to the year the better, our one solace at Boyne was that we thought we'd kept them under 200 but evidently the scoreboard operators had it wrong.

We've recruited heavily from out west and have seemingly gone from 20 goals behind every other team to about 10, being 0-5 in both senior grades. Rumour has it we'll be getting the points from Round 1 due to Glenmore playing unregistered/suspended players, but I'm yet to see that reflected in any league table.

My son kicked the only two goals for the seconds and if he could turn up to training (work commitments) he may get a Firsts call up.

seems the local 7 and 9 news crews picked the right (or wrong) 20 minutes to show up at Yeppoon v Glenmore on the weekend, just in time for the brawl. Footage shows wes hawke jumping the fence afterwards and remonstrating with a spectator - a bit of shoving but still yet another bad look for the swannies.

seems the local 7 and 9 news crews picked the right (or wrong) 20 minutes to show up at Yeppoon v Glenmore on the weekend, just in time for the brawl. Footage shows wes hawke jumping the fence afterwards and remonstrating with a spectator - a bit of shoving but still yet another bad look for the swannies.

Missed it but sounds like a good day.

By the news footage, it all seemed to start from a Yeppoon player kicking out at a player he'd just given a free away to. Apparently 4 charges to be laid next week. I don't know the whole story but there seems little justification for it, and a few holidays in order. I wonder what kind of a holiday jumping the fence gets you these days. Guess we'll find out next week.

30 the last time it happened, although he was in his first back after fifteen for deliberate contact with an umpire.

I'm sorry to say that the only thing that would attract you here is the weather and/or a job. There's not really any money, if any, for players and the standard would be a massive drop for any previously listed players. Having said that, the mines are on our doorstep, Boyne Island have an aluminium smelter (BITS), and Gladstone have a few smelters as well as a massive LNG construction job.

It's not a place to come for the footy, but if you get a job any club would love an extra player.

This is probably all you need to know about the place. Except the construction job(s) in Gladstone proper seem to be finishing up and guys are chasing dollars out on the islands now, with the Muddies suffering associated personnel losses.

There hasn't been a league out in the Central Highlands (where all the mines are) for around 20 years. If you were to find work in the mines in CQ, either of the three Rockhampton clubs (Brothers, Panthers, Glenmore) would be your closest. Brothers have reached out and set up a training camp in Emerald (about a 3 hour drive due west) for players who live/work out there and commute in on the weekend. I can get you some contacts for the guys running it out there.

I'd add in that anyone that's worked in mining before will be aware of how hard up against it coal is at the moment. Gladstone is awash with rumours of steel works and expansion on Curtis Island, with construction to continue for another ten years, but it's definitely a time when you'd want your job organised before you get up here.

Whoever is writing the articles on the AFL Capricornia site had billed our cellar dweller clash against Panthers as the potential match of the round, and it kind of delivered. Fairly tight scrappy affair for three quarters in a light drizzle, before perhaps one of the most collectively nervous final quarters I've ever seen from both sides. The shiteaters (who have yet to come up with a better name for us than 'fish eaters' and whose fans owe us a new bin lid...add that one to the list) won it with a goal on the buzzer after we'd missed a few set shots.

It seems like we'd forgotten how to win but there were some very encouraging signs from yesterday (and a handy new addition from Vic) and I daresay we're a lot closer to the end than the start of this losing run. We may also benefit in a couple weeks from the charges to come from that brawl, which are still yet to be heard.

We'll have to wait and see if our game gets more than a sentence in the Bully this week, in an article sure to be dominated by that 'journalist's' club and their predictably convincing loss at BITS. Apparently Yeppoon also got up over Gladstone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back