Bruce Lehrmann revealed as man charged with two counts of rape in Toowoomba

Remove this Banner Ad

How long until we get a front page spread of the victim's entire private life, including phone contents and dental records?

If we find out she lied to her parents about brushing her teeth as a child, how can we trust her on this????
I can already see the headline!

DAMNING NEW FINDINGS PROVES ALLEGED VICTIM A LIAR!
Prosecutor is also corrupt, and ugly.

Janet Albrechtsen.
5d1aae34a0721-bpfull.jpg

Is it that this guy is so protected by the RW media so it never gets out how much Scomo & co lied their asses off about the Higgins case or are there other forces at work?

I presume Dutton was up to his eyeballs in the coverup & they’re still trying to sell him as a legitimate candidate for PM rather than a corrupt, soulless populist without an original idea in his head beyond culture war crap.

^^^

as home affairs minister at the time, lurch would have had some access to the instruments of state that deal with matters like this (ACT policing, intel gathering etc .....)

interestingly, alex hawke who as minister responsible for the management of parliament house would have overseen precinct security and cleaning ;)

How long until we get a front page spread of the victim's entire private life, including phone contents and dental records?

If we find out she lied to her parents about brushing her teeth as a child, how can we trust her on this????
I can already see the headline!

DAMNING NEW FINDINGS PROVES ALLEGED VICTIM A LIAR!
Prosecutor is also corrupt, and ugly.

Janet Albrechtsen.
5d1aae34a0721-bpfull.jpg
It depends on how well the trial goes. I assume his defence team would have already done the backgrounding, they'll just decide how much they need to go with.

The thing is this case seems fairly weak. Again alcohol involved, it's about the condom as there was a level of consent and it will come down to a he said she said situation. And expect the defence to jump on the fact that she made the complaint after she found out who he is.

If we start seeing the girls details all over the place and articles written about her and her private life, then you can bet the prosecution has more on him than what's been discussed in the media.

I guess we will wait and see what happens. The thing is, whilst he might beat this one as well even without a juror going nuts, it's clear he's but of a shit guy, he doesnt mind penetrating girls wheb they are out of it. But what I would love to know is what his connection is to the LNP, he seems well protected for someone who is really bit of a nobody.

It depends on how well the trial goes. I assume his defence team would have already done the backgrounding, they'll just decide how much they need to go with.

The thing is this case seems fairly weak. Again alcohol involved, it's about the condom as there was a level of consent and it will come down to a he said she said situation. And expect the defence to jump on the fact that she made the complaint after she found out who he is.
Sorry but I have to pull you up here.

Saying the 'the case 'is fairly weak' when the trial hasn't even started and none of the evidence has been heard is typical of what happens in the media when it comes to charges of rape involving young women. And it pisses me off.

The credibility of the defendant and the alleged victim is critical to sexual assault cases btw where there is often no physical evidence or independent witnesses of the (alleged) assault.

So how about we just hold off on making BS assessments of whether the evidence is weak and the role played by alcohol and leave that to the Court, eh?

And as to the 'alleged backgrounding', just as in the aborted trial for his alleged rape of Brittany Higgins, the alleged victim here has had her phone forensically analysed as part of the pre-trial processes .

We all know what happened with the private details on Ms Higgins phone - they became front page news in Murdoch papers.

Let's see what happens here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry but I have to pull you up here.

Saying the 'the case 'is fairly weak' when the trial hasn't even started and none of the evidence has been heard is typical of what happens in the media when it comes to charges of rape involving young women. And it pisses me off.

The credibility of the defendant and the alleged victim is critical to sexual assault cases btw where there is often no physical evidence or independent witnesses of the (alleged) assault.

So how about we just hold off on making BS assessments of whether the evidence is weak and the role played by alcohol and leave that to the Court, eh?

And as to the 'alleged backgrounding', just as in the aborted trial for his alleged rape of Brittany Higgins, the alleged victim here has had her phone forensically analysed as part of the pre-trial processes .

We all know what happened with the private details on Ms Higgins phone - they became front page news in Murdoch papers.

Let's see what happens here.
I was simply referring the details as we have them. I believe getting the conviction here will be difficult, however not impossible.

In regards to the backgrounding, I was responding to another post talking about the playbook for this one and stating it will likely be as per his previous case.

As you said, let's see what happens from here.

Who's paying this guy's bills and why? A twice accused rapist with no income seems to have some pretty pricey legal representation.
he is getting a lot of pro bono, both his barristers in the last(? I have lost track) case worked gratis because it was so high profile

His settlements for his defamation cases have reportedly covered some of his legal costs and his $250K payday for his TV interview would have paid for some of the rest

Nonetheless my guess is he is running up debt and gambling on his multimillion dollar compo claim against the Liberal Party coming through

The legal community and the media have a lot to answer for in terms of helping him keep this circus going

It's a circus all right.

Whilst I don't think cases like this should receive widespread coverage, this is the environment we live in and Lehrmann hasn't done himself any favours by appearing voluntarily on TV. He can't set out to increase his profile and then go crying to mummy/the courts to suppress his identity. He made that bed and now needs to lie in it (pun not intended).

