Best Movie that no one's ever heard of

Remove this Banner Ad

Further to Wagstaff's mention of "The Swimmer" comes this tidbit from The Guardian...

Things go swimmingly for Baldwin

Staff and agencies
Tuesday September 23, 2003

Alec Baldwin will star in a new film version of The Swimmer, adapted from the short story of the same title by John Cheever. It was previously filmed in 1968, with Burt Lancaster in the title role as a middle-aged man whose life story is told in his interactions with the neighbours in whose pools he swims.

---------------

Yep, it vanished without trace then and will do so again now. Just the sort of dud Baldwin's long-stalled career does NOT need.

Miyazaki won the academy for Spirited Away. I liked Grave of the Fireflies better. It`s a Japanese animated movie about a brother and sister trying to survive after bombings in WW2. Brilliantly done. His other movies such as My Neighbour Totoro are very good too.

Originally posted by Dingster
Miyazaki won the academy for Spirited Away. I liked Grave of the Fireflies better. It`s a Japanese animated movie about a brother and sister trying to survive after bombings in WW2. Brilliantly done. His other movies such as My Neighbour Totoro are very good too.

Love "Spirited Away".

Originally posted by coxon

'hedwig and the angry inch' is a pretty good entertaining movie i saw recently on dvd...

Hedwig and the Angry Inch is an absolute brain f*ck.

If you aren't easily offended, it's something worth watching once, but you'll be spending the next month trying to work out whether you liked it or not.

Love, Honour and Obey (2000)

It's a comedy Cockney gangster movie. Ray Winstone and Jude Law are the two actors you might have heard of but they are backed up by British actors such as Jonny Lee Miller, Kathy Burke, Rhys Ifans. At times you can tell tell the actors are struggling to keep a straight face with all the silliness.

Hysterical: A comedy/horror made in the early 80's with Richard Kiel (Jaws from the James Bond movies) .. it's basically a ****take on a few horror films and much better than Scary Movie.

Cactus Jack: Kirk Douglas and Arnold Schwarzenegger in another ****take but this one is taking the urine out of spaghetti westerns. Arnie plays an airheaded himbo cowboy hero named Handsome Stranger.. a perfect role for him

I always thought of that film as a live-action Road Runner-Coyote film.

A helluva lot of fun.

I know these are seriously old posts, but in the spirit of Cactus Jack, in the same vein there is also The Evil Roy Slade (John Astin - Gomez Adams) is the star.

I'll throw up some names of well known actors and their movies that most on here would never have heard of let alone seen, probably because they're old movies.

Henry Fonda - Mr Roberts, 12 Angry Men and Fail Safe (the first two are probably in my top 5 of all time)

Charlton Heston - The Planet of The Apes, Omega Man and Soylent Green - as good a trilogy of sci-fi movies that anyone has ever done. Soylent Green is probably the weakest of the three but has the most intriguing storyline for me.

I'll throw up some names of well known actors and their movies that most on here would never have heard of let alone seen
I don't know dude, Mister Roberts, 12 Angry Men, Fail Safe, The Planet of the Apes, Omega Man and Soylent Green, all six of those you mentioned are fairly well known for one reason or another, some are downright iconic

Incident in a Ghostland

Horror movie that I've watched 3 times. Most horror movies these days don't scare me. This sent chills down my spine, even on the third viewing.

The 2001 Australian action comedy 'Let's Get Skase' is so obscure that over 20 years later some people think it is an urban myth.

I can confirm it definitely exists and that I watched it - and really liked it too.

The 2001 Australian action comedy 'Let's Get Skase' is so obscure that over 20 years later some people think it is an urban myth.

I can confirm it definitely exists and that I watched it - and really liked it too.
As a nerd aussie movie collector, can confirm it exists, wouldn't rate it as highly as you seem to tho haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a nerd aussie movie collector, can confirm it exists, wouldn't rate it as highly as you seem to tho haha

I really liked Let's Get Skase, but it was many years ago and I admittedly have some odd tastes in movies at times. Not sure what younger people would think of LGS today.

Talking about forgotten Aussie films, have you ever seen or heard of another really obscure Australian movie from 1994 called 'Metal Skin'?

