Byron Pickett (Past Players)

Remove this Banner Ad

689641-port-adelaide.jpg

The late great Clinton Grybus between 1.47 and 1.58, a bit of lead up vision then

"Pickett with an inspirational smother. Lade a handball, Mahoney can finish it. Take a bow Byron."

That footage was used between the 2004-05 off season by the original Fox Footy Channel as their promo and I saw it so many times, and Clinton saying Take a bow Byron, it has been stuck in my head ever since and when I see a highlights video of Byron that always comes to the front of my memory.

Suing his former manager and the AFLPA over lost money.

When Byron Pickett signed his first AFL contract, he thought he would be set for life. For the Port Lincoln teenager, even the $21,500 that deal was worth was an unfathomable amount of money. Five years later, he was earning almost $284,000 before tax as a Port Adelaide player. ...

Pickett has now taken legal action against the AFL Players’ Association – the peak body representing AFL and AFLW players – claiming the association breached its duty of care to him by not having in place regulations that led to his former player agent Kym Richardson allegedly stealing more than $250,000 in cash from the 2004 Norm Smith Medallist.

In a statement of claim lodged with the Supreme Court, Pickett alleges Mr Richardson withdrew $253,920 in cash without his client’s permission from a bank account he opened in trust for Pickett in December 2001.

“Kym had sole control over the ATM card, cheque book and internet banking for the Pickett account,” the statement of claim alleges.

Pickett’s claim alleges Mr Richardson and his family profited from property deals with Pickett that he did not understand.

According to the claim, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide and Melbourne paid $654,209 in wages into the account from December 2001 to August 2007.

It is further alleged cash was withdrawn from the account at a location referred to as “Parliament House” in February 2005 while Mr Richardson was the federal MP for Kingston.

Hundreds of dollars were also spent at the Roebuck Bay Hotel and Willie Creek Pearl Farm in Broome, while $1500 was withdrawn from the account on May 7, 2005, Pickett alleges.

Pickett “has never been to Broome”, according to the statement of claim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back