Black Diamond AFL - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
heard from one umpire from Saturdays twilight game that it was very hard to see on the outer flanks at No.1 ... what a surprise ... wonder what bateau bay was like ... the lights dont look to robust from what I can see

The lights at bateau are easily the best in the league...

Yea John price is still $10 absolute rort really...

I actually quite enjoyed the 4:15pm ish start, one reason is I had to work till 2pm that day and was able to play even though we went down...and from chatting to the other boys they enjoyed it too

From what I have heard the footy was great on the weekend, the standard and intensity went up a cog and the good players performed. Only complaint I have heard from up here is that the $10 entry fee still is in effect. When you consider NEAFL semis are $7 to get into and you have AFL clubs involved there it is way too steep for Black Diamond footy. Drop it to $5 and youll make it more attractive for people to come and watch, then make the $5 you miss out on at the gate back through the canteen and bar.
Deitzy, I was at the NEAFL semi on Saturday and I can tell you that it was free to get in. But dropping the price from $10 > $5 > zippo made no difference - at the opening bounce, I counted 34 people in the BISP grandstand and 7 sitting on the grass at the southern side of the stand. (Remember that the ground holds 10,000.)
Consensus is that when the WAGs and mums and dads turned up that the crowd swelled to about 100. The atmos reminded me of standing at a golfing tournament when a player holes in....polite applause from a few.

Sounds like a $10 investment to get into the BD finals last weekend would have been a lot better value for money, and more people took the BDAFL option.

Deitzy, I was at the NEAFL semi on Saturday and I can tell you that it was free to get in. But dropping the price from $10 > $5 > zippo made no difference - at the opening bounce, I counted 34 people in the BISP grandstand and 7 sitting on the grass at the southern side of the stand. (Remember that the ground holds 10,000.)
Consensus is that when the WAGs and mums and dads turned up that the crowd swelled to about 100. The atmos reminded me of standing at a golfing tournament when a player holes in....polite applause from a few.

Sounds like a $10 investment to get into the BD finals last weekend would have been a lot better value for money, and more people took the BDAFL option.

NEAFL up here in Darwin charge $10 for every game but it is well worth it. Will be down in Newy for the BDAFL grand final day so looking forward to a good day of footy.

Fair point you raise mate. Would have thought that there would have been alot more there if it was held as a curtain raiser or at Ainslie as opposed to holding it out at Blacktown on a Saturday morning before a huge Swans game. Conversely in Qld there would have been 800 at the Lions v Southport game and close to 2000 at the Redland v Suns game. Was an unbelievable atmosphere with the Auskickers at Half time etc which could be a great way to introduce more families to the senior footy comp in the Hunter/Central Coast region.

I reckon they'll pack Palmerston out this week for the Lions v NT game. Could charge 30 a ticket up there this week and they'll still pull a crowd! I think with the new division format there will be more clubs represented on GF day which ultimately will lead to more people coming in on that day. Would be great if a heap stayed around to watch the main game which unfortunately hasn't always been the case for whatever reason.

It is the biggest weeks of the footy season so hopefully they pull crowds, sell plenty of beer and pies and showcase some good footy. In good conditions it's always a good day of footy at No1

"On the City getting a home final who cares. There are only about 3 grounds you can play finals at in the comp anyway so there isnt anything you can do about it. The only way around it is to play all the finals at Bateau Bay, but I dont think that is feasible. The grand final needs to stay at No 1 without doubt."

Agree with previous posters.
Its No 1 all the way and too be honest Grand Finals are normally won with hunger, not the playing field or the lighting.

Interstate players marvelled about No1 when they played in the area in years gone past, so to even be talking about it is a non issue.

The void in ground quality between No1 and the others is immeasureable. Couldn't play it anywhere else, akin to playing the AFL gf at the Whitten Oval.

"On the City getting a home final who cares. There are only about 3 grounds you can play finals at in the comp anyway so there isnt anything you can do about it. The only way around it is to play all the finals at Bateau Bay, but I dont think that is feasible. The grand final needs to stay at No 1 without doubt."

Agree with previous posters.
Its No 1 all the way and too be honest Grand Finals are normally won with hunger, not the playing field or the lighting.

Interstate players marvelled about No1 when they played in the area in years gone past, so to even be talking about it is a non issue.

The void in ground quality between No1 and the others is immeasureable. Couldn't play it anywhere else, akin to playing the AFL gf at the Whitten Oval.

Not suggesting the venue be changed just the time slot ... the best game of the year deserves to be played at the premium time slot of 2pm ...

Not suggesting the venue be changed just the time slot ... the best game of the year deserves to be played at the premium time slot of 2pm ...

