Black Ducks Supporters Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmmm may as well relinquish our membership in the WAFL

Why Jack, over 1 little insipid performance? I like to think that 1 team has to at least keep Subi honest and if not us, then who?

A few passengers in league, whilst a few good players ran around in ressies. Daniel O'Reilly was scintillating for ressies today, whilst Wes Lammie played a relatively lone hand in the ruck and 21, according to Peel supporters, was one that turned the tide in Swans favour.

For colts, Bonnet and Pullman in defence, I can't rave enough about. Great pairing and provide great drive. Adam McKinlay was superb, Clint Garlett turned it on in the second half, along with Lance Daly playing a lot further up the ground but his skills are good and everything he does turns out well. Potts in the ruck was also good and John Armstrong? (17) was pretty good, ran himself ragged. Number 13 - Kris? I think, is a very, very good mover but butchered a lot of his disposals. Once he works on his decision making and disposal another Jarrad Blight is on our hands. Numerous times he attacked the ball and took possession and the opposition simply couldn't catch him.

But Swannies... You would know. This year we just cannot lose these sort of games.

If you had of said at start of season with SF (A), S (H), PT (H) 1-2 would have been acceptable, but when you beat Subi you need to ram home that advantage to the competition.

Team was terrible today. Very few good players, for me the only player that kept us in it was Lewis Jetta in the second half.

Spander got found out forward of the ball, we were crushed in clearances with Peel getting more guys to the ball and getting foward of where the ball would be, they ran harder than us and our disposal by foot was below standard.

Ames and Spencer were crushed, Pearce struggled to play the loose man role in defence either being too far forward or too slow to get to position. The mids were well beaten. To be honest given how little they got the forwards were really good.

Peel seemed to control the tempo better. We didn't seem to swith on when they were slowing it up and stopping the short pass, while when they were on the attack we were too slow to move and position ourselves.

Just a terrible performance. Turns next week into a MUST WIN. (I hate saying that at round 4, it sounds lame)

I agree MrCCC, we needed to back up that Subi game, but I am saying don't jump off just because of 1 bad game. Hell, Jack's been a Swans supporter long enough to not jump off after 1 bad year :D, that's how it can go at Swans.

I agree MrCCC, we needed to back up that Subi game, but I am saying don't jump off just because of 1 bad game. Hell, Jack's been a Swans supporter long enough to not jump off after 1 bad year :D, that's how it can go at Swans.

I should have made myself a bit clearer and indicated a bit of tongue in cheek here. One bad game and one bad year I can deal with... losing to the Peel Thunder I cannot.

hey fellas
how was johnnos first game back and how did neil martin go?

Johnno was handy, but like a lot of his team mates faded in and out of the game. Didn't really notice the number 50, but he had a heck of a debut the week before so a quieter one was understandable.

Swannies, Oh i know all about the bad seasons!!! Third generation Swans supporter. My first ever swans match was round 1, 1991, yes the first game after our last premiership!!! Up until last year i could only pretend to dream what success was.

Still my grandfather and mother have told me seasons of only one win, so to have one win at round 3 maybe we should look on the bright side :p.

Jack i agree Peel only used to be fun when we were beating them by 100+. The days when going to the game the most exciting thing was how many goals will Troy Ugle kick today. (In 1997 it was 10, 12 & 8*In just over a quarter before tearing a hamstring, Bernie Naylor's record would have been in serious jeopardy that day*)

As for this coming Monday important to rebound. I think that for all that has been said for our fitness its been the last quarter and red time that has cost us on our two losses, will be interesting to see if Daws has pounded the guys on the track.

I still think we are a month away from peak fitness though. Matt Carr is still struggling to finish games, the young kids are still getting accustomed to the higher level and the ability to find consistency at this level and with Naita to come in it will help influence Spander as i think he began to tire late last week and i don't think will be able to do the rucking by himself all year. But with some added fitness to the late starters, more games for Martin, Lewis and the rest of the younger squad members and the introduction of Naita will see us rise hopefully about midseason. Lets just hope we survive what i think will be the seven team finals log jam. Subi, Swans, Sharks, Souths, West, Peel & Perth.

It's great news for the young fella. I watched a fair bit of training over the pre-season and I said then that I reckon this kid could well be a terrific player for us. I am rapt for him that he has been elevated and will play this weekend! :thumbsu:

He was very good last Friday against the Falcons. Took some courageous marks and looked very composed under pressure.

Just realised we'll have Hansen back. Hansen and Notte up forward with Jetta and Son Son has me salivating.

Lets hope Hansen actually takes a mark this week!!!! :)

He always does at Swans, don't worry. :thumbsu: Although, he'll probably have Dawes on him, who's been very good for EP this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have not had a chance to watch many swans games, but I keep thinking that the Dockers could do with someone like Son Son. How is his progression going?

