BigFooty Official Big Footy Phantom PSD and Rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Leyendekkers from the reports wanted to stay in the country and if I am not mistaken, it was something to do with his job as well. He would play against the best Peel defenders and would beat them up forward in practice matches.

He loved his first game, agreed to play a second game. Peel lost their main ruck options and they instantly promoted Leyendekkers to the league team. I've heard that Essendon may be interested in him, but I would not be shocked if he is taken early in the rookie draft.

Last pick of the draft...

Pick #108 Geelong - Cameron Symonds (201cm ruckman - East Fremantle)

This isn't a great draft for ruckmen, but Symonds has shown enough to suggest he could be a decent player. 19 year old who played the season in the Colts, and dominated the hitouts. He moves well and hits hard for someone his size, still inconsistent but hit impact around the ground improved as the year went on. The simple fact that he is over 200cm as opposed to most of the 'ruckmen' available is a big advantage for him.

All the picks by club...

GWS
Sam Frost
John McCarthy
Gavin Urquhart
Kyal Horsley
Andrew Boseley
Zyrus Manson
Jack Charleston
Danny Butcher
Nick Murphy
Lewis Hender
Lin Jong

Gold Coast
Shane Nelson
Justin Clarke
Damian Mascitti
Xavier Richards
Damien Volta
Sam Milne
Josh Gregg

Port Adelaide
Lee Spurr
Marley Williams
Matt Jacquier
Ben Hansen
Ben Gazzola
Thomas Dunne
Ross Tungatulum

Brisbane
Julian Dobosz
Michael Bussey
Richard Newell
Mitch Brewer
Kallan Geary
Gavin Crose

Adelaide
Josh Waldhuter
Jack Frost
Darren Pfeiffer
Tim Totevski
Sam Chritchley
Jarrad Dalton

Melbourne
Tom Sundberg
Courtney Hylton
Lachlan Fairley
Harry Cunningham
Michael Mascoulis
Fletcher Roberts

Richmond
Jack Crisp
Daniel Garside
Jarrod Harding
Willie Wheeler
Mat Suckling

Fremantle
Zac Dawson
Gibson Turner
Jackson Coleman
Dylan Gabron-Uhe
Dylan Orval
Drew Gallard
Travis Tuck

Western Bulldogs
Myles Bolger
Jye Bolton
Michael Florio
Marcus Darmody
Rhys Waters
Hugh Sandilands

North Melbourne
Max Duffy
Jordan Staley
Jordan Wilson
Michael Musicka
Taite Silverlock

Essendon
Lachie Dalgleish
Mark Hutchings
Sam Michael
Hayden Hector
Anthony Long
Ned Fallon

St Kilda
Tom Lee
Jai Sheahan
Louis Eggar
Brayden O'Hara
Simon Tunbridge
Mitch Leyendekkers

Sydney
Brett O'Hanlon
Darren Minchington
Frazer Dale
Campbell Heath
Leif Cope
Piva Wright

Carlton
Steven Verrier
Daniel Joseph
Chad Sandilands
Matthew Lodge (NSW)

West Coast
Alroy Gilligan
Seb Purcell
Haydn Busher
Damian Hayward

Hawthorn
Brody Mihocek
Sam Gordon
John McKenzie
Jordan Jones
Tom Collier
Jack Bradshaw

Collingwood
Haiden Schloithe
Ben Brown
Cam Eardley
Cameron Valentine
Caolan Mooney (Ireland)
Michael Hartley (NSW)

Geelong
Ben Darrou
Alex Greenwood
Cam Shenton
Simon Deery
Max Warren
Cameron Symonds

Sheedy says on the AFL website that GWS will take one or two picks in the PSD.Thing is can you always believe Sheeds??I don't think so!

Pick # 102. St Kilda. Mitchell Leyendekkers. Peel. Ruckman. 05.10.92

This kid is a smokie that I believe someone has been trying to hide or / at the very least give minimal exposure too. He has only played two WAFL games 1 Colts in round 22 : Was named in Peel's best where he had 9 disposals, 29 ruck knocks and slid forward to kick 2 goals. The following week in round 23 he made his League debut had 10 possessions and 15 ruck knocks.

Then he vanished off the scene as hastily as he had appeared.

Playing the two games in the WAFL he therefore became eligable to nominate for the 2011 draft. Prior to that he was playing in the country for Harvey Brunswick.

I have not seen him play as I missed his debut against Claremont. He has been described to me as a powerful young kid around the 200 cm range and in the mid 90 kg mark. Good ruckman that can take a strong overhead mark , also a capable goal scorer. His appearances were seemingly overlooked as he came on the scene as the same time as Waylon Manson, who captured all the attention.

It may be that I have misread this entirley, however it has all the indicators of a player that a Club has tried to slip under the radar.

Foot note : I am not suggesting that the Club is St Kilda, rather just wanting to get his name out there as the tale of skullduggery is there.

