Opinion Bottom 4 and top 4 teams in 3 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Last two posters have north in the bottom 4. What a bunch of nuffies
a. when was the last time we bottomed out?
b. List is not as old as being made out :rolleyes:

And in 3 years time turner will be filling harvey's spot (not saying he will be as good but still), brown taking over from petrie and mcdonald moving to the midfield all of which will be very good players. Ziebell, Cunnington, atley, greenwood, black, macmillan, wright, will all be in their prime. Thomas, thompson and swallow will all still be playing well. I can play that game too. If we are bottom 4 with these players i will go he. Just because we haven't been gifted top draft picks by the afl like gws and gold coast it doesn't mean we can't make good selections or develop youth.

North doesnt bottom out
We are not a franchised club with no heart

This is all kind of funny in hindsight.

Mate... you're in for a rude awakening. There is at least a decade in the bottom 10-12 waiting for North Melbourne.
hahahahaha we'll see, champ. how do you explain Carlton being so bad for so long? the AFL has never worked like that. First year of our rebuild and we finished above you. Explain that.

hahahahaha we'll see, champ. how do you explain Carlton being so bad for so long? the AFL has never worked like that. First year of our rebuild and we finished above you. Explain that.

Posting on the wrong account :p ?

And in 3 years time turner will be filling harvey's spot (not saying he will be as good but still), brown taking over from petrie and mcdonald moving to the midfield all of which will be very good players. Ziebell, Cunnington, atley, greenwood, black, macmillan, wright, will all be in their prime. Thomas, thompson and swallow will all still be playing well. I can play that game too. If we are bottom 4 with these players i will go he. Just because we haven't been gifted top draft picks by the afl like gws and gold coast it doesn't mean we can't make good selections or develop youth.

he

What a waste of time. Nobody would have any idea as three years ago who would have thought that the Bulldogs would win the flag 2016 and then Richmond 2017?? As somebody else said 3 years is a long time in football!

My prediction for end of 2021(3 seasons time):

Top 4:
Dees
Richmond
Hawthorn
Western Bulldogs

Bottom 4:
Carlton
Gold Coast
Brisbane
St Kilda

Someone remind me to come back to this in 3 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a waste of time. Nobody would have any idea as three years ago who would have thought that the Bulldogs would win the flag 2016 and then Richmond 2017?? As somebody else said 3 years is a long time in football!
What's a bigger waste of time... coming here to post a prediction or coming here to tell people posting predictions is a waste of time...?

I'm going to try this again:

Top 4:

Western Bulldogs - world-class midfield of Bontempelli, Macrae, Smith, Dunkley, Treloar and Hunter which should still be great by 2024. 3 great/potentially great key forwards in Naughton, Jamarra and Darcy, with Bruce still being around. Daniel, Dale and Williams as backline generals. Weightman the star small forward. English the multi-positional weapon. Will be up there for a long time, especially if they find another key defender.

Sydney - have the perfect attacking weapons for a team with Dawson, Blakey, Campbell, Gulden, McInerney. 3 potentially top-class onballers in Mills, Rowbottom and Warner. Class medium forwards in Heeney, Hayward, Papley and (at that point in his career) Parker. McCartin and McDonald the core of a great spine. Maybe a couple of queries in the talls but still a very impressive nucleus.

Melbourne - midfield core of Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw and Langdon still at their best, with good depth in Jordan, Harmes and Sparrow. Pickett likely to be the best small forward in the comp at that point and their collection of smalls + mediums in him, Fritsch, Spargo and Neal-Bullen still strong. Defensive core of Lever, May, Petty, Salem, Hunt, Rivers and Bowey still good and have one potentially elite ruck in Jackson with complements from the aging Gawn. Key fowards a question mark.

Brisbane - will probably start to drop off somewhat by this point - all of Gardiner, Neale, Lyons, Daniher, Cameron, McCarthy, McStay and McInerney will either be over or nearing 30 - but their side will still have lots and lots of talent with McCluggage, Andrews, Hipwood, Starcevich, Bailey, Rayner, Berry and Robertson at the peak of the powers as well as those guys still being near their peak. Replacing Rich and Birchall the main query.

Bottom 4:

Adelaide - probably a bit harsh but I have concerns on how their off-field + recruiting situation is. Sure there are young promising names there in Thilthorpe, Schoenberg, Sholl, Butts, Murray, Pedlar, Cook, McHenry and Berry but apart from Thilthorpe I'm not convinced any of them are going to be flat out elite, and I worry that letting go of so many veterans might see them pull a Melbourne of 10 years ago where they look to have heaps of promising young talent that just doesn't develop like it should. Not a lot of recent luck with first-round picks either.

Geelong - they've gone hard for the now but it's at the consequence of the future. All of Higgins, Selwood, Hawkins, Smith, Tuohy, Henderson, Dangerfield, Stanley, Blicavs, Rohan and Duncan will likely either have retired or be bit part players. Of their youngsters the only ones I think are likely to get to a high level are Parfitt and Henry; the others feel like role players which will be difficult to manage or seem likely to walk due to lack of opportunities (Clark, Narkle, Constable). They still have a really good club culture and the best go-home factor in the competition which might see them maintaining relevance through recruiting, but as we've seen with Hawthorn there are limits to that approach.....

