Prediction Bookmarked

Remove this Banner Ad

I expect us to drop back at bit. Our second half of last year was really one dominant month, then a series of less inspiring games where we got lucky in the close ones (4 straight wins in matches decided by less than a goal) and got belted in our losses (vs GWS and Brisbane, top 4 teams, but I thought a class above us last year). That offset a bad start where we got a bit unlucky and lost form and confidence. We ended up about where we deserved imo - 13-9-1 and the bottom half of the 8, and then had an exciting 2 weeks (and a quarter).

I don't really see where we improve much though, and expect a slightly tougher path this year, so expect probably 11-13 wins fringe of the 8 and once again relying on luck, form and results to get us into finals. Just getting back to finals for a second straight year would be an achievement - lets not forget last year was the first time we have finished in the top 8 since the league added an 18th team. I don't expect us to be able to jump straight from the outhouse to the penthouse, and just being consistently competitive for 3,4,5 seasons would be a step up, and provide a launching pad imo.

I do think we are more dangerous in finals than in March. We can play tough hard footy woth anyone and have two big forwards who can break a game open. We play Colingwood better than anyone else imo, and possibly Melbourne too. A bottom half of the 8 and surprising finals run isn't out of the question ( a la 2023).

Sadly, I don't have much faith in Voss's coaching. I think he is a very good motivator, and will concede he may have even been the man we 'needed' to break our 9 year run of complete hopelessness. But I don't believe he is tactically on par with some of the other coaches going around and as a result we rely too much on motivation and not enough on structure. Everything feels hard, even when it looks good, and that's a concern. We saw last year how hard it can be to turn around a bad structure when things aren't gelling.

And obviously, I hope we are better; particularly once we resolve a few off-season niggles and the season gets properly underway. As a bove, I think we're better in the depths and grind of winter than we will be in the first month or so, and I don't see any reason we can't put it together more consistently and improve, but I also think that is less likely than a slight regression on the highs of the end of 2023. I'd absolutely take 'consistently decent/borderline finals' over the previous 2 decades, anyway.

1. Cerra, Weitering, Cripps, Curnow AA squad
  2. Weitering, Cripps, Curnow AA - the difference with JW is impossible to ignore
  3. 15 wins - enter finals as the in form team of the competition.
  4. Boyd, both Hollands stamp themselves as bonafide best 22
  5. Zac Williams - hot and cold. Lots of detractors on this forum - comes up big when people have written him off
  6. In addition to the Camporeale boys this is the year we do this team's version of the Greg Williams and Earl Spalding level acquisitions.
  7. Primed for 2025.

We will be in full blown crisis mode by round 6, can’t trust em, and frankly the way we moved the ball in preseason we haven’t got any better.

Teams will nullify our one wood, no other woods in the bag to fall back on

Turnover game is where it’s at, and we still massively suck at it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We will be in full blown crisis mode by round 6, can’t trust em, and frankly the way we moved the ball in preseason we haven’t got any better.

Can’t resist a response to the golf analogy. In my first serious year of golf way back when, I was runner up in the C Grade Champs at my club beaten by a shot using IRONS only (except one bloody shot when varied from my strategy of not using the clubs I was erratic with. Triple bogey, and lost by one shot).

“Teams will nullify our one wood, no other woods in the bag to fall back on”. Yeah, NAH. If our clearance one wood is challenged, we have a growing band of quick midfield options who can be repurposed, starting with the Hollands boys. It is. WIP, but we are changing it up.

"Can't trust em" - the team that won 11 of their last 13 games including 2 finals?

Surely other teams would have been looking to take away our one wood last year. The Pies, the Dees (twice) , Port, the Saints, the Swans etc had the opportunity and couldn't.

Just because David King dishes up some half baked stat about us being 13th on turnovers last year we finished 3rd on the ladder. Marginal improvement would see us win more games supposedly.

We have quite a few one woods in the bag. Apart from our brutal contested game we have the best key forward combination in the game, a really solid and quick defence with great users in Weitering, Saad, Boyd, Williams and McGovern.

My bookmark would be that we will finish top 4 and have our destiny in our hands come finals tine.