Interesting that 2 of 3 of the remaining Premier Division coaches were quoted in Mondays Herald as being in favour of a 2pm kickoff but one remains quiet. With the Large number of bulbs blown at No1, I wonder if they meet the standard required for night time football or if this has even been checked???

Think everyone should concentrate on footy instead of minor problems now. Reminder we are in finals and some good footy will and has been played, I played at no. 1 under the lights and it didn't affect the game at all. Congratulations most go to terrigal as they moved the ball well with quality skills. Was a well played game and next week and gf will surely be crackers as well no matter who plays. Should be very interesting as any team could win and will thoroughly deserve it when they do.

Think everyone should concentrate on footy instead of minor problems now. Reminder we are in finals and some good footy will and has been played, I played at no. 1 under the lights and it didn't affect the game at all. Congratulations most go to terrigal as they moved the ball well with quality skills. Was a well played game and next week and gf will surely be crackers as well no matter who plays. Should be very interesting as any team could win and will thoroughly deserve it when they do.

I agree, there was good footy played last weekend (I didnt see any of Sunday's games though). I know the league isnt run so I can take photos, thats why I was asking if anyone had heard from the players about playing under the lights. If the players thinks its fine, then I dont have a problem. It just means I will take photos of the lower grades, and just watch the Premier Division.

So what are people's thoughts about this Saturday ? Does Cardiff have a chance in the main game ? Personally I would love to see them get up (I dont have anything against City, just that I dont think its good for a comp to have the one team some dominant for so many years. If any other team had one four on the trot I would be barracking for the opposition then as well)

So who won the awards last night? Were the counts close or were there any big winners?
Premier Division - Anthony Stewart (City)
1st Division - Blake Erikson (Nelson Bay)
2nd Division - Wade Beard (Maitland)
U18s - Can remember as they stuffed it up and awarded it to the wrong bloke. The winner was from Terrigal

Overall a good meal, free beer was nice, but the night wasnt all that well organised, like i mentioned, the U18s B&F was stuffed up, then the Premier Division votes were lost and the GM was on his laptop outside re-doing the count.

Credit to the BDAFL though, its a big event to organise and overall, despite the errors, i had a good time.

Premier Division - Anthony Stewart (City)
1st Division - Blake Erikson (Nelson Bay)
2nd Division - Wade Beard (Maitland)
U18s - Can remember as they stuffed it up and awarded it to the wrong bloke. The winner was from Terrigal

Overall a good meal, free beer was nice, but the night wasnt all that well organised, like i mentioned, the U18s B&F was stuffed up, then the Premier Division votes were lost and the GM was on his laptop outside re-doing the count.

Credit to the BDAFL though, its a big event to organise and overall, despite the errors, i had a good time.

They awarded the medal to the wrong bloke? How the bloody hell does that happen! Wowee. Feel sorry for the kid who was wrongly called up. Was the chick off Australias Next Top Model the host? Also saw the Young Footballer of the Year trophy was won by a Cardiff player, however the trophy had his club as Terrigal-Avoca! Can imagine how well that would have went over too!

It is a big night to organize, so credit must be given to Garry Burkinshaw and Scott Ledwidge for all their efforts in the past as the nights seemed to run pretty well back then with the things they could control!

Big day of footy tomorrow with no next week for the losing sides.

Tips for the games are-
Premier- City by 15 points. Just think they will have the edge at the end of the game. Wouldnt be surprised if Cardiff got up but.

1st Div- Nelson Bay by 8 goals- Doesnt matter who wins this one as they are only playing for second anyway, but Nelson Bay will be too good tomorrow.

2nd Div- Warners Bay by 10 points. Dont know much about the Killarney side but know Warners Bay are a pretty experienced group which might get them over the line in a close one. Looks like Leigh Anderson and Mick Solomons are a chance of kicking the ton tomorrow. Hopefully Harro has put on some security in case we see the crowd storm the field if they achieve the feat!

Under 18s- Nelson Bay by 4 goals. Terrigal have been the best team all year but think that Nelson Bay have a bit more x-factor in their side which might get them over the line.

Good luck to all teams and hope its the best day of footy for the year yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three quarter time prem div: Cardiff are up apparently by 40 points.
First div: nelson bay won
Second div: warners bay won
Under 18 : wasn't updated. Will try to put scores up tonight if i get them.

Gsj Newcastle Grand Finals at Number One tomorrow.

Today's Prelim Final Results.

Premier Division
Cardiff 13.11.89 d Newcastle City 8.8.56

First Division
Nelson Bay 14.14.98 d Wyong Lakes 6.11.47

Second Division
Warners Bay 11.7.73 d Killarney Vale 3.8.26

Under 18
Terrigal Avoca 7.12.54 d Nelson Bay 5.8.38

Grand Finals:
Prem - Terrigal vs Cardiff
First Div - Singleton vs Nelson Bay
Second Div - Maitland vs Warners Bay
Under 18 - Warners Bay vs Terrigal

Good Luck to all.

