Preview Box Hill vs Casey, Saturday 17th March @Casey 12pm

Remove this Banner Ad

HFC players Brand, Jones, Lovell, Mirra [4].
MFC players Frost, Garlett, Harmes, Jetta, Kent, Joel Smith, Tim Smith, Tyson, Weideman [9].
Basically there was a 6 goal breeze which would have been an 8 goal breeze if it was directly down the ground. Casey were bigger and stronger and their transition and by hand and foot was better. The BHH were often caught behind kicking into the breeze. Dom Tyson dominated the clearances and around the ground. Jack Frost was very good at CHB. Our pressure and endeavour were good however it was a real scrap. The game was iced when Casey kicked the last 3 goals in the second quarter.
Casey 4.8.32; 8.11.59; 9.14.68; 12.15.87
BHH 0.1.1; 4.2.26; 4.5.29; 4.8.32
Bearing in mind Brand, Jones and Lovell were playing their first game in a long time following injury and Mirra celebrated his wedding last Saturday the following are my thoughts on their games.
Brand was rusty in the first half mainly resorting to some good spoiling. He was good in the second half with a couple of nice marks and some good use of the ball. The positive was he played the whole game and kept Weideman under control. The conditions were not good for a key forward although the ball was often in Casey's forward line.
Jones played the first half and was one of our better players. He started the game in the centre square and often got his hands on the ball, provided good pressure and his tackling was good. In the second quarter he kicked a very good goal from just outside 50 metres under pressure. His first quarter was good enough for Casey to hold him off the ball in the second quarter which naturally the umpires ignored. I liked what I saw.
Lovell started the game in the centre square and struggled to get into the game in the first half although he kicked our first goal in the second quarter with a great kick from an acute angle. It was the goal of the game. His second half was far more productive however he did not get enough value from his disposals either by hand or foot. The game will benefit him.
Mirra played a solid game across the back line. He halved or won most one on one contests and his ball handling, use, team support, leadership and decision making were good.
I thought Will Hams, Lachie Walker, Mitch O'Donnell, Liam Jeffs, Jordan Haynes, Geordie Nagle and Michael Knoll were some of our players worthy of mention.

Hey houdinihuddo, do you know if Connor O'Sullivan is still at Box Hill this year?

Sounds like Knoll is the preferred (or only non-HFC listed) ruckman now?

Was there a reason only 4 hawthorn listed players played from a list of 45 ?
The AFL listed players have the week off prior to round one. A limited number of players who have missed the intra club and/or JLT games are permitted to play.

I understand Connor O'Sullivan is playing for Norwood in the EFL. He was a very good undersized ruckman at 198cms who was terrific around the ground. Michael Knoll competed well and we really struggled when he was on the interchange bench and assessed after a heavy head knock in the third quarter. He came back on and showed good character. Liam Jeffs 192cms, 78kgs struggled in the centre square against Byers 203cms, 97 kgs but competed well around the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryan McGannon came to my notice in the second half with his strength in the contest and ability to keep his feet. Due to the strong wind the game was rather congested and the skills and strength of the younger VFL players were tested. The backward step of scrapping of the development league will deprive me of the pleasure of watching Ryan and our other young players develop. I understand why the AFL is pushing women's football and the VFL could not support both the development league and VFLW however in the long run young footballers coming out of the TAC, country and local leagues will be the losers because they no longer have the advantage of maximizing their development at a VFL club like the BHH.

Imagine if Clarko had that list.

I would hate to be a MFC historian, or Baggers for that matter; looking for, and trying to find excuses for both clubs lack of success, while year after year they were gifted with the best youngsters in the country would be heartbreaking.

You might discover many skeletons hidden away.

The AFL listed players have the week off prior to round one. A limited number of players who have missed the intra club and/or JLT games are permitted to play.
so why did Casey Demons have approx 10 listed Melbourne players that played ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back