List Bizarre/unusual reasons for cancelled/suspended/abandoned games

Remove this Banner Ad

Match between Caramut and Lismore/Derrinallum was abandoned after a Caramut player in the reserves suffered a head injury and a medical helicopter was used to get him to hospital. The copter landed on the ground during the first quarter of the seniors with Lismore leading 14 to 6.

Your kidding haha. Surely both teams would have had at least 10 practice balls each. Or they could have used the ressies game ball or something

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Footballs were not as plentiful in the pre-WWII era and they were used until they could be used no more. Here is an article from a book I wrote:

A RIGHT BALLS-UP …

The Moora Football Association match between Coomberdale and Rovers on July 11, 1920 at the Koondoroo ground was quite rightly described as ‘a fiasco’ in The Moora Herald and Midland District Advocate‘s match report.

Rovers was the designated home team for the match despite playing at Coomberdale’s secondary venue but nobody from Rovers brought a football with them and the Coomberdale team didn’t bring one either. A Mr Ashby volunteered to ‘run the gauntlet along the awful road to Coomberdale’ to obtain the school’s football.

He returned with a ball but it had a leak in it, which was rectified by the application of chewing gum to the leak. This worked wonders until about five minutes before the final bell when ‘Walker, in booting the ball struck Ferguson in the face’. The ball exploded as
a result and the match couldn’t be finished.

Rovers led 1.10 to 0.3 at the time but Coomberdale’s delegates argued at the next MFA meeting that their team may have still won the match. The clubs eventually agreed and the match was declared a draw.

In my research of a book on football in WA between 1885-1945, I found a number of instances in the pre-WWI era where matches were conceded by a team at halftime or during the match due to bad weather.

A club even won a premiership that way. In the Pingelly Football Association, the 1923 Final on September 16 saw Popanyinning concede to Pingelly during the final quarter on account of rain. Pingelly led 4.15.39 to 0.0.0 at the time.

4/10/1968 Beverley Times
Final abandoned after hailstorm

A prolonged and extremely heavy hailstorm forced the Central Great Southern League football grand final to be abandoned at half time at Katanning on 22nd. September, and injured some of the players.

Kojonup's captain/coach, Graham Zilko, was taken to Hospital suffering from exposure and exhaustion and two other players collapsed in the dressing rooms afterwards. All three suffered hail bruises. Zilko was treated at the Hospital and allowed to leave.

Wanderers capt./coach, Con Regan said: "It was the most remarkable thing I have ever seen. The whole oval was a sheet of ice and hail. In some places we were 3 inches deep in ice. I didn't mind abandoning the game as I think if we hadn't Kojonup would have had to forfeit - they had three out at half time and they were collapsing."

Said Kojonup committeeman Alex Brown "They should have been skiing instead of playing football. Occasions when football has been abandoned because of inclement weather are very rare and this is indicative of the severity of conditions.

During the hailstorm, which lasted throughout the two quarters of football, players sat and tried to protect their legs with their jumpers while protecting their head with their hands.

Afterwards schoolboys were making ice-balls and throwing them at one another.

The score at the time of the abandonment was Kojonup 1.0.6 to Wanderers 0.5.5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back