Club Legend
Nov 28, 2014
Eastern Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Interested to see who are the best 5 kicks on our list
I’d go

1.Jack Martin
Absolutely elite kicking skills left foot right foot he’s just as good on both sides, very stylish technique, ball spins perfectly, good penetration, keeps it low and flat, but it’s his placement, decision making and creativity that makes him so damaging, love it when he has the ball in hand.

2.LOB
Lovely left boot, technique looks smooth, penetration very good, seen him kick particularly well to players on the lead, doesn’t use it in game as much as he should, but I think this will come in time, with experience and confidence.

3.SPS
Dual sided, short passes are sometimes jaw dropping, creativity very good, decision making usually very good too,
Like to see him back himself and attack the game with longer passes, he is capable.

4.Weitering
Great kick for a 196cm key position player, can absolutely nail 50-55 meter passes coming out of defence, ball spins perfectly and has that sweet sound off the boot, has cannon for a right leg

5.Newman
Hopefully the injury doesn’t have a impact on he’s kicking, left foot is a weapon, good at long range and short range passes, good kick at goal on the run too.

One to watch
Charlie Curnow
He can spray them, but he can roost it too, when he nails them, they rocket off his boot, loves to take on the high risk high reward kicks too.

Fairly sure he missed one on the weekend.
Mustn’t count non scores. Kicked 5 straight this season according to footywire

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Martin is top of the list for sure.

Eddie a close second, if only because he lacks some penetration these days.

I find it hard to split the next two: Weiters and SPS. Right now I've got Weiters in front, purely because he's playing with confidence and intent and gaining a lot of territory with his disposal. SPS has the skills to pull ahead, but still seems to play a bit conservatively.

Those are the four that I'd back in to find a target by foot despite opposition or situational pressure

Reckon I'd then throw a blanket over LOB, Willo, Doc, Murph, Cunners, Bam Bam, JSOS and Gibbons - all guys who use the ball very well in space, but tend to lose their cool a bit under pressure.

And a special mention to Casboult, whose field kicking has really impressed me of late. Lowers the eyes and finds good targets on a consistent basis. I wouldn't want him taking low percentage kicks, but when he gets up the ground he's great player to hit up for reliable transition.

1. Martin
2. Eddie
3. Weiters
4. SPS
5. Depends on the day

Weiters no.1 for me and right now it isn't overly close. Long king, penetrating kick, composed kick. He makes me feel safe. He's your classic "The ball just sounds different off his boot" kind of guy.

Mitch McGov is our best shot by a long way. That's extremely important and somehow underrated. His kick off 1 step from 50 was perfect, straight through the middle and never looked like missing, could anyone else on our list have done the same thing? CC could, but he's not on the park so is disqualified. Hitting targets is important, so is kicking for goal, and no one kicks for goal better than Mitch for us so for me he's no.2.

Eddie Betts Can do things with a footy no one else can. He's a bit lower though because his max range is about 40m. Can't be the best kick in the club with that sort of range! To his credit he does take those max range kicks on, evidenced by his left footy beauty to Murph that would've been close to 40m.

Sam Docherty He's a smart kick as well as a long penetrating kick. A couple of shanks this year