Senior Cam Rayner (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nine things we learned: 'Flagmantle' is the real deal

5. Cam Rayner is ready to take off

Now half-a-season back following his ruptured ACL, Cam Rayner is a whisker away from taking games over on his own. With Hugh McCluggage (hamstring) sidelined against the Giants, Rayner was thrown on-ball more often, attending 17 centre bounces, and cashing in with the extra opportunities. The former No.1 draft pick had career highs in disposals (25), contested possessions (12) and clearances (six) and was also able to chip in with a goal and two goal assists. Rayner’s power through congestion is a difference-maker for Brisbane, as is his penetrating kicking inside forward 50. His upward trajectory is a major factor why the Lions can be better in 2022 than 2021. – Michael Whiting

Rayner's Ready for Take off

Cam-Rayner-Article.png

Now half-a-season back following his ruptured ACL, Cam Rayner is a whisker away from taking games over on his own.

With Hugh McCluggage (hamstring) sidelined against the Giants, Rayner was thrown on-ball more often, attending 17 centre bounces, and cashing in with the extra opportunities.

The former No.1 draft pick had career highs in disposals (25), contested possessions (12) and clearances (six) and was also able to chip in with a goal and two goal assists.

Rayner’s power through congestion is a difference-maker for Brisbane, as is his penetrating kicking inside forward 50.

What also cannot be undersold is the 22-year-olds ability in the air. Rayner is capable of sitting on heads and is as much threat in the forward line as he is at the bounce.

He currently sits at 12.11 in front of goal and has proven more than able to be a key target, shifting to full forward and kicking three goals when Joe Daniher was subbed out of their Round 7 clash vs Sydney.

His upward trajectory is a major factor why the Lions can be better in 2022 than 2021.

Rayner: "Eric's Starting to Find Form"

BRISBANE dynamo Cam Rayner has called for patience as fellow ACL returnee Eric Hipwood battles to find his best form for the Lions.

Rayner missed the entire 2021 campaign after suffering the devastating knee injury during that pre-season, while Hipwood joined him on the sidelines after an identical setback against St Kilda last July.

While the former No.1 draft pick has had a strong 2022 after getting an entire pre-season under his belt, things have been a little tougher for Hipwood, who rejoined the Lions' senior team in round nine.

The rangy forward has kicked nine goals in 10 games as he regains continuity alongside fellow talls Joe Daniher and Dan McStay.

Rayner said those questioning Hipwood's form should have a harder think.

"It's probably a lot easier to say that sitting from the couch when you haven't gone through it yourself," Rayner said.

"Eric's come back early … I feel like he's been copping a bit of heat when it's a lot harder for a bloke that size to come back from that injury.

"He's starting to find some form, which is good.

"We expect Eric to bring a contest and bring the energy he always does, and he's done that every game this year. That's all we can ask from him.

"As a forward line group when he's clicking we're a better team. The more we can help him to play better footy, the better it's going to be for us."

Hipwood, Daniher and McStay formed a difficult trio to match up on last year, winning 10 of 11 games when they played together.

Despite the lack of continuity this season, the Lions are still the highest-scoring team in the AFL and Rayner says there's more to come.

"I still don't think we've played our best footy this year," he said.

"To say we've won some games without playing our best footy is probably a good thing.

"When we get all our gears clicking and really start playing some good footy, I think we can do some special things as a group, and our forward line is a big part of that.

"The more footy we play together and the more continuity we get, the better."

Lions go back to their roots

Days at his junior football club and the role it played in helping him become an AFL player – it’s something Cam Rayner says he will never forget.

To acknowledge this, Rayner and teammate Ryan Lester arranged for all Brisbane Lions players to wear their junior football jumper at Tuesday’s training session at The Gabba.

Rayner, a proud product of the Hillside Sharks in Melbourne’s northwest, spoke about the initiative and why it was about more than just wearing the jumper.

“Junior football clubs are extremely important for the development of footballers around Australia,” he said.

“It’s great to look around and see all the different junior clubs the boys have come from, and most players would have been through the same things and enjoyed their junior footy clubs the same way I did.

“It’s also a long year, so this brings some life into the club and promotes questions and interest in other people.”