I expect us to drop back at bit. Our second half of last year was really one dominant month, then a series of less inspiring games where we got lucky in the close ones (4 straight wins in matches decided by less than a goal) and got belted in our losses (vs GWS and Brisbane, top 4 teams, but I thought a class above us last year). That offset a bad start where we got a bit unlucky and lost form and confidence. We ended up about where we deserved imo - 13-9-1 and the bottom half of the 8, and then had an exciting 2 weeks (and a quarter).

I don't really see where we improve much though, and expect a slightly tougher path this year, so expect probably 11-13 wins fringe of the 8 and once again relying on luck, form and results to get us into finals. Just getting back to finals for a second straight year would be an achievement - lets not forget last year was the first time we have finished in the top 8 since the league added an 18th team. I don't expect us to be able to jump straight from the outhouse to the penthouse, and just being consistently competitive for 3,4,5 seasons would be a step up, and provide a launching pad imo.

I do think we are more dangerous in finals than in March. We can play tough hard footy woth anyone and have two big forwards who can break a game open. We play Colingwood better than anyone else imo, and possibly Melbourne too. A bottom half of the 8 and surprising finals run isn't out of the question ( a la 2023).

Sadly, I don't have much faith in Voss's coaching. I think he is a very good motivator, and will concede he may have even been the man we 'needed' to break our 9 year run of complete hopelessness. But I don't believe he is tactically on par with some of the other coaches going around and as a result we rely too much on motivation and not enough on structure. Everything feels hard, even when it looks good, and that's a concern. We saw last year how hard it can be to turn around a bad structure when things aren't gelling.

And obviously, I hope we are better; particularly once we resolve a few off-season niggles and the season gets properly underway. As a bove, I think we're better in the depths and grind of winter than we will be in the first month or so, and I don't see any reason we can't put it together more consistently and improve, but I also think that is less likely than a slight regression on the highs of the end of 2023. I'd absolutely take 'consistently decent/borderline finals' over the previous 2 decades, anyway.

Do you think the pies got lucky in many games across the last two seasons?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do you think the pies got lucky in many games across the last two seasons?

Yes, i genuinely do.

Take our two matches against them in 2022. The first, Jack Silvagni had a rushed shot that would have given us the game but missed, then a fairly flagrant free kick to Walsh was ignored (although a low percentage kick after the siren would have been the result). In the second, had Charlie Curnow not choked and rushed his set shot with 10 mins left, we go 5+ goals ahead and it is all over. I don't think either of those matches were in their control and it has been a remarkably lucky run.

Weirdly, in 2022 that had incredible luck then got beaten twice by under a goal.in the finals. Last year, they were pretty average in close games then won 3 straight in the finals. We lost two in the dying seconds to miss finals in 2022, then last year won a couple in the dying seconds to finish top 4. I don't think our team was much different just what goes around tends to come back around later.

Not sure why people are wanting to debate my comments, we’ll see in about 7 weeks.

I’m nowhere near as bullish as many others round these parts, we had significant deficiencies even through our run and I believe we missed a massive opportunity to steal a flag where we were riding a wave even though we had major issues in the game style and execution of game plan.

Our turnover game, aka Ball movement, is still worse than average, nothing has changed in preseason games.

We are going nowhere if it doesn’t improve significantly.

Not sure why people are wanting to debate my comments, we’ll see in about 7 weeks.

I’m nowhere near as bullish as many others round these parts, we had significant deficiencies even through our run and I believe we missed a massive opportunity to steal a flag where we were riding a wave even though we had major issues in the game style and execution of game plan.

Our turnover game, aka Ball movement, is still worse than average, nothing has changed in preseason games.

you do know where you are, right? why wouldn't people with even a small amount of optimism feel the need to debate your comments?

We all know the turnover game is where the game is heading so let’s hope that will be addressed but our weapon is at the coalface/clearances.

What we need is a balance between the two.

