Big Bash Drafting Game - Winners Poll

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the final squads in the Big Bash Drafting Games. Each manager had the task of compiling a squad of 15 with no more than 4 overseas players for next year's new Big Bash T20 comp in the style of the IPL.

Vote for the squad that you think is the best and make any comments that you wish.

WA Warriors
1. Chris Gayle*
2. Luke Ronchi
3. Ricky Ponting (c)
4. AB DeVilliers* (wk)
5. Mike Hussey
6. Simon Katich
7. Mitch Marsh
8. James Hopes
9. Brett Lee
10. Morne Morkel*
11. Muttiah Muralitharan*

12. Luke Butterworth
13. Marcus North
14. Steve Magoffin
15. Josh Hazlewood

Comments: The team opens up with two of the hardest hitters in world cricket followed by a very talented, flexible and creative 3-8. Ponting is still Australia's best batsman in this form and supported by the dangerous DeVilliers, Hussey, Katich, Mitch Marsh and Hopes, all of whom can clear the ropes and hit the gaps.

Lee and Morkel are wicket takers opening up with the white ball, with lee still arguably Australia's best limited overs bowler. Medium pace of Hopes and Marsh is handy, but the real support will come from the best off-spinner of all time and a sneaky part-timer in Gayle.

Plenty of depth and variety on the bench in the underrated all-rounder Butterworth, more than handy North, WA's best bowler in Magoffin and the rising star Hazlewood.
------------

New South Wales

1. Phil Hughes (Pick 42)
2. Mahela Jayawardene (International player #2) (Pick 18)
3. Phil Jaques (Pick 67)
4. MS Dhoni + (International player #3) (Pick 19)
5. Mark Cosgrove (Pick 43)
6. Kieron Pollard (International player #4) (Pick 30)
7. Steve Smith (Pick 31)
8. Brett Geeves (Pick 55)
9. Umar Gul (International player #1) (Pick 6)
10. Stuart Clark (Pick 78)
11. Dirk Nannes (Pick 7)

12. George Bailey (Pick 54)
13. Matthew Wade (Pick 79)
14. Aaron Heal (Pick 66)
15. Ian Harvey (Pick 90)

Comments
I clearly have the best opening bowlers. Umar Gul and Nannes would be probably be the opening bowlers in a World T20 XI. There's not gonna be many times where the batsmen are on top after 4 overs. Clark is a fine back-up seamer too, economical rate of below 6 and going better than a wicket a match. Brett Geeves isn't as fine. He's got a very good strike rate and the economical rate is pretty high.

Luckily I've got the bowler depth to cover Geeves if he does play badly. Pollard wouldn't be as in demand as he is if he was an once trick pony, but like Afridi he can bowl well too. S/R of under 15 and 81 wickets from the 70 innings bowled is a very good record for an all-rounder. His medium pacers can be easy to hit though and once again he can't always be relied upon to bowler 4 overs. Steve Smith is my spinner and as you can see he's actually got a pretty decent record with the ball In T20. An ever better S/R than Pollard which can make up for his economical rate.

If suited, Aaron Heal can come in for Geeves and do a decent job as a spinner while Ian Harvey is a good back-up for Smith and Pollard. Past his prime maybe, but he was still better than everything else at pick 90.

The opening batsmen are too pretty good. Hughes is a very under-rated T20 player while Jayawardene has been the best batsmen in T20 over the past year. Top scoring at the T20 WC and being in the top 5-10 scores in the IPL. Jaques too has a good record over a long period of time and while usually an opener, can play at number three.

With MS Dhoni I've pretty much got the best keeper/batsmen capable of playing very well in the middle order. Mark Cosgrove is a fat **** but he's pretty handy too at this form of the game and can also bowl if needed to. Pollard is obviously the danger player. Until he's out my team can still win. Smith hasn't been able to shine with the bat in T20, but he has played some good innings and he's only at 7. Bailey and Wade are useful back-ups but not really about to push anyone out.

Overall I reckon I got the best out of my international picks. Umal Gul is the best seamer, Jayawardene the best opener, Dhoni the best keeper - McCullum maybe better - and Pollard the most dangerous all-rounder. From there my - starting - Australian picks all have good records in T20 cricket. I've got a damn good team tbh.

------------------
Tasmanian Tigers
1. Virender Sehwag (IND)
2. Adam Gilchrist*+ (WA)
3. Brad Hodge (VIC)
4. Kumar Sangakkara (SRL)
5. Usman Khawaja (NSW)
6. Shakib al Hasan (BAN)
7. Andrew McDonald (VIC)
8. John Hastings (VIC)
9. Ryan Harris (QLD)
10. Dale Steyn (RSA)
11. Xavier Doherty (TAS)

12. Liam Davis (WA)
13. Aiden Blizzard (SA)
14. Steve O'Keefe (NSW)
15. Peter George (SA)

Comments:
I'm extremely pleased overall, I feel that I have a squad with a plethora of batting & bowling talent. There is good depth, nice variety & includes six of the world's greatest players.

My top order - Sehwag/Gilchrist/Hodge/Davis - is a bowler's nightmare, plenty of fire-power expected from these experienced power-hitters.

The middle order - Sangakkara/Khawaja/Blizzard - is well balanced for both big hitting and conservation, all three can strike the ball well.

My band of all rounders - McDonald/O'Keefe/Hastings - led by Bangladeshi skipper Shakib al Hasan, each offer their own unique talents with both bat and ball.