A drama/comedy (very black comedy) about four troubled dysfunctional young adults from the wrong side of the tracks in Melbourne it had a high profile director in Geoffrey Wright, four well-known young actors in the lead roles - Ben Mendelsohn, Aden Young, Tara Morice and Nadine Garner - and won much critical praise and even some AFI and other awards, but flopped badly at the cinema upon release and sank without trace afterwards.

I really liked Let's Get Skase, but it was many years ago and I admittedly have some odd tastes in movies at times. Not sure what younger people would think of LGS today.

Talking about forgotten Aussie films, have you ever seen or heard of another really obscure Australian movie from 1994 called 'Metal Skin'?

A drama/comedy (very black comedy) about four troubled dysfunctional young adults from the wrong side of the tracks in Melbourne it had a high profile director in Geoffrey Wright, four well-known young actors in the lead roles - Ben Mendelsohn, Aden Young, Tara Morice and Nadine Garner - and won much critical praise and even some AFI and other awards, but flopped badly at the cinema upon release and sank without trace afterwards.
Yeah Metal Skin is pretty cool. Forgot Tara Morice was also in it. From memory it was Geoffrey Wright's follow up after Romper Stomper and I think it suffered from that. Aden Young's character was really interesting.

Not sure about the thread title but here goes.

October Sky (PG 1999 ‧ Drama/Docudrama ‧ 1h 48m)
Homer Hickam, a coal miner's son, gets inspired to build rockets when he hears about the first artificial satellite Sputnik being launched into space, even though he faces resistance from his father.

The Negotiator (MA15+ 1998 ‧ Action/Crime ‧ 2h 20m)
When a prominent hostage negotiator is accused of corruption, he takes people captive to buy himself time and search for evidence that will clear his name.

The Final Countdown (M 1980 ‧ Sci-fi/War ‧ 1h 43m)
In 1980, the crew of a US warship travels through time to 1941 Hawaii. They struggle to do the right thing as they catch sight of the Japanese preparing to attack Pearl Harbour.

On The Beach (2000 ‧ Sci-fi/Thriller ‧ 3h 29m)
After a nuclear weapons exchange in the northern hemisphere, the story begins in Australia where radio active fallout is slowly transitioning to the southern hemisphere threatening the entire population. An American submarine and the crew seeks refuge in Australia. The Australian government takes authority of the sub and orders the crew to take Australian scientists back to the northern hemisphere to assess the current state of the environment. This mission is crucial to determine the fate of all life on earth.

I throw another one in.

Dark City
M 1998 ‧ Thriller/Sci-fi ‧ 1h 40m
John awakens in a hotel with no memory and learns that he is wanted for a series of murders. While seeking answers, he discovers a group of aliens called the Strangers who are controlling the city.

Last edited:
The Odyssey (1997)

The warrior King Odysseus leaves his idyllic life in the kingdom of Ithaca to fight in the Trojan War. After winning the war, he now must endure a lengthy, ten-year journey to return, and with all his wits, Odysseus must overcome deadly monsters, powerful forces of nature, seductive enchantresses, and even journey into the bowels of the Underworld.

Hiroshima
1995 ‧ War/Documentary ‧ 3h 10m

After the death of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Vice President Harry Truman (Kenneth Welsh) is suddenly forced to deal with the difficult task of taking control of the United States during the closing stages of World War II. Though the Germans have been beaten down and are on the verge of surrender, Japanese forces refuse to back down. Meanwhile, President Truman is getting conflicting advice regarding the necessity of dropping a nuclear bomb on Hiroshima.

Excalibur (1981)

An action, romance, fantasy romp about King Arthur. Written and directed by John Boorman, it featured future stars such as Helen Mirren, Patrick Stewart, Liam Neeson, Gabriel Byrne, and Ciarán Hinds. But for me Nicol Williamson as Merlin was the stand out.

Strange Days
R18+ 1995 ‧ Sci-fi/Thriller ‧ 2h 25m

Former policeman Lenny Nero (Ralph Fiennes) has moved into a more lucrative trade: the illegal sale of virtual reality-like recordings that allow users to experience the emotions and past experiences of others. While the bootlegs typically contain tawdry incidents, Nero is shocked when he receives one showing a murder. He enlists a friend, bodyguard Mace (Angela Bassett), to help find the killer -- and the two soon stumble upon a vast conspiracy involving the police force Nero once worked for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back