Universal Love Brad Close

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm so proud of Brad Close's response to a poor start to the season.

First 3 games: 1 goal, 0 assists = 0.33 direct goal contributions per game

Last 3 games: 8 goals, 7 assists = 5 direct goal contributions per game

I realise it's easier when your team is functioning well but those are still crazy numbers for a forward flanker who was very down on confidence. And although there may be some merit in the claim that Close's skills compliment well oiled rather than spluttering machines, he has helped drive the turnaround rather than simply benefiting from it. Miers and Cameron were already in excellent form so if our other running machine forward is back in his groove teams will seriously struggle to defend Geelong attacks.

I realise it's easier when your team is functioning well but those are still crazy numbers for a forward flanker who was very down on confidence. And although there may be some merit in the claim that Close's skills compliment well oiled rather than spluttering machines
One of my all-time favs - does not look like a footballer, is too short, looks like Private Walker in Dad's Army, but just gets the job done. Just wins. From his first game, just 8 from being rookied, took the whole of 33 seconds to take a confident mark as if he was a seasoned professional playing his 20th before cooling converting, to effortless doing look away handballs over his shoulders to players in better positions in a grand final. Does not let opportunity go to waste.

I'm so proud of Brad Close's response to a poor start to the season.

First 3 games: 1 goal, 0 assists = 0.33 direct goal contributions per game

Last 3 games: 8 goals, 7 assists = 5 direct goal contributions per game

I realise it's easier when your team is functioning well but those are still crazy numbers for a forward flanker who was very down on confidence. And although there may be some merit in the claim that Close's skills compliment well oiled rather than spluttering machines, he has helped drive the turnaround rather than simply benefiting from it. Miers and Cameron were already in excellent form so if our other running machine forward is back in his groove teams will seriously struggle to defend Geelong attacks.
Another 4 direct goal contributions today (1 goal, 3 assists). 10 goal assists in his last 4 games is pretty unbelievable. He's moved into equal 3rd in the comp and is gaining on Miers.

Hawkins equal 3rd, Danger 2nd and Miers 1st. We sure do share them around.

Another 4 direct goal contributions today (1 goal, 3 assists). 10 goal assists in his last 4 games is pretty unbelievable. He's moved into equal 3rd in the comp and is gaining on Miers.

Hawkins equal 3rd, Danger 2nd and Miers 1st. We sure do share them around.

Close is class.

The unexpected and very welcome bonus has been the inclusion and form of Sam Simpson.

There's only one Tyson Stengle, but Simpson has come in and added to that small forward mix in a very fortuitous manner.

"Geelong's Brad Close has penned a fresh two-year contract extension, locking him to the club until the end of 2025.

SEN.com.au understands the deal was finalised this week. The 24-year-old never explored leaving and his management only negotiated with the Cats.

Close, a lively forward, has played 54 consecutive senior games and has become one of Chris Scott’s most reliable performers. Only Tom Hawkins has played more consecutive games (78) of the club’s current players."

Read more here:

Premiership Cat inks fresh contract extension

"The 24-year-old never explored leaving and his management only negotiated with the Cats".

Attachments

• 36921d88c301f628551e81c7dd60cf296947b56c.gif
    36921d88c301f628551e81c7dd60cf296947b56c.gif
    819.6 KB · Views: 40

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Close struggled somewhat in the 2 games following his suspension but returned to his form of the previous 5 weeks on Saturday.

The inconsistency has been frustrating but his numbers are interesting.

Equal 5th in the league for goal assists.

1.1 goals per game and 1.2 goal assists per game for 2.3 direct goal contributions is a very good record and actually an improvement on his 2022 averages. 25 direct goal contributions actually has him 31st in the league (having missed a game) and ahead of Miers on 22.

I'm not for a second saying he's been as good as Miers in his overall game. He's not getting as much of the footy or linking up as well between the arcs. However he's been definitely impacting the scoreboard.

Well on the usual Close metrics I track - goals and assists - he finished on 1 total. Sounds underwhelming, right?

He was immense tonight in a roaming role more similar to a wingman or midfielder. A team high 24 disposals, 7 score involvements (only Rohan had more), 3 clearances and 4 tackles (crucial, effective, game changing ones). But then also countless knock ons, soccer's forward to advantage, pressuring opposition ball carriers or blocking their quick releases. He was the Duracell Bunny tonight - all action, all class and highly effective.

Becoming somewhat of a barometer for us and functions best when the team is in sync - all those releasing handballs and clever kicks get our game flowing. If we are not making the runs, offers and are not set up soundly I don't think what Close provides has the same edge.