In my opinion, the lineup of fast bowlers - Steyn/Harris/George/Hastings/McDonald - in this side is one of the strongest in this comp. Steyn was my first priority & as the first selection, I've been able to shape the side around him.

And finally my spinners - O'Keefe/Doherty - are both very successful slow bowlers in the T20 format. Hodge and Sehwag can also roll the arm over if required.

What I'm most pleased with is my team has plenty of flexibility & depth in both the batting and the bowling.

---------------------
QLD Bulls
1. Michael Klinger (SA)
2. Shaun Marsh (WA)
3. Sachin Tendulker(IND)*
4. Jaques Kallis (RSA)*
5. Callum Ferguson (SA)
6. Shahid Afridi (PAK)*
7. Tim Paine (TAS)
8. Moises Henriques (NSW)
9. Daniel Vettori (NZ)*
10. Nathan Bracken (NSW)
11. Doug Bollinger (NSW)

12. Michael Clarke (NSW)
13. Clint McKay (VIC)
14. Rob Quiney (VIC)
15. Ben Laughlin (QLD)

* International Selection

Comments
Batting:
This batting lineup should be able to adjust to any situation. Klinger can get off to a dangerous start, whilst Marsh, Tendulker and Kallis can attack and pace depending on situations. Afridi when on his game is arguably the best twenty20 player in the world, and Fergusons ability to both attack and bat with the tail is under-rated. The batting depth goes till 9, with Paine, Henriques and Vettori very capable and proven twenty20 batsmen. The captain of the Australian side cant even get a gig, with the power of Tendulker and Afridi
Bowling:
I have the two best spinners in world twenty20 in Vettori and Afridi, and spin is the most effective form of bowling in T20. When playing, Bracken is probably the most economical bowler in the World, and Bollinger has been in terrific form for both Chennai and Australia. Jaques Kallis is also a very effective bowler in T20, along with the pace of Henriques and International experience of Mckay and Laughlin provide good backup. 6 bowling options in the starting 11
Overall:All of this side, bar 1 player have played International cricket at the highest level, and i believe there is a strong balance between explosive talent, careful stroke play, aggressive wicket taking, and economical performance

--------------------
SA Redbacks

1. Brendan McCullum (wk)
2. Aaron Finch
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Lee Carseldine
5. Andrew Symonds
6. Daniel Christian
7. Abdul Razzaq
8. Shane Warne (c)
9. Graeme Swann
10. Nathan Rimmington
11. Shaun Tait

12. Luke Pomersbach
13. Tom Cooper
14. Aaron O'Brien
15. Shane Harwood

It might not be the best looking team on paper, but every one of my players is capable of turning the game on it's head. Powerful hitting down to #7 (not that Warne, Swann and Rimmington can't bat), two top quality spinners and the fastest bowler in the world.
I don't think I actually have a set XI though. It would depend on the situation, as to whether I'd play four bowlers in addition to my all rounders or play an extra batsmen instead. Razzaq has opened the bowling quite a few times for Pakistan in recent times while Christian is a genuine wicket taker. Plus Symonds, Pietersen and Carseldine are all more than handy bowlers. So I wouldn't be short on bowling if I did play an extra batsmen.

---------------------
Victoria Bushrangers

1. Shane Watson (NSW)
2. David Warner (NSW)
3. Umar Akmal (Pak)
4. Cameron White (Vic) (c)
5. David Hussey (Vic)
6. JP Duminy (RSA)
7. Brad Haddin (NSW) (wk)
8. Mitchell Johnson (WA)
9. Harbhajan Singh (Ind)
10. Lasith Malinga (SL)
11. Ben Hilfenhaus (Tas)

12. Travis Birt (Tas)
13. Peter Siddle (Vic)
14. Nathan Hauritz (NSW)
15. Adam Voges (WA)

Comments:
Huge depth in this squad with numerous competitive lineups possible. Every single player listed has played in at least one T20 international. Full of very dangerous batsman who are suited to this shortened form of the game who can turn the game on its head while the bowlers are very economical and can take wickets. Very deep batting, especially if you count Johnson as an all-rounder. A few of the batsman can also bowl well in this form of the game as well allowing much flexibility with the bowling innings. To round things off, leading the team is one of the best captains in the world in T20 and some great fielders as well.
-----------------------

Picked NSW and it nearly broke the computer ;)

A bit suprised to see any votes for the QLD test XI in a T20 match

Victorian side looks to have very good batting, bowling is ok as well but really only 1 truly dangerous bowler, probably would win more than they would lose

SA side looks alot like a Royals outfit in IPL 1 and look how they did, could be a suprise packet

Very suprised to see Tassie winning the poll, cant see it myself, batting doesnt have that great a depth and bowling would be hit around quite alot

WA is ok but would probably go better in 50 over stuff

i love you too eddie. Was it because I picked Harvey? ;)

I'd probably go with Vic although I think in the end FF88 underachieved with his team.
Didnt really notice the reserves, it was the bowling attack that did it for me, I would probably play Wade ahead of Jaques though and the batting is pretty good, not as good as others but the bowling wins it for me and what lets Victoria down

Wade is actually in the squad as a batsman. When I picked Hughes I remembered that he can keep - not sure how well but he can! - so he was gonna be the back-up keeper. Wade was just the best batsman left by that pick. I wasn't sure which one to play out of Bailey, Wade and Jaques so I just let my bias decide. After watching Jaques' awful shot on Day 2 of the recent match I'm regretting my choice....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back