Biggest finals upset?

Remove this Banner Ad

Port beating Brisbane in 2004 wasn't much of an upset, Brisbane's run was going to end sooner or later.
The Prelims were certainly interesting. Had Geelong done their job properly in the Prelim then we would have at Port vs Geelong GF in 2004. Or even St Kilda vs Geelong, or St Kilda vs Brisbane. Port were always going to win in 2004.

The 2005 SF (Sydney vs Geelong) was certainly the 2nd best match that year, and the GF was clearly the best GF for a long time. So was the year after. Since then, bar the 2010 draw, they have been blowouts by 5-6 goals or more.

Port beating Brisbane in 2004 wasn't much of an upset, Brisbane's run was going to end sooner or later.
The Prelims were certainly interesting. Had Geelong done their job properly in the Prelim then we would have at Port vs Geelong GF in 2004. Or even St Kilda vs Geelong, or St Kilda vs Brisbane. Port were always going to win in 2004.

The 2005 SF (Sydney vs Geelong) was certainly the 2nd best match that year, and the GF was clearly the best GF for a long time. So was the year after. Since then, bar the 2010 draw, they have been blowouts by 5-6 goals or more.

So you're saying that apart from the 2005 and 2006 Grand Finals that were decided by a kick and excluding the drawn 2010 Grand Final they've all been 5+ goals or more blowouts... though you seem to have forgotten that the 2008 and 2009 Grand Finals were decided by less than 5 goals. And the 2011 Grand Final was closely contested for the first 3 quarters.

In fact what you are really saying is that from 2005 onwards, only the 2007 Grand Final has been a blowout unless you include the 2010 Grand Final Replay...

Adelaide def Hawthorn 1993
Adelaide def Western Bulldogs 1997
Essendon def Carlton 1999
Sydney def Port Adelaide 2003
Fremantle def Geelong 2012

They were never going to beat brisbane there, and the bookies had port at nearly $5 with brisbane at $1.50 i think

What do you mean "they were never going to beat Brisbane there?"

Port did beat Brisbane in the 2004 GF.

They were never going to beat brisbane there, and the bookies had port at nearly $5 with brisbane at $1.50 i think
We had it over you all those years, the Ono thing holding us back was the first final.

I had no doubt when we made the GF that we would win.

So you're saying that apart from the 2005 and 2006 Grand Finals that were decided by a kick and excluding the drawn 2010 Grand Final they've all been 5+ goals or more blowouts... though you seem to have forgotten that the 2008 and 2009 Grand Finals were decided by less than 5 goals. And the 2011 Grand Final was closely contested for the first 3 quarters.

In fact what you are really saying is that from 2005 onwards, only the 2007 Grand Final has been a blowout unless you include the 2010 Grand Final Replay...

I stand corrected, I totally forgot about 2009....although maybe there is a reason (I'm a Saints fan....enough said).

2009 was always going to close as well, a Saints victory would not have been an upset (although the QF the following year more or less was), and Geelong ending up with the flag that year (2009) wasn't exactly an upset either considering they were expected to bounce back from the "shock" 2008 loss to the Hawks.

2010, the draw was an upset in itself!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the biggest finals upsets you can think of?

Tonight's win by Freo would be right up there along with the 99 prelim between Carlton & Essendon.

Common perception yes, in reality no. Geelong finished 6th, not 1st or 2nd, and Fremantle finished 8th. Plus they'd beaten Geelong the only time they played this year. Sadly, few bothered to remember that or take any notice. Including apparently Geelong.

Melbourne beating Carlton in '94 was pretty big, 2nd Vs 7th.
sorry to rub it in, FdeB, but the Cats' win over the Blues the week after was a big upset too. IIRC Couch, Bairstow, Hocking and Mansfield all late withdrawals. I remember hearing this sitting in the stands and my heart sank, thinking we were no chance. Then Pickering played a blinder, along with others including Aaron Lord in only his second (I think) game.

sorry to rub it in, FdeB, but the Cats' win over the Blues the week after was a big upset too. IIRC Couch, Bairstow, Hocking and Mansfield all late withdrawals. I remember hearing this sitting in the stands and my heart sank, thinking we were no chance. Then Pickering played a blinder, along with others including Aaron Lord in only his second (I think) game.