First time since 2005 no City team in Grand Finals?

Today's Prelim Final Results.

Premier Division
Cardiff 13.11.89 d Newcastle City 8.8.56

First Division
Nelson Bay 14.14.98 d Wyong Lakes 6.11.47

Second Division
Warners Bay 11.7.73 d Killarney Vale 3.8.26

Under 18
Terrigal Avoca 7.12.54 d Nelson Bay 5.8.38

Grand Finals:
Prem - Terrigal vs Cardiff
First Div - Singleton vs Nelson Bay
Second Div - Maitland vs Warners Bay
Under 18 - Warners Bay vs Terrigal

Good Luck to all.

First time since 2005 no City team in Grand Finals?

Tips for Saturdays Grand Finals ...

U18 - Extra time in this one - then Terrigal by 12
Div 2 -Maitland by 30
Div 1 -Singo by 25
Premier - Cardiff by 12

Should be 4 very good games to watch ... Good luck to all clubs, players, and supporters

Div 2 -Maitland by 30
Div 1 -Singo by 25
Premier - Cardiff by 12

Should be 4 very good games to watch ... Good luck to all clubs, players, and supporters

Yes it should be a great day. 4 good games and it looks like the weather gods are smiling as well.

There was some talk that both coaches from the Premier clubs were writing to the BDAFL asking for the game to be moved back to the 2pm time slot? Any news on that?

Have the BDAFL announced who the umpires are for the games? A mate of mine from Nelson Bay was saying that they have had this one umpire during the Div 1 finals and he, to quote "was woeful". Said the club was hoping he was not doing the GF.

Div 2 -Maitland by 30
Div 1 -Singo by 25
Premier - Cardiff by 12

Here are the tips this weekend. Lets see if I can do better than the miles off I was last week.

U/18s- Warners Bay to go back to back and win by 20 points. Will be a close one all day though. Be interesting to see if Neaves takes the field for the Panthers or if the senior grand final is quite rightly given priority.Tip for the medal is Spinks from Warners Bay. Big day for both clubs and should see plenty of supporters there early hopefully.

2nd Div- Warners Bay by 10 points. Might just have a few old heads get them over the line in a close one. Maitland have a few under injury clouds from what I hear on the grapevine too. Medal to go to the evergreen Steve May if the doggies win. If they dont win get on Beard to kick 10 and win the medal for Maitland.

1st div- Would love to see Nelson Bay get a win up, but will be no match for Singleton who have been on a mission this year after being sent back from the senior comp. Singleton by 8 goals with Alex Mitchell BOG.

Premier div- Probably a fair bit more interest in this years game with all due respect to City, and it should be a cracker with both sides trying to get that win. Will be interesting to see if many players who have been around the league for a long time hang the boots up after this one if they get the win. For what its worth I will go Terrigal in a toss of the coin by 3 points, going to get on James Polglase for BOG.

Also just wanted to say it is great that the league showed a bit of initiative with the time-on for the last 5 minutes of the quarters only. It might be an idea to trial it in PD over the next 12 months and see what effect it has on the scorelines blowing out. From experience most games between top and bottom sides really blow out from the 20 minute mark of quarters so might be worth a crack to keep games a bit closer.

Good luck to all involved on the weekend and may the Mad Mondays stay off the front page!

Yes it should be a great day. 4 good games and it looks like the weather gods are smiling as well.

There was some talk that both coaches from the Premier clubs were writing to the BDAFL asking for the game to be moved back to the 2pm time slot? Any news on that?

Have the BDAFL announced who the umpires are for the games? A mate of mine from Nelson Bay was saying that they have had this one umpire during the Div 1 finals and he, to quote "was woeful". Said the club was hoping he was not doing the GF.

I think there is more of a chance of us playing in a snowstorm on Saturday than the schedule changing unfortunately Tardus! There is no way the board of the Black Diamond Blues will change their minds on anything that doesn't suit their own agenda. Just a shame for them that their idea of playing under their own training lights backfired so spectacularly!

On the umpires, the Marlins have had the same team of 3 for both their finals thus far. If I was a betting man, the "woeful" umpire to which you refer is the same one that has been barred from doing Warners Bay games, so if he gets a go at all, it won't be in premier, as you're right, he is woeful, with woeful interpersonal skills and an arrogance that makes him an altogether unpleasant person to deal with. So much so, that his colleagues within the association can't stand him.

