Best Country Football School Side in 08'

Remove this Banner Ad

:)

From Bairnsdale tiger. I named their town not football club. Went to school with Costigan and Stevens for a while. Know them well enough I reckon. Still, agree with your assessment of Nick Heyne being a gun. He came back to play local footy last year when power had a bye. 6 goals, marking them all over the place and I dont think he had a shot from within the 50m arc (45m at Orbost). For a young kid to stamp himself on a game like that is pretty special.
Good point about the size of the town all things aside, just didn't want you taking credit for our boys..

can you blame me:D:thumbsu:

Notre Dame College Shepparton were runners up last year in the herald sun comp last year and have a lot stronger team this year. won all 4 matches played at wangarrata last month with only 1 goal kicked for the day against us. we have 4 murray bushrangers players playing.

I don't know about that, that's only 5 good players. Both Bendigo Senior Secondary College and Catholic College Bendigo have something like 8 TAC cup players (each), and CCB were defeated by both St. Pat's Ballarat and Assumption College Kilmore (not bad for a town of only 5,000 people)
Ahhhh assumption hav people that board there so its not 5,000 people they get people from all over vic

St. Josephs College, Geelong are an awesome footballing school. Won the Herald Shield 2 years ago, made the final last year and are in the semi's this year, going in as favourites to make the final again. With Vic country player Allen Christensen, and several other Geelong Faclons players in the team, they have the depth to go on and win the Herald Shield.

Notre Dame College Shepparton were runners up last year in the herald sun comp last year and have a lot stronger team this year. won all 4 matches played at wangarrata last month with only 1 goal kicked for the day against us. we have 4 murray bushrangers players playing.
serious about life pal?
notre dame clearly didnt make the final of the herald sun shield last year. Penleigh Essendon College beat St Josephs College, Geelong.

Rochester Secondary College has supplied quite a few AFL players over the years;

Paul McMahon (drafted by North in 1997)
Ash Watson (drafted by North in 2001)
Tim Rasmussen (Hawks sup. list in 1997)
Glynn Tomlinson (drafted by Geelong on 1990)
Bowden Hamilton (drafted by Collingwood in 1991)
Kayne Pettifer (drafted by Richmond in 2000)

In addition, David Williams (Melb, Rich), Simon McCarty (North) and Robert Miller (Carl reserves) went there, as did a few before the 80s that at least went down to the VFL.

Plus, to my knowledge they have won the Sun Cup twice (1992, 2005 and runners up in 1997).

Not bad for a town with a population under 3000.

St. Josephs College, Geelong are an awesome footballing school. Won the Herald Shield 2 years ago, made the final last year and are in the semi's this year, going in as favourites to make the final again. With Vic country player Allen Christensen, and several other Geelong Faclons players in the team, they have the depth to go on and win the Herald Shield.
Geelong should not be regarded as country Victoria in anything IMO football or basketball.Nothing against Geelong as a city mind you ,i think it's a great place but the fact remains ,it has a population of what?.. 250,000 to 300,000 as against true country towns for which this thread was originally intended like Sale for e.g with 20000 tops or Shepparton 35000.Not only that it's only a 25 min drive from Melbourne ,it's about as country as Werribee or Frankston IMO hardly a level playing field competing against Geelong in anything.

Geelong should not be regarded as country Victoria in anything IMO football or basketball.Nothing against Geelong as a city mind you ,i think it's a great place but the fact remains ,it has a population of what?.. 250,000 to 300,000 as against true country towns for which this thread was originally intended like Sale for e.g with 20000 tops or Shepparton 35000.Not only that it's only a 25 min drive from Melbourne ,it's about as country as Werribee or Frankston IMO hardly a level playing field competing against Geelong in anything.
mate...
geelong is about an hour from melbourne ok, i agree we do have it easier with our massive population but not everyone can go to joeys, plenty of super footballers been knocked back from there. You cant say we arent country because we country in everything we do. Football, basketball. anyways what matchups you reckon will go through the middle?

Rochester Secondary College has supplied quite a few AFL players over the years;

Paul McMahon (drafted by North in 1997)
Ash Watson (drafted by North in 2001)
Tim Rasmussen (Hawks sup. list in 1997)
Glynn Tomlinson (drafted by Geelong on 1990)
Bowden Hamilton (drafted by Collingwood in 1991)
Kayne Pettifer (drafted by Richmond in 2000)

In addition, David Williams (Melb, Rich), Simon McCarty (North) and Robert Miller (Carl reserves) went there, as did a few before the 80s that at least went down to the VFL.

Plus, to my knowledge they have won the Sun Cup twice (1992, 2005 and runners up in 1997).

Not bad for a town with a population under 3000.

Isn't the question 'Best Country Football School Side in 08' otherwise I would've argued Assumption College, Kilmore which leaves your school for dead!