Having outgrown his beloved Sharks junior jumper, Rayner opted to wear his Western Jets guernsey from his Under-18 TAC Cup days.

Despite it being more than five years since the talented forward played for either of those teams, he said wearing the junior jumpers reminded him about what his Sharks days taught him.

“Just to enjoy football, that’s the reason why we play it,” Rayner said.

“I love how much the club meant to my family and it involved everyone.

“It’s also very special for me being the only boy drafted from the footy club, it’s something I am very proud of.”

The Gabba was a sea of colours on Tuesday morning with the team leaving their Lions kit in the locker and dusting off their junior jumper or that of a previous team they were drafted from.

Amongst the mix was plenty of local Queensland clubs, Brisbane Lions Academy jumpers and an array of guernseys from each corner of Australia.

Two Lions Nominated in 22under22 Squad

Impressive performances throughout the 2022 season from exciting Brisbane Lions duo Cam Rayner and Keidean Coleman, has seen them named in the AFL Player Associations’ 22Under22 squad.

The pair’s selection into the 40-man squad puts them among the best young talent in the competition, with the criteria of needing to have played a minimum of 11 games.
At the other end of the ground this season has been Rayner impressing for the Lions in more ways than one.

The talented has not only played every game but one in his return from an ACL suffered last season, he has booted 19 goals and been a key playmaker for Brisbane.

Coleman and Rayner have been chosen in the squad by Chair of Selectors, Michael Barlow, and an internal selection panel at the AFL Players’ Association, with support from Champion Data.

The fate of the 40-player list is then in the hands of fans to vote for who they want in the final 22.

There’s extra incentive for fans to vote, as the fan whose team is the best matched to the final team wins a framed 22Under22 jumper signed by the Captain and Vice-Captain and their choice of either Apple AirPods Pro or Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro, thanks to Snaffle.

The final team will be announced on August 23 via the AFL Players’ Association’s social media channels.

Voting is open until August 18, so if you want to see Kiddy and Cam in the final team then follow the link and vote for them now.

So it is in the hands of fans to vote for them? Doesn't seem so fair when all the Melbourne clubs have a lot of members and supporters compared to outlier clubs
Same for goal and mark of the year - nothing but populrity contests - theyve all lost there appeal.

Nine things we learned: Hungry Tigers will take some stopping

1. Cam Rayner can be Brisbane's September wildcard

So much is spoken about Brisbane's key forward trio Joe Daniher, Eric Hipwood and Dan McStay in the club's chase of a flag. Throw Charlie Cameron into the mix and there are big names who can turn a game on its head. But Cam Rayner's influence shouldn't be underestimated, with the exciting forward shaping as a finals wildcard for the Lions. His performance against St Kilda on Friday night, when he kicked four goals, including three in a brilliant last quarter, was one of his best in Lions colours. He's capable of producing big moments at big times and will enter the finals with confidence. Brisbane missed his X-factor in the finals last year. - Callum Twomey

'Get a dog up ya!': Brisbane Lions star Cam Rayner's father GOES OFF in wild celebrations in the sheds after his son's team launched incredible comeback against Melbourne Demons

Never underestimate the unbridled passion of a Queenslander.

The sporting world got a taste of what winning means to those north of the border after Brisbane Lion Cam Rayner's father was spotted going berserk in the sheds following the club's epic win over the Melbourne Demons.

The Lions had not won an AFL finals match at the MCG since 2014 and were not given much hope of toppling the reigning premiers in their own backyard.

However after falling into a 22-point hole, the Lions flipped a switch and overran the Demons for an emphatic victory and a shot at reaching another grand final.

As Channel Seven reported Brian Taylor walked into the sheds to find a player to interview.

He was bemused by the sight of Rayner's boilermaker father screaming his face off, finishing a string of bellowing celebrations with the very Queensland term: 'get a dog up ya!'.

The term is inoffensive, simply being is a jovial instruction to take your alcoholic beverage and drink it in celebration.

A puzzled Taylor asked Lions star Daniel Rich who the flamboyant bloke celebrating in the middle of the sheds was.

'That's Cam Rayner's old man, bit of passion there,' he said.