On last weeks game, I could not believe that with an emergency umpire watching the back play, that the Blues number 11 did not get reported. He is an absolute thug of a footballer. He took out the long haired on baller from Cardiff with a sickening elbow, was throwing punches all game, and even kneed a Cardiff player in the head less than 10 metres from where the emergency umpire was seated, in plain view of the sideline (read:the emergency umpire in question). The Cardiff supporters were rightly calling him a dog, because he is. From where I was sitting in the stand, it appeared officials, instead of doing the right thing and reporting the thug, censured Cardiff fans for their disapproval at the sickening acts! From my perspective, that goon should be playing Rugby League, where thuggery is applauded, not our great game of skill and endurance.

As for Grand Final Day, my predictions:
18's- Warners Bay by 15
Pub Div- Maitland by 60+
Singo Div- Singo by 80+
First Grade- Cardiff by 20 on Sunday after the lights fail and thy can't get the game in :D

UMPIRES FOR BDAFL GRAND FINALS:

Premier: Roger Crowhurst, Aden Kittel, Jackson Stokes
Division 1: Darrel Luck, Jason Crookall, Troy Edwards
Division 2: Richard Brasier, Lee Gardner, Roger Stokes
Under 18: Cameron Fox, Lachlan Head, Joshua Duffy-Sykes

Don't like to make predictions but hopefully all the GF's are close and there are no incidents. I'm actually looking forward to watching a Premier Division match.

UMPIRES FOR BDAFL GRAND FINALS:

Premier: Roger Crowhurst, Aden Kittel, Jackson Stokes
Division 1: Darrel Luck, Jason Crookall, Troy Edwards
Division 2: Richard Brasier, Lee Gardner, Roger Stokes
Under 18: Cameron Fox, Lachlan Head, Joshua Duffy-Sykes

Don't like to make predictions but hopefully all the GF's are close and there are no incidents. I'm actually looking forward to watching a Premier Division match.

Hey Borgy, you left out the goal umpires !!! Big Ron and Big Roy will be looking for you, you know they think the Goalies are the most important guys out there :)

On a serious note, I know there has been criticism of the umpires over the year, but everyone should remember that although they may make the odd mistake or two, they are no worse in that respect than most of the players. They are out there doing there best and should be shown some respect for doing a difficult job (not that I dont love it when I can show them a photo proving they got a call wrong, but more often then not the photos prove that they actually got the call right, despite what the crowd thinks)

BDAFL: BDAFL Grand Final Results

Premier Division
Terrigal Avoca 10.8.68 d Cardiff 7.12.54
BOG Jayson Van Dam

First Division
Singleton 14.13.97 d Nelson Bay 8.10.58
BOG Tomas Colleary

Second Division
Warners Bay 8.14.62 d Maitland 8.1.49
BOG Ben Street

Under 18
Warners Bay 8.13.61 d Terrigal Avoca 2.17.39
BOG Matt Spinks

So another year has been and gone with results going the way most people thought. Terrigal had the best game plan and structure of any Premier div team this year and it showed again last Saturday.

Bishop must be laughing out loud the way he out coached the dynamic duo.

It will be interesting to see who hangs up the boots at City, Cardiff and Terrigal. It could leave the competition with a very big hole. Not sure the region has the talent to fill 5 or 6 losses to each team. It could be a very different competition next season.

Whilst people complained about the four game format and timings, I thought it proved to be very successful and I enjoyed the ability to watch four games at one venue back to back concluding with the feature Premier Div match - WELL DONE

So another year has been and gone with results going the way most people thought. Terrigal had the best game plan and structure of any Premier div team this year and it showed again last Saturday.

Bishop must be laughing out loud the way he out coached the dynamic duo.

It will be interesting to see who hangs up the boots at City, Cardiff and Terrigal. It could leave the competition with a very big hole. Not sure the region has the talent to fill 5 or 6 losses to each team. It could be a very different competition next season.

Whilst people complained about the four game format and timings, I thought it proved to be very successful and I enjoyed the ability to watch four games at one venue back to back concluding with the feature Premier Div match - WELL DONE

Well done to all the premiers for 2012!! Yeah there has been some talk of players hanging up the boots,but il guess we have to wait and see to confirm(if they do it may just mean the bottom 3 prem div teams bridge the gap on the big 3,not entirely bad for the comp but agree standard will obviously drop!!)

Next year brings questions on where the comp is heading? Will we have promotion/relegation etc or do clubs nominate for grades.I'm assuming all prem div clubs will stay but surely Singleton with an undefeated year should be allowed to step up?

As for 4 games, as far as I know that wont happen again with the joke 18's comp surely gone!! and the ages tweaked for juniors so they go to 17's,after that they play seniors.

Will Warners/Maitland step up a grade? and will clubs nominate more/less teams than they fielded this year ie Nelsons/Wyong 2nd side,City keep/drop 3rd team?(any more new clubs lol as I was shot down this time last year for stating Maitland would join,look what happened!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back