Isn't the question 'Best Country Football School Side in 08' otherwise I would've argued Assumption College, Kilmore which leaves your school for dead!

i would say assumption college in 2008 anyways as they r in the grandfinal 4 both herald sun shied and agsv in 2008 and overall i think they would s**t all over rochester.

assumption v penleigh and essendon grammer10.30am saturday at trinity college bullen 2nd august

assumption v essendon kelior college herald sun shield 11.00am august 16th at the M.C.G.

if that is not a good indication 4 the best country footy skool in 2008 wat is?:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hafta agree there
played against assumption recently and they are certainly one of the strongest outfits iv seen from any school team this year

and their skipper jamie sheahan is unbelievably dominant. the man is a star

serious about life pal?
notre dame clearly didnt make the final of the herald sun shield last year. Penleigh Essendon College beat St Josephs College, Geelong.
yer mate i am. the question here is who is the best COUNTRY football school side. i thought notre dame were up there. but obviously ballarat are better as they beat us in the final. and probably Assumption would be better.. i cant see Essendon as a country victorian side. i thinking use would be a metro team.

would clearly have to b assumption college kilmore. they took out the heraldsun shield yesterday and also won their agsv final two weeks ago. 2 premierships in 3 weeks very good effort.

Assumption College has won a record 10th MCC Herald Sun Shield defeating Essendon Keilor College by six points.

Assumption College grabbed the lead in a frantic final quarter to run out 9.7 (61) to 6.19 (55) winners.

Assumption closed to within five points at the final break and continued the momentum in the last to run over the top of its inaccuarate opponent.

A second goal to centreman Simon Collis pushed Assumption's lead out to seven points with three minutes to play.

Essendon Keilor attacked relentlessly but Assumption valiantly held firm and kept their opponents to just the one behind to claim the 2008 MCC Herald Sun Shield.

The first half was a totally different ball game, with Essendon Keilor dominating possession through the likes of rover Darcy Dove and lively half-back Mitch Banner.

Essendon Keilor burst out of the blocks with a three goal to nil first term and repelled nicely from defence through half-back Conal Moloney and full-back Kyle Hartigan. They had all the play but failed to capitalise on their many opportunities in front of goal due to the pressure of the Assumption backline led by centre half back Sam Vale.

The second was much tighter with both teams kicking two goals. But Essendon Keilor would again rue bad kicking with four behinds.

Trailing by 27 points at half-time, Assumption rallied in the third kicking the first goal to lift its spirits. The midfield got on top via captain Jamie Sheahan, wing Will Holman and Collis. They piled on a further three goals and held Essendon Keilor goalless to trim the margin to under a goal.

The final quarter was a nail-biter with both teams wrestling for the ascendancy. Both teams traded goals before Assumption found space and run through the midfield and took the lead for the first time in the match.

Assumption's Collis then snapped truly to give his side back-to-back goals and a match winning lead.

It is a record 10th title for Assumption College, who went into the game as the underdogs as Essendon Keilor boasted 14 TAC Cup-listed players.

It is also a record 10th title for master Assumption coach Ray Carroll, who has been involved with schoolboy football for an incredible 50 years.

Match details:

Assumption College 0.1 2.2 6.4 9.7 (61)

Essendon Keilor College 3.7 5.11 5.16 6.19 (55)

Goals: Assumption: Gestier 2, M Talia 2, Collis 2, Ryan, Zoch. Essendon Keilor: M White, Banner, Schroder, McKernan, Moloney, Tighe.

Best: Assumption: Collis, Prestia, Allen, Sheahan, Vale, Holman, D Talia. Essendon Keilor: Hartigan, Tsardakis, Moloney, Dove, Banner.

Neale Daniher Medal (Assumption College best player): Simon Collis.

Kevin Sheehan Medal (Essendon Keilor College best player): Kyle Hartigan

I guess this answers the question in its entirety.

Stevens is only in year 11 and has another year of school footy left in him. Although he is extremely cocky and full of himself, he knows how to take a grab. An absolute gun basketballer (probably better at basketball then he is footy, just more opportunities in footy).

Gippsland Grammar would get beaten by the majority of other Gippsland high schools. Lavalla could beat them, Nagle could (next year definetly), Sale Catholic wouldn't. Bairnsdale Secondary would beat them (Dave Donchi - Power boy, Nick Sing - Power Boy etc.).

CCS aren't too bad. jord dessent, mitch davis, mitch and nic dowse, toby leeds, tom young, pendlebury, todd, pat walker, jord mcmillan, jack tatterson.

ACK would be up there wouldnt they.
would be one of the best football schools that dont give out scholar-ships.

they just won the Herald Sun Shield and are the best team in the State!

aside from maybe Bendigo or St Pat's, no Vic country college team could hold a candle to ACK

they just won the Herald Sun Shield and are the best team in the State!

aside from maybe Bendigo or St Pat's, no Vic country college team could hold a candle to ACK

well ACK bet St Pats this year by 6 goals or something at St Pats.
And i think they beat Bendigo by like 9 points or something

well ACK bet St Pats this year by 6 goals or something at St Pats.
And i think they beat Bendigo by like 9 points or something

Thanks for the news update buddy, i think we already knew that
It would be out of St pats and Assumption
Assumption having the edge
The herald sun shield game earlier this year was not a good indication of who is better

Remove this Banner Ad

Back