Definitely sounds like someone is trying to hide him, that or he genuinely doesn't like the city. I have him listed as 196cm / 92kg but can't vouch for the accuracy of those figures.

Alroy Gilligan
Seb Purcell
Haydn Busher
Damian Hayward
dont know much about our picks but they do seem to fill some needs,a crumbing forward,project ruckman and another KPP.
wouldnt have been the guys i would have chosen but you cant get everything you want.
well done guys

Damian Hayward is not draftable on 2011 form, spent most of the year in the reserves. Besides that a good effort.

Pick 92: Gold Coast Suns - Joshua Gregg

Height: 176cm
Weight: 70kg
Club: North Adelaide/PAC

Josh is an inside/outside midfielder who has spent the year playing mostly school footy for the year. He has never fully committed to AFL and spent most of his time practicing and playing tennis (top 500 player in the world), yet recently has stated he wants to play AFL. Josh was in the squad for the SA U18 team yet did not get a game which was disappointing as I would have liked to see how he would have played. As said before he has played mostly for his school, Prince Alfred College, and captained them. From all reports he played very well, and won the Grand Final for them with a dominant performance especially in the last quarter.

As far as how he plays Josh is a midfielder first and foremost, he is good on the inside and finds the ball well round the ground. I especially like his inside work, he has very clean quick hands and wins clearances easily. He reads the ball nicely and makes good decisions. Josh's disposal is good and his skills are a real standout, he is neat and composed with his hands. His kicking is very good, not super penetrating but hits targets very well with low precise kicks. Athletically Josh is pretty good, he has decent pace, especially off the mark, and his agility seems very nice, he is hard to pin down and finds his way out of packs and contested situations very well. His endurance seems pretty good, gets round the ground well and finds a fair bit of the ball. His marking is average, and he could work a bit on the defensive side of his game, yet tackles well. Josh is very slight, and I have doubts over whether he is 'big' enough at AFL level, and he will take some time to build up. Yet he has a fair bit of potential given his slight size, and the fact he has never really focused on AFL. I think if developed right he has the potential to turn out similar to Sam Mitchell, although obviously its impossible to say he will be that good, that is more of a style or guide to the type of player he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just going best available with the later picks, last rounds of the rookie draft aren't the place to be fussing about positions, you grab talent where you can find it...

Pick 60 - Harry Cunningham - 181cm 70kg

Bit surprised when GWS didn't take him as an academy pick, I thought he was NSWs best midfielder at champs/TAC level, but just judging from what little stats I have available maybe he didn't stand out so much against men in the NEAFL. Pacy and dangerous outside winger with the disposal to make it hurt, backs himself and will run the length of the ground if you give him a chance. Can kick a goal. Works hard to apply pressure inside and will tackle willingly, but isn't really a clearance type, though I reckon he could improve in this department when he puts on some size - he's still distinctly skinny and would need another 10kg or so to play AFL.

Pick 78 - Michael Mascoulis - 185cm 76kg

Very happy to grab him here, thought I'd lost my chance last round. Would have gone in the first couple of rounds on pure talent, but had a very injury-hampered year (a fairly big hammy I think, just when he was finding some real form and just before the champs, came back late in the year but too late to find form). Slim, tallish midfielder/winger, mostly 'outside' but has a knack for doing things in close which most players could only do outside. Good lateral vision and movement, handy pace, very damaging disposal by foot given only half a chance. Knocks on him aside from injury issues would be consistency (he has a lot of low-possession games) and perhaps his defensive work. Mercurial kid who can be invisible for most of the game then rip you apart in a quarter. Picked for his very considerable upside, and could be a massive bargain.

Pick 96 - Fletcher Roberts - 194cm 80kg

Was tossing up between him and Lin Jong for this pick but Snoop made it easy for me. Roberts had a very big TAC GF as a forward but spent most of the year as a ruckman, which he's undersized for at AFL level (though HOW undersized depends on who you believe - I've seen him listed anywhere from 193cm to 197cm). Pity, because I think that's his best position - his around the ground work is good, he's an accurate kick to a target, and he can ruck as well. But I'll be looking to shape him as a key forward - he added contested marking to his game later in the season, and he's not a dinosaur once the ball hits the ground, which will be handy in the high-pressure forward line environments we're seeing in the AFL these days. Will needs to spend a couple of years beefing up, but a useful long-term investment.

Others I considered were Anthony Tipungwuti - an extraordinary talent and could be anything if he knuckles down fitness-wise, Ben Duscher from Bendigo as another mature midfielder, Hal Hunter who looked extremely promising as an underager last year but was cruelled by injuries this season, Ozgur Uysal, and Jordan Wilson as another half-back runner. Pretty happy with how I did though - a few genuine midfielders to complement the talls and hbs that the Dees went for in the ND, Hylton and Sundberg who are ready to go round one, and a couple of long term prospects who could be high-reward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back