He's been a bit in and out of games so far but he was very good against the Falcons on Friday night. I think he needs to find just a bit more consistency and experience before hitting the AFL.

His main evasion tactic seems to be to sidestep out then wheel around back inside which he probably won't get away with so much in the AFL. It's also not a great tactic for someone you want delivering to the forwards as it holds up play and creates issues with timing leads.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I being too picky?

27 hitouts to Nicko despite coming off at the 12 minute mark each quarter but playing a little more in the last. Terrific ruckwork. Some of his tapwork is also sublime.

Interesting article in the West today about Twomey, Robinson and Geappen. It's really quite interesting that whilst other sides fall over themselves recruiting big names, former AFL players and higher profile players like Street and Rosa, the Swans go about their business in a more demure fashion. These 3 boys in particular have been excellent - Robbo is in the state squad, Twomey unlucky to miss out and Geappen is developing into one of the leagues better utilities.

Carr and Spaanderman are probably the most recent notable draftees with pedigree but Carr essentially fell in their laps rather then being sought and Spaanderman has been brilliant and loves the club. Worth his weight in gold.

I'd much rather this kind of recruiting then getting sucked into chasing blond pretty-boys or sons of former champions who think they are better then they are.

And yes, I have erased Richards from my memory :eek:

A request to those who attend Swan Districts games or have access to match reports etc.

I had some involvement with Brett Robinson in his early years in Burnie (Tas) and try to follow how he is going and would appreciate regular reports on how he is performing, including where his strengths and weaknesses are.

We did try hard to get him drafted in 2003 and I know there were plenty of draftees who were inferior to Brett.

Anyone information would be appreciated.

This season he is averaging 26.4 disposals and 1.3 goals a game, which includes 2 goals in each of his past 4 games.

He is playing very well and has been rewarded with a spot in the state side.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...8100146&pname=Brett Robinson&news_task=DETAIL

Thanks Underdog.
I am able to get those raw stats, but I am looking for a bit more.
Stats don't really give any idea of game impact.
Even things like disposal efficiency don't give an insight into whether someone creates an opportunity.

There is a difference to running to make position and being used by a team mate or getting in an under to prise the ball out. An efficient disposal could be one that hits a team mate who is then corralled for no team benefit or it could be to space as a team advantage.

When Robbo was playing for the Tassie Devils he was regularly criticised by a local commentator about his kicking having too much air (like Daniel Cross).

Hopefully someone can provide a little player insight.
Thanks for your help.

Thanks Underdog.
I am able to get those raw stats, but I am looking for a bit more.
Stats don't really give any idea of game impact.
Even things like disposal efficiency don't give an insight into whether someone creates an opportunity.

There is a difference to running to make position and being used by a team mate or getting in an under to prise the ball out. An efficient disposal could be one that hits a team mate who is then corralled for no team benefit or it could be to space as a team advantage.

When Robbo was playing for the Tassie Devils he was regularly criticised by a local commentator about his kicking having too much air (like Daniel Cross).

Hopefully someone can provide a little player insight.
Thanks for your help.

Bulldog, he's a very hard runner to position and the last 4-5 weeks his form has hit it's peak. Prior to that he had been named in the state squad, but I was questioning why, because I didn't see him doing a lot.

Now that his form's up he is running harder, hits the packs hard and loves to finish off, in fact his finishing off on the run is probably the best we have in our team at the moment. His footskills to the forwards is also pretty good, don't see too much of the up and under kicks you're saying he was criticised for. Rumours were around last year that the Eagles were actually looking at him and his mate Twomey as mature age recruits.

He is a good little rover, good speed but he doesn't mind getting his hands dirty under the packs either. Just runs all day between the back half and forwards, links really well but has become more attacking in the past few weeks.

Bulldog, he's a very hard runner to position and the last 4-5 weeks his form has hit it's peak. Prior to that he had been named in the state squad, but I was questioning why, because I didn't see him doing a lot.

Now that his form's up he is running harder, hits the packs hard and loves to finish off, in fact his finishing off on the run is probably the best we have in our team at the moment. His footskills to the forwards is also pretty good, don't see too much of the up and under kicks you're saying he was criticised for. Rumours were around last year that the Eagles were actually looking at him and his mate Twomey as mature age recruits.

He is a good little rover, good speed but he doesn't mind getting his hands dirty under the packs either. Just runs all day between the back half and forwards, links really well but has become more attacking in the past few weeks.

Thanks Swannies.
That is the sort of form I expected of him. I knew his athletic background and his capacity to run would be difficult to beat with good pace and great endurance.

In the year he was in the draft mix he had completed a beep test that was equal to McVeigh's draft camp record of a couple of years earlier.

The criticism of his disposal was considered by me and others as unwarranted, but probably cost him his chance.

I would consider him still a good mature age chance, except the clubs don't like them preferring kids who may never be anything. He will be 24 in December, so next years weakened draft is probably his only hope of actually getting on a list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back