Zac/Saad/Boyd will make a huge difference to our style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll let a few rip:
  • We get solidly beaten this week.
  • Danger game vs Richmond, finally we sneak away with an unconvincing win.
  • Weitering and Walsh both return in April and struggle for their first month. This drags the team down a few notches.
  • One of Durdin or Young stands up in place of Weitering and saves us late from an upset loss vs a minnow club.
  • We lose at least 2 (hopefully not more) of the following five games that we should be winning: Richmond twice, Adelaide at home, Bulldogs, Saints.
  • We destroy * just before the winter bye, thus going to the bye 7-6.
  • Game plan shifts to a more attacking style after the bye and we win 7 out of last 10 games to finish 6th with 14 wins.
  • First final is another nail biter and too close to call. Win and we win the following week too. Lose and a long summer of soul searching begins.
  • We cop one soul destroying injury that puts that player out for the season and jeopardises finals, but gives someone a chance to shine and they take it.
  • Hollands brothers both finish top 10 in the B&F. Joined by Cripps, Cerra, Walsh, Weitering, Charlie, TDK, Saad and a dark horse nobody sees coming.
  • Pittonet will toil away manfully for various games but by end of the season will be regularly lining up in the reserves.
  • Harry's form is good early but falls away as he struggles through winter. Then recovers and is dominating by finals.
  • There's hard luck story where someone who has battled away for years showing flashes of promise is injured half the year, plays reserves most of the rest, and is not offered a new contract.

It’s a public forum open for discussion, that’s why.

I don't understand why people are wanting to debate your comments.

☺️

I don't understand why people are wanting to debate your comments.

If anything it solidified my comments, the gap between good and bad is daylight.

I don’t go into the Gameday thread very often, but I’m sure it was all positivity halfway through the second

Extremely happy with the win, but that performance gap has got to close significantly

Are you willing to recognise that these comments are inaccurate?

Taking what Kingy and the other media buffoons/expert analysts prognosticate at face value leads to this all or nothing view of the team and fails to value the many variables that take place during a game.

Our scores from turnover were great last night. We now have developed a of great rebound defenders and play a brutal contested game to win the ball back from congestion.

We move the ball well and can score very quickly.

What your criticism fails to appreciate is that each opponent will have periods of dominance each game and that can determine the outcome of the match. That is the just part of playing in an even competition.

The posters here rebutting your fatalistic view are not in anyway saying we don't have things to improve and work on, but to say we have not improved and have no other strengths other than contested ball winning is plain wrong.

I have all last season, first 2 praccy matches and the first 1/3 of the game last night to fall back on in relation to scores from turnover.

The middle 1/3 of the game was what is needed consistently in games and across entire seasons.

Until it’s shown consistently it’s a mirage, the gap between good and bad is a chasm

If anything it solidified my comments, the gap between good and bad is daylight.

I don’t go into the Gameday thread very often, but I’m sure it was all positivity halfway through the second

Extremely happy with the win, but that performance gap has got to close significantly

It actually was the opposite. We outscored the Lions by 36 points on turnovers on the turnaround, which was what you said we were terrible at.

So once again our one woods are strength on the ball, midfield, twin towers up forward, great users and run from defence. So multiple one woods.

The gameday thread is just an opportunity for people to vent.

Still confident that we will be in crisis by round 6? And then to double down by saying you can't understand why people would argue with you and that last night only solidifies your (incorrect) comments?

Might be better off to stick to your incessant complaints about injuries.

Nah Frizzy, Gameday thread is the equivalent of truth juice that we call alcohol.

You can pretend to be all positive throughout the preseason and during the week but when it comes to the crunch your true thought processes come out in the wash.

You call it venting, I call it truth cleansing

I have all last season, first 2 praccy matches and the first 1/3 of the game last night to fall back on in relation to scores from turnover.

The middle 1/3 of the game was what is needed consistently in games and across entire seasons.

Until it’s shown consistently it’s a mirage, the gap between good and bad is a chasm

Why stop there? You also have the past 25 years of poor footy to back up your claims.

As I suggested before this so called ‘chasm’ you mention fails to consider the opposition being good at football.

There are very few games ever where a team plays all over the opposition all game, what we have shown since the Gold Coast game last year is that this team never gives up and our good and bad are pretty even.

Voss is all about playing at our ‘good’ for longer but it is a work in progress and opposition teams are also out to play their best at the exact same time!!!!!

Nah Frizzy, Gameday thread is the equivalent of truth juice that we call alcohol.

You can pretend to be all positive throughout the preseason and during the week but when it comes to the crunch your true thought processes come out in the wash.

You call it venting, I call it truth cleansing

Who's truth, no one here has a crystal ball

No issue with measured predictions, especially based on balanced analysis, but using history or practice matches isn't really ideal

Poster is getting a lot more air play than deserved. At least some have fessed up to the stupidity of their constant negativity. From here, zero credibility or insight will be a tough gig to wear in a forum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back