Toast Brad Sheppard (2010 - 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

In regards to whether Sheppard's good enough one-on-one, no, he's currently not good enough. But he can be trained for the role and given experience in the WAFL in order to develop a defensive/shut down role. WC do have a team of professional coaches who can teach him.
Yeah you'd think it'd be easier than teaching offensive flair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah you'd think it'd be easier than teaching offensive flair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offensive flair requires reading the play well enough to find the ball, and thus thinking. Intuitive, in this regard, he is not. Defense is easier to learn, for he just has to follow his opponent/defensive structure and not have to bother so much with the 'think about how I'm going to get the ball' part. He'll be lead to it and be forced into being involved in the game. The coaches can teach him positioning, body work and other defensive skills that doesn't have the additional complication of having to worry about getting the ball as often as a midfielder/flanker.

Aight, Let's do a game-by-game report. I am a horrible sponsor. If Brad could tell me how many lustful wenches he wants delivered to his Western Suburbs abode I'll make it happen. Don't know how, but I will, as Kern Hinkley says "...never give up."

Round 1: WAFL - (East Perth vs Peel Thunder)

28 Touches, 16 kicks, 12 handballs, 12 marks, 2 tackles, 3 Inside 50's, 1 behind.

Excellent game from Sheppard where he clearly demonstrated he was probably a grade above the WAFL, showing a willingness to find the ball that wasn't previously displayed in other WAFL encounters and more spread than previous. Seemed to have an injection of confidence over the pre-season.

Still had shaky disposal and fumbles at times, with BF assessing his performance as mostly adequate (Probably due to his high draft position but that's beside the point), however others had him pegged as a BOG for that game.

It is no surprise he got called up for Melbourne the next week when Sheed needed to return to the WAFL for a full game, his positional versatility and good fitness making him a good green vest candidate.

Last edited:

Round 2 (vs Melbourne at the MCG)

17 touches, 10 kicks, 7 handpasses, 6 contested, 11 uncontested, 64.7% disposal efficiency, 2 clangers, 3 I50's, 1 R50.

Came in as sub for Hurn under difficult circumstances (It's hard to make an impression when your team is running around at low intensity having iced the game at quarter time).

Was at the game in person and performed well IMO. Still a bit shaky with his ball handling and one touch pick-ups but attacked the contest with greater exuberance than usual, much more confidence than under Woosh and had some excellent moments of poise and judgement that balanced off against more unfortunate errors.

With Hurn going down for a few weeks and the lack of any obvious candidate (Butler/Carter aside) to make Hurn's attack Half-Back position their own, Sheppard's performance was adequate enough to secure himself a few more games at least.

Round 3 (vs St. Kilda at the Dong)

21 touches, 16 kicks, 5 handpasses, 6 marks, 9 contested, 15 uncontested (Meaning his spread from congestion was excellent), 2 clangers, 61.9% efficiency, 2 1%'ers.

Much better game than Bradley. His efficiency surprised me however given his risk-taking and confidence to deliver the ball from inside the corridor off Half-Back I felt that explained his stats.

Stepped up admirably with Yeo and Ellis to fill the void vacated by Hurn and offered a lot of dash. His ball handling substantially improved on his efforts against Melbourne, used his dash excellently and was crucial in turning the tide against St. Kilda in the second half.

Deservedly received votes from the Big Footy votes for his second half. Secured his spot until Hurn's return at the very least with his effort that afternoon.

Round 4 - (vs. Geelong at the Cattery)

15 touches, 10 kicks, 5 handpasses, 4 contested, 12 uncontested, 2 marks, 3 R50's, 2 I50's, 2 clangers, 60% efficiency

Disappointing game for Shep, among many who failed to step up down at the Cattery. Was way too fumbly in the wet and was badly exposed by Bartel (His direct opponent for much of the evening). I daresay he learnt a valuable lesson this evening.

Was at the ground though and his second half was encouraging. Along with Gaff, Yeo and Ellis offered some run out of the defensive 50 during the second half, to no avail thanks to all our inside mids having a bad case of the Virgin Australia Curries.

A forgettable game, but was among many. A general thing to note though, is that his confidence is much improved, and this is certainly key as he gets closer to 50 games.

He is starting to genuinely look like he could be a solid 100+ game AFL player; if this sort of effort signals a poor game for him, it at least shows that his floor is lifting - the gap between his worst and best is less significant, and this is only a positive IMO.

Round 5 - (vs Port at the Dong)

14 touches, 8 kicks, 6 handpasses, 5 contested, 12 uncontested, 2 clangers, 78.6% efficiency, 4 marks, 3R50's, 2 tackles, 4 1%'ers, 1 I50

Lots of votes for Sheppard in this game but I actually don't feel his impact was as tangible in statistics as other players, so only got the HM in my own personal voting because he didn't offer with his ball use/ball winning ability as much as usual.

However, his intensity was fantastic. Now I know he's more experienced than Wines, so he should be able to knock him over, but his head-clash with Port's very own Majin Buu and ability to keep his feet over the much heavier baby-monster mid was impressive as a display of core strength. He's not heavy, but it seems as though he finally has built the core necessary to keep his feet at AFL level.

This also showed in his continued improvement with ball handling beneath the knees and ability to get a decent handball out in congestion.

The only thing that was lacking was a high disposal count. However, with Bennell having a superb game and Yeo taking it upon himself to run and gun out of defense (To exhilarating effect) perhaps this was to be expected.

Sheppard's looking much closer to our best 22 than I expected at the start of the season, and while he is still a way behind Hurn, if Ellis' body lets us town repetitively, I think he will be a valuable Wing/HB rotation with some scope to pinch hit in the guts, as he did to some moderate success early in 2013.