'He loves it, big Johnny Raynor.'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprising New Role on the Cards for Star Lion

BRISBANE is trialling the shock move of playing Cam Rayner in defence.

The former No.1 draft pick has been used in the back half during match simulation sessions this pre-season, with coach Chris Fagan confirming to AFL.com.au the move was a serious consideration.

Rayner has played as a third tall defender, one with some freedom to intercept mark, and on Wednesday was locked in on manning Lincoln McCarthy.

Fagan said there were a number of reasons for the experiment.

"He's a great team man and at under-16s he was an All-Australian as a half-back flanker, so he's actually got experience playing down there," he said.

"If you play down back, you learn a lot of things about being a forward. You learn as a backman what really challenges you, so it's a good lesson in reverse for Cam.

"He looks quite a natural down back at the moment.

"He's played all the practice matches there and we'll just weigh it up when we get to the season which way we go with him."

Rayner has played 87 games in his five seasons with the Lions, kicking 81 goals in a predominantly forward role.

After coming back last year from a reconstructed knee that wiped out his 2021, Rayner missed just one game through suspension and spent more time in the midfield than ever before.

However, with the additions of Josh Dunkley and Will Ashcroft over the off-season, the battle for midfield minutes has become a whole lot hotter, and Fagan believes in adding another position to the powerful Victorian's repertoire.

"He's also one of those blokes that's a real competitor and a real teamwork man," Fagan said.

"He's got that sort of brotherhood, mateship thing about him that suggests that he might be decent down back, and he's a really good intercept marker.

"You've got to experiment. You don't get better if you don't try new things."

5 Players to Watch in 2023

It’s no secret that Cam Rayner has spent part of his pre-season in the back half.

The former #1 draft pick has played across the half back flank throughout intraclubs and has impressed with his rebound speed and tackle pressure.

Head Coach, Chris Fagan said that it was an experiment working out well so far.

“He’s a really good medium sized forward and a good, powerful midfielder when we need him to be, but we’re just wanting to see if he can do something else and so far, it’s going pretty well.”

While it’s unknown where the 23-year-old will play once Round 1 arrives, Rayner is adding another string to his bow that will only benefit the team come season start.

'G, that's not the problem: Lions deny hoodoo at home of footy

BRISBANE'S loss against Hawthorn on Saturday had nothing to do with the venue and everything to do with its lack of work-rate, said forward Cam Rayner.

The 25-point defeat to the Hawks dropped the Lions' away record to three wins from seven matches in 2023 and consigned them to a 13th loss from their past 14 visits to the MCG.

Ahead of his 100th game on Friday night against Sydney at the Gabba, Rayner put the heat on his fellow forwards to lift their intensity.

"If we played the way we did on the weekend at the Gabba, we're still losing here," he said.

"I don't think it matters what ground we're playing at, the way we played on the weekend just wasn't acceptable.

"It's the way we've been defending the ground. Us, as a forward line, probably haven't worked hard, we need to get our work-rate up.

"This year we've done it really well, it's just the last couple of weeks we've been a bit slack at that.

"We can bring the flair and that will come natural, but we need to get back to that hard work that we've been doing throughout the year."

After jostling with the top two teams for much of the season, Brisbane is now battling to remain in fourth after losses either side of its bye to Adelaide and Hawthorn.

Sam Mitchell's team picked them apart at the weekend, using the extra width of the MCG to great effect, with Rayner saying it was the forward line group of seven that had to set the tone.

"As a forward group it's something we've prided ourselves on … to drop off and have an impact like it did on the weekend was disappointing," he said.

"It's the energy we need to bring to every game. It's the defensive pressure we need to start with."

Cam Rayner Reaches the Ton

230173_AFL_Milestone_Graphics_Article_header_Cam_Rayner.jpg

Brisbane Lions powerful utility Cam Rayner is set to play his 100th AFL match when he runs onto The Gabba on Friday.

The number one draft pick from 2017 will play his milestone game in front of a home crowd against the Sydney Swans.

Rayner, who is just the 37th number one pick to play 100 games, said he was grateful to the Club for giving him the opportunity and wants to enjoy the moment.

“It is an achievement you have to sit back and enjoy but yeah it is pretty good,” he said.