It probably was a worse loss but I had a sinking feeling about that campaign after the previous week. Five goals up against an inferior opponent and losing was dismal.

We also lost the last H&A game to Essendon which cost us top spot, so our form was poor.

I'm really surprised the 1998 Grand Final hasn't cracked a mention yet.

In anyone's language, that was a huge upset.

Yes and no, Crows won it the year before so I don't think it was a big a surprise as it could have been.

I think 1997 would have been more of an upset considering the Saints were in front at the last change.

Yes and no, Crows won it the year before so I don't think it was a big a surprise as it could have been.

I think 1997 would have been more of an upset considering the Saints were in front at the last change.

Adelaide led by ten points at three quarter time, 77-67. The Saints did lead at half time, though.

1997 was an upset, but not a huge one. 1998 was a huge upset whichever way you look at it.

I was not overly surprised by Freo winning TBH. Before you ask how much money I put on them, I am not a betting person.

98 GF by the Crows is my favourite (obviously). Many outside SA were predicting the biggest GF defeat ever.

1994. Either a qualifying final or first semi but Geelong were playing Carlton at Waverly and had Bairstow, Hocking and Couch withdraw before the game. For those of you in diapers at the time, thats equivalent to the pies going into a game sans Pendles, Swan and Beames. Carlton were red hot favorites but Aaron Lord played the game of his career and the cats romped it in.

Lots of great games, except for the 2005 GF, which is the worst GF I've ever seen, taking the mantle off the 1990 match...10 minutes of close footy with the flag on the line doesn't make up for the substandard pressureless mistake riddled joke of a supposed title bout, which was not only played by two teams who would have been slaughtered by any of the premiers for years either side of 2005 if a time machine was real and not just a series of abstract drawings in my study, but also erased by Channel 10 because they already had enough brain dead tv in the form of Big Brother...

Essendon v Carlton in 1999 was the biggest mismatch ever, between a team who'd been smashed in week 1 and only got to the PF due to McIntyre quirks and the robbing of West Coast of a deserved home final under that MCC deal, v the team who was about to become the best single season exponent of all time to that point in 2000...seriously, you need to go back to 1900, and the famous Melbourne v Fitzroy matchup where the 6th place Dees knocked all conquering Fitzroy and caused the shredding of many banners which already had Fitzroy 1900 Premiers plastered all over them...maybe 1916 as well, where the Lions won the spoon and the flag in the same season...

The 2008 GF wasn't that big an upset...I watched the R17 match thinking we could take these guys in a rematch, and I could show some quite interesting stats showing the extraordinarily fortuitous run an already great side was able to exploit over two years to that point...not taking anything away from the Cats, but 2011 was their best flag, tough as it could get...1998 was a game NM should have won - in the modern era, no top side can dominate another for the full 120 minutes...if you kick 9 straight points and end up 20 points in front at half time instead of 50, you've got to expect that a guru like Blight will think of a way to kick your arse...but throughout 1998, Adelaide did play a lot of good footy...

Those 1994 losses by Carlton were both inexplicable...Melbourne did have a pretty good team, but Geelong went in severely understrength...you'd think Carlton spat the *** out and did one hell of a preseason in retaliation, if 1995 is any indication...

Last Saturday? Upset sure, but Freo has been worrying the Cats a lot lately, and if they get through to the PF I'm worried they could cause our backs a few problems...

Essendon were never going to win the 1986 flag...they were lucky to make the five, and were far too inconsistent to worry Carlton and Hawthorn...

Fitzroy's giant killing run in 1986.

Stopped Essendon winning 3 flags in a row thanks to Mick Conlan and the rain at Waverley.

Smashed Sydney at the MCG.

Not bad from 5th.

Fitzroy 13.16.94
Sydney 13.11.89

Hardly a smashing, mate.

A very praise-worthy run by the Lions though, no doubt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back