Good work Shep.

In commemoration of his Wines hit/contest on the weekend...

n7MbZNw.jpg

and some more courtesy of the :rainbow:Shep Appreciation Society:rainbow: (In anticipation of Brad Scott Week/Round 11/Brad Sheppard Appreciation Week)

2n3Wr9L.jpg

lswG8aM.jpg

kmjThE7.jpg

Bradley hitting the big 5-0 this week. Enjoy your 50th Bradley, no more eye pokes as well and hopefully you'll sneak down and kick a couple of snaggas.

Courtesy of Toshowyouwhy

Spotted Shep destroying copious pasta in the same Lygon St restaraunt as myself tonight. Koby Stevens was with him, and some other dude.

Now as much I don't like the idea of Shep hanging out with that spud Stevens, good to see some carbo loading for tomorrow.

If he eats lots of pasta he must burn it all up while playing; still looks skinny to me. Having said that I thought that he was one of our best players against the Blues (only saw second half mind you ).

v Carlton heckSTICKS (at the Collins Superannuation Fund)

19 touches, 15 kicks, 4 handpasses, 6 marks, 3 contested, 15 uncontested, 84.2% efficiency, 3 R50's, 3 I50's, 2 1%'ers.

Bradley, excellent game today, and congratulations on not getting injured and playing an excellent 50th game. You made a couple of errors by foot late but were mostly crisp (as opposed to Cripps), effective and courageous. Strong defensive efforts once again, probably need to tackle more but you aren't alone there.

Some beautiful dash and run today, was an excellent contributor and I just hope he can steadily up the disposals. We're a far better team with him moving the ball out from the defensive 50.

Deservedly in the votes on Big Footy and I hope he gets some love in the Woosha Medal for this game later in the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will do his write up for the superb game he played on the weekend as soon as I do my uni assignment on Friday.

Needless to say he very good.

I will do his write up for the superb game he played on the weekend as soon as I do my uni assignment on Friday.

Needless to say he very good.

heck the grades man, we want a Sheppard update :mad:

Huge credit to Shep, put in a lot of hard work and has cemented himself in our best 18 at the moment.

REMI SPONSORS SHEP, FANS REJOICE

Let's just be blatantly obvious here. The ones who have come before me...they did a trash job. That being said, today marks a new day, where a new hero rises up and takes the goat by the horns and punts it over towards Fremantle. The one who will single-handedly stop the Reapers, Fremantle, Bombers drug-cheats, and bang every hot female, alien or human from here to Jupiter. The one man, who can save us all. Brad Sheppard. Savior of our humanity. Protector of the universe. Part-time cricketer.

And let's be honest, I am the only man who is able to change this boy, into a man.

He was taken at #7. He has been overshadowed by his fellow draftees. Hated by a large majority of the lesser fans. But I know better. I can see what potential lies beneath this young shepherd. It's time for him to stop protecting sheep from bears and wolves, and to become A Man. And who better than I?

We've all seen what my pedigree is...

Embley in 2011, where he almost made AA year, where he had such a career resurgence people thought he had unlocked the fountain of youth. Where once again, the Eagles fans could watch and admire Embley streaming down the wing in full flight, multiple bounces and then a kick straight onto the chest of a teammate, or for a goal. Was it the fountain of youth? No. In fact, it was actually my support. That, and his hot wife. But mostly my support.

Lycett in 2012. The great hulking South Australian beast who is one big man. Where in 2012, unable to get a game he still tore havoc into the ranks of WAFL players everywhere, feasting on their flesh. My sponsorship doubled his development in the WAFL, where he is now primed to become best 22.

Mitch 'Beast' Brown in 2013. The massive Victorian with biceps bigger than his head. The one who had suffered much, hated by all, revered by one...me. Only I had faith in him when he was in the depths of hell. But instead of clawing his way out, he embraced it. He embraced the hate, turning into the beast. Every week (except the weeks where he was dropped) he would use his iron fists of steel and the hulking rhinoceros esque-body to hunt down the souls of man.

The King Jack Darling in 2014. Had a massive year, averaging 1.8 goals a game and showcasing his versatility in the midfield. We all know what he brought to the table, but this year he had a consistency never yet seen before by Darling.

But it is a thankless job. People do not understand, nor respect my choices for sponsorship. But it will all end today. In 2015, I will be recognised for my mighty sponsorship, and get that #1 pick that eludes me (bloody mods, pick 3 in 2014 after all the work I did? No wonder I didn't do anything in 2014 fools.)

And finally now, I have the task of turning Brad Sheppard into Commander Sheppard.
It won't be easy. It will be a hard road. There will be much blood and many tears. But it will be the blood of the haters, and the tears of the fanboys who ever doubted what Sheppard could do.

If Sheppard was here now, I can imagine what he would say. "Hell, it's about time....that bastard Reminiscence has finally sponsored me."

Sheppard NAB R1: Bangs Blues Harder Than Hes Banged a Blue Alien

Commander Sheppard went huge today. Besides the constant encouragement and streams of advice coming out of my mouth, my sponsorship and harsh training methods have helped Sheppard evolve. He showed it today. I give zero craps that this is NAB cup. If you play in NAB and you suck, you suck, or your just worse than Sheppard. He's so good, a band even named themselves after him. They also have two plastic dolls. So they're doin' alright.

But I digress. Many people have doubted him. Some even hate him.
But with me by his side, nothing can contain him.
Liara is in for one hell of a night.

Stats:
7H
9M
2T
97 DT

Extra Stats:
I50s, with at least 3 of them being scores.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back