But I think even the most evil person must have a fair trial and the presumption of innocence.

I remember being out with a mate in 2005 at a dodgy sports club. We are both in our late teens, and both virgins.

Anyway, it is a Saturday night and we are both aimlessly punching the buttons on a slot machine each. A random women comes up to my mate and sits down next to him in an otherwise empty pokies room. She looks late 20s.

She starts rubbing his leg and pretty much immediately they are tongue kissing - the type of drunken open mouth, deep tongue that you will see in every regional pub/nightclub across the country after midnight on a Friday and Saturday night.

My mate owned a dodgy unit across the road from the sports club and drunkenly asks the chic if she wants to come back with him and off they go.

The next day my mate is on cloud nine. Saying he had sex with her several times during the night before she made a hurried exact for the door at 6 am. My mate asks her if he can see her again to which she responds, "I'm 28 with two kids, probably not".

He then says that he started kissing her while she was asleep and started having sex to which she enthusiastically joined in.

To this day the story makes me feel uneasy.

I remember being out with a mate in 2005 at a dodgy sports club. We are both in our late teens, and both virgins.

Anyway, it is a Saturday night and we are both aimlessly punching the buttons on a slot machine each. A random women comes up to my mate and sits down next to him in an otherwise empty pokies room. She looks late 20s.

She starts rubbing his leg and pretty much immediately they are tongue kissing - the type of drunken open mouth, deep tongue that you will see in every regional pub/nightclub across the country after midnight on a Friday and Saturday night.

My mate owned a dodgy unit across the road from the sports club and drunkenly asks the chic if she wants to come back with him and off they go.

The next day my mate is on cloud nine. Saying he had sex with her several times during the night before she made a hurried exact for the door at 6 am. My mate asks her if he can see her again to which she responds, "I'm 28 with two kids, probably not".

He then says that he started kissing her while she was asleep and started having sex to which she enthusiastically joined in.

To this day the story makes me feel uneasy.
I'm Richard Branson.

So you thought you'd pay that feeling forward.

My point is that he told the story to me, nearly 20 years ago now (i lost contact with him about 14 years ago), that they strolled over to his dive unit and clawed at each other before having sex consensually.

Before both falling asleep, and then numerous times during the night, he was woken from his sleep and started kissing the women, during which she (I'm assuming) has woken and continued with the kissing before moving into sexual intercourse.

The first act of sexual intercourse is clearly consensual. The subsequent acts are less clear cut imo.

Thoughts?

I think the whole situation is sketchy as hell and at no point was either party in a position to provide clear consent

if you were compos mentis you probably should have recognised neither was in a position to be making good decisions and intervened

Ol' Bryce should probably retire any "surprise sleep sex tactics" as they don't seem to be a real winner with his partners. Also makes it a bit difficult to say you had consent.

the way it's been reported so far, the complainant consented to sex, but not condomless sex. Which, if proven, is sexual assault. But nothing to do with "surprise sleep sex tactics", she was ok with the intercourse part, but conditionally.

I agree. I think the Higgins case has demonstrated how disgustingly Australian society (media, social media, the general public) still handles sex crime cases.

What good comes from constant reporting on a criminal case that hasn't been resolved? Journos will respond: 'Your right to know.' More like their right to make money out of salacious stories that sell papers and get clicks.

You have the right to know jack s**t. Criminal proceedings are very serious matters, and wall-to-wall reporting on sex cases can do nothing to help the administration of justice - it can only harm.

Once someone is found guilty, publish by all means. I don't mean every criminal case should be in closed court (that would compromise open justice), but I think the time has come for at least sex cases to have blanket suppression orders.

you forgetting the whole Higgins thing started with her paid interview?

I think the whole situation is sketchy as hell and at no point was either party in a position to provide clear consent

if you were compos mentis you probably should have recognised neither was in a position to be making good decisions and intervened

I disagree with that. Just because someone is under the influence of alcohol does not mean they cannot consent to sexual activity. Of course, there is degrees of alcohol intoxication - from a general feeling of disinhibition, to euphoria, to passed out drunk. At a certain level of intoxication, consent cannot be provided.

My mate and his new found friend were not overly intoxicated - at least to the level of being asked to leave or being refused service - they were both definitely under the influence of alcohol - not often does a 28 year old women sits next to a 18 year old male and start tongue kissing him within a few minutes of meeting. My long lost mate wouldn't mind me saying it either, he wasn't the best looking guy getting around.

What happened back at his unit i can only guess - if he wakes up and starts kissing the women sleeping next to him, and she wakes up from said kissing and then joins in, leading to sexual activity - that on face value looks like consent has been provided.

People don't hook up, and then say, "may i kiss your ear", "may i kiss your boob", "may i perform oral sex on you", "may i perform sexual intercourse on you". Rather, things progress along a gradient that, to some extent, relies on observing social cues and your partner's body language.

That is my 2 cents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back