Broad, Townsend and Butler are premiership players

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 16, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dimma's wife
If someone told you this would happen at the end of last season, you'd probably be happy for our VFL team or you'd ask which club they were all traded to.

Huge credit to those boys and the coaches.

Don't write a player off too early and don't always think that because they're not playing seniors every week that they're not worthy.

You never know when one of your hungry youngsters or depth players will take the next step and cement themself in a premiership 22.

You can add George to this list...

... and Grigg and Houli if you believe a few on here over the past 4 years or so ;)

True! Only reason I didn't include George is because he got a fair bit of praise last season along with Oleg

I really like the way townso plays footy, he won't give up his posi easily , loved that intercept 4q and goal to rub it in levers smug face
Towner fecking HURTS people!!!

Dead set, people are scared of him. That's why I love him. He smashed a few on the weekend. Crouch obviously. The free kick he gave away (which I thought was OK) and another contest in the centre.

Yep, stunned he is a Premiership Player, but even at VFL level, I loved him. My sort of player.

Broad and Townsend would still be laughing. Both probably thought they would be back to VFL footy full time by the end of 2017. Even Lambert, a lot thought that the three of them had not much more to offer after last season.
Broad is defo laughing......did you not see those ****?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty conservativ when it comes to writing off players, always wanting to give them another chance. Even still I thought Butler was a lock to be delisted even as late as February this year. I couldn't believe Broady was getting another look in and thought he was also on the way out back in June. Then Towner. I thought it would be a two week trial for him while Caddy was out and he was an automatic drop. Then the bloke goes and kicks 11 and backs it up with a series of well rounded two-way games.
100% back the post here. Let's not write off the likes of Lennon, Batchelor and Hampson yet.

Add Lambert to that list, a year ago I didnt think he would be in our best 22.

This times a million. Lambert flies under the radar a bit, maybe because he's a blue collar type without any outstanding traits, but his is the biggest rags to riches story of the year IMO. Looked completely out of his depth last year outside of round 1, and has finished 3rd in the BnF of a premiership team this year having become one of our most consistent performers. Gotta love the guy's work ethic and I really hope he keeps it up.

Obviously there is some talent and ability to all these types of players to even get on an AFL list (something I think often forgotten by some on here). However for various reasons some find it hard to make he next step to be effective at AFL level.
It maybe that they don't or can't fit into the style of football required.
Townsend was never going to make it as a midfielder, but trying him in a different position and it looks like he has found his niche at the top level.
These guys may not play 200 games, they may not play more the 50 or so as the game will change and or younger more talented players will come through and take their spot. However, for one season it has worked and they will now be premiership players forever.

Just as impressed with Sheds as I am our younger brigade. Gets criticised when we're down but has been forgotten man in our triumph. Bloke stepped up and played some real solid footy at the back end of the season.

Goodboy footy energies did a great Facebook video praising Shane Edwards' style of play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back