Collingwood - I think they'll start to be rising again at this point but there's a lot of serious problems in the medium-term that need to be fixed. Pendlebury, Howe, Roughead, Sidebottom and Elliot I think will all be gone by that point. Still have significant cap concerns which will inhibit their recruting potential, especially with all of Maynard, De Goey and Moore being RFA's. They've done well with recruiting kids and Nick Daicos could be a flat out freak but they'll still be quite young in 2024 and I'm not sure how many of their kids will be flat out elite.

West Coast - all of Kennedy, Hurn, Naitanui, Shuey, Redden, Sheppard and McGovern likely to be gone or just about to go by 2024. In addition, Yeo's body is potentially shot and Darling seems to have regressed in recent times too. Allen probably their only real top-tier under 23 player; and even in the 24-27 age bracket the talent feels skinny. Their kids will need time to come on. In serious, serious trouble.

Last edited:
Re-read my 2017 predictions for 2020 and I went 2/8 I think. Here we go again. In no particular order of course.
Top 4:
Port Adelaide: Maybe a little bit of bias here, but I don’t think many could have predicted us to have come good by 2020, it was expected to happen later. Add some finals experience into a list that Judging by the talent our young boys have, there’s a few ready replacements for our older boys who have been punching above their weight lately (Gray -> Butters, Dixon -> Georgiades, Wines -> Drew etc.) and I have extreme confidence in those who are in charge of drafting and trades.
Brisbane: They’ve been solid since 2019 and I don’t think they’ll be past it in 2024. They might end up on the decline by then but I think they’ll still be in the top 4.
Fremantle: A bold call but I think they have some very talented players on their list like Darcy, Bradshaw, Serong, etc. and with the right moves they could be firmly wedged in the top 4 in three years. Very risky pick though.
Western Bulldogs: Given Geelong are still kicking with a fair few old buggers in their side, I don’t think the Doggies’ incredibly talented midfield will be beyond their primes in three years. Naughton up forward will continue to impress and he’ll be 24 by then. A tantalising prospect for them.

I realise I’ve picked 3 teams that ended the regular season in the top 5 this year but it is what it is

Bottom 4:
Adelaide: Not to discredit them at all, but I do think they were the worst side this year (very very close behind North). I think 3 years time is about when they’ll start to begin an ascension up the ladder, they just need time and a bit of luck with the right picks.
Carlton: Those in charge of the Blues need to realise that there’s no shame in not being a top team at the moment. The media and the club continue to put higher expectations than what they can realistically achieve (finals next year, ******* lol) and it’s not healthy. As long as they keep sacking coaches to hide the shortcomings of the club they will not be going anywhere good.
Geelong: Much like where Hawthorn have found themselves by prioritising trading over drafting, I think Geelong will end up at the bottom end of the ladder. They’ve gone for a “win now” strategy at the moment but regardless of whether it works now, the next phase of that strategy is to go straight into a rebuild. No surprises if that’s the spot they’re in in three years
Richmond: They’ve trended downwards this year obviously, whether that trend continues or 2021 was just a blip will remain to be seen, but they’ve had their great run which is likely over and I think a rebuild will be in progress very soon. If not next year, absolutely by 2024 it will be.

BONUS - Tasmania: If Tassie does have a team in 2024, it’ll be at most 2 years into competing (they obviously won’t have one for 2022) and I don’t see them being out of the bottom 4 by then. The talent pool in Tasmania has been shrinking and given they’ll most likely pick a bunch of young Tasmanian players, their list won’t be amazing but that’s ok. The results of a new team are meant to really shine through in 15-25 years when kids have grown up with a local side and are more likely to have been entrenched in football culture. If Tassie are in the league in 2024 then I guess Adelaide will probably be the top team out of the above 4.

Post which teams you see in the bottom 4 and top 4 in 3 years from now, order doesn't matter.

Apologies if there is a thread like this but I couldn't see one.

Bottom 4:
1. North Melbourne
2. Port Adelaide
3. Hawthorn
4. Sydney

Top 4:
1. Melbourne
2. Carlton
3. Fremantle
4. Adelaide
Has it been mentioned how great it is the OP got it so miserably wrong and his predictions for bottom 4 all ended up in the top 4 instead:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Has it been mentioned how great it is the OP got it so miserably wrong and his predictions for bottom 4 all ended up in the top 4 instead:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Fortunately that post was written in 2010, only two of those sides made the Top 4 in 2013.

Still pretty lol in hindsight.

This one seems a bit weird :confused:

Wouldn't think Geelong would still be top 4, wouldn't think doggies would slide all the way to bottom 4. Hope like hell that we're not still bottom 4 :D
Lol’d

A45DF37A-AF09-41C7-AFF7-F627319AA90A.jpeg
Well done to the Nostradamus that correctly picked all that though!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back