“I’ve been up here (in Brisbane) since I was 18 years old and the Club has done so much for me and put trust in me ever since I arrived here.

“It is awesome to play 100 games for Brisbane and I look forward to celebrating it with family, friends and everyone who has helped me get there.”

Rayner’s brother Lockie, who is signed on the Lions VFL list, said he is beyond proud of his brother’s achievements, as are the rest of his family.

The two brothers share a extremely strong bond on and off the training track.

“He’s done so well to get where he is, he has dealt with so many different challenges but he has made us all so proud,” Lockie said.

“Being up in Brisbane this year and seeing how hard he works to become the player he is credit to him.

“He has made us all really proud and we can’t wait to see him run out on Friday and play well.”

Drafted from the Western Jets, Rayner was touted as a player with an X-factor who was as good overhead as was at ground level and capable of breaking games open with his size and skill.

Rayner then debuted in Round 1, 2018 against St Kilda at Marvel Stadium kicking his first goal early in third term.

Except for a major knee injury which saw Rayner miss the entire 2021 season, it’s been smooth sailing for the 23-year-old from suburban Hillside in Melbourne.

Lions fans have been treated to these attributes on a number of occasions throughout his 100 matches.

Most notably his goal on the run from inside the centre square against Richmond in a Qualifying Final at the Gabba in 2020.

Two goals against Sydney on Friday night would give Rayner 96 goals in his first 100 games.

Twice Rayner has kicked four goals, once, earlier this season against Collingwood on Easter Thursday in a match winning performance.

The other occasion was against St Kilda in Round 22 last year with three of those majors coming in the last quarter.

And despite his year off Rayner will reach 100 games at 23 years 231 days.

Only four number one picks reached the same mark before their 23rd birthday – Bryce Gibbs, Brett Deledio, Josh Fraser and Adam Cooney.

Remarkable Rayner Topping Charts

Cam Rayner is a member of an exclusive club in the AFL. It’s a club of just 37 members …. players taken at No.1 in the AFL Draft.

It’s a highly prestigious group, but one to which membership can be a burden. When performance at 17 or 18 can force a ‘member’ to carry a multitude of pressures, good and bad, through an entire AFL career.

Rayner is member #32, having been claimed by the Lions with selection #1 in the 2017 Draft, and will be the 25th #1 pick to play 100 AFL games against Sydney at the Gabba on Friday night.

His start in AFL went as smoothly as expected, except for a major knee injury which saw Rayner miss the entire 2021 season. It’s been pretty much smooth sailing for easy-going 23-year-old from suburban Hillside in Melbourne, 24km north-west of the GPO, via the Doutta Stars, Essendon Grammar and the Western Jets.

Indeed, it is difficult to think how Rayner could have written a better script. Even before he’d played his first game he’d signed an extra two-year contract extension through to the end of 2021.

Then, in one of the great trivia questions, he signed not one but two contract extensions without playing a game.

Having strung together 63 games without a miss from his debut in Round 1 2018, he committed to the club for a further two years in November 2020, locking him away until the end of 2023.

In a message to Lions fans at the time, he wrote:

I am Cam Rayner and I am Lion. I love our footy club, I love our city and I’m absolutely thrilled to extend my contract with the Brisbane Lions until the end of 2023. Our fans are the best in the competition, and it gives me great pride to go out there every week and give my best for them. The passion they have for our club drives us all. It is a special feeling knowing that every one of them would proudly say “I am Lion.” The Brisbane Lions gave me my start in the AFL and I will be eternally grateful for the faith they showed in me.”

Then, when Rayner blew out his knee in March 2021, the Lions repaid the loyalty with a similar show of faith, extending his contract out to 2025.

The whole contract extension exercise, done with a minimum of fuss and fanfare, has Rayner on something of a rare path in the #1 draft pick club, where loyalty hasn’t been a big thing.

Of 37 #1 picks only 19 have been one-club players. And there are eight others still playing.

Rayner is one of four Brisbane #1 picks in a chapter of AFL history which began with the first full and official AFL Draft in 1986, when the then Brisbane Bears took Port Adelaide (SANFL) key defender and South Australian State of Origin regular Martin Leslie at #1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back