He's lifted in a couple of vital, tough games over the past 3 weeks too.

Well on the usual Close metrics I track - goals and assists - he finished on 1 total. Sounds underwhelming, right?

He was immense tonight in a roaming role more similar to a wingman or midfielder. A team high 24 disposals, 7 score involvements (only Rohan had more), 3 clearances and 4 tackles (crucial, effective, game changing ones). But then also countless knock ons, soccer's forward to advantage, pressuring opposition ball carriers or blocking their quick releases. He was the Duracell Bunny tonight - all action, all class and highly effective.

Becoming somewhat of a barometer for us and functions best when the team is in sync - all those releasing handballs and clever kicks get our game flowing. If we are not making the runs, offers and are not set up soundly I don't think what Close provides has the same edge.

He's lifted in a couple of vital, tough games over the past 3 weeks too.
He was truly outstanding last night. Not just with the chase and tackle that barrelled Hunter and led to Chucky's breakaway goal, as fantastic as that was. But his desire and intensity was first-class all night, setting a standard that others rose to in the last quarter. While his season didn't start auspiciously, he has absolutely lifted his rating in recent weeks. And the Dees game was a pleasing reinforcement of the 'reward for effort' principle, as his numbers and influence entirely matched his manic commitment to the team cause. His team ethic sees him always looking to release the ball to a Cat in a better position, and his nous in this area is a big part of seeing our attacking game open up when he's on song.

For a slight player in the traditional footy sense, he is incredibly brave and selfless, constantly throwing himself at the footy and willing himself to contests when others would have stood back or sagged off. While the 'hunt' of the entire team has been demonstrably down for much of the year, hopefully his performance in this match (and the team's marked improvement in this area in the fourth quarter) might be a sign of things to come in 2023.

What a rookie, what a story, what a player.

Number of times with 3 or more combined goals/assists:

2022 (25 games): 7
2023 (16 games): 7

After his horror start to the year - first 3 rounds totalling 1 goal, 0 assists - Close has averaged 2.5 goals/assists per game. For a comparison, his season 2022 average was 1.9.

Miers is the poster boy for 2023 improvement and rightly so, but Close bouncing back from that slow start in such a way - in a team that has been depleted and dysfunctional for large parts - also deserves serious kudos.

Number of times with 3 or more combined goals/assists:

2022 (25 games): 7
2023 (16 games): 7

After his horror start to the year - first 3 rounds totalling 1 goal, 0 assists - Close has averaged 2.5 goals/assists per game. For a comparison, his season 2022 average was 1.9.

Miers is the poster boy for 2023 improvement and rightly so, but Close bouncing back from that slow start in such a way - in a team that has been depleted and dysfunctional for large parts - also deserves serious kudos.
Getting back to this, Close racked up one more 3+ goal/assist game (vs Collingwood in round 21). 8 in total this season. When he was good he was very good. But he flashed hot and cold.

3 goals from his last 5 games was a bit disappointing, even if he did lay off 5 goal assists and in his last game vs St Kilda he was injured halfway through.

3 tackles combined from the Brisbane, PA, Collingwood and St Kilda games combined (a Freo outlier in the middle with 6 tackles) to finish the season wasn't good.

5 games with 1 tackle, 4 games with 0 this season. In 2022, 1 game with 1 tackle and 2 games with 0 (despite playing 4 more games).

Plenty to improve on with Close but just because I believe he can push to borderline elite standards. 2 goals/assists per game this season overall was very respectable, but more disposals and tackles to indicate more consistent offensive/defensive involvement is required. Same with Stengle.

He's looked a bit better this year, but still tends to flash in and out of games. I know that's part of playing up forward - you're only as good as your supply - but he doesn't quite put together 4 quarters in the same way that Miers and Stengle do.
Hard to tell, not being at games, but I feel his role has changed a bit..

He's looked a bit better this year, but still tends to flash in and out of games. I know that's part of playing up forward - you're only as good as your supply - but he doesn't quite put together 4 quarters in the same way that Miers and Stengle do.
When Close is on-song he's great and extremely creative with setting up goals as well but this year he's been a fraction off a few times with a missed tackle, a fumble of the ball, a misdirected kick here or misdirected handball there, it's only marginal but they add up. Clean that up and get back to his 2022 form where at times he was sensational and not only will he be undroppable but a real threat to the opposition. Let's hope that's the case because he really is a joy to watch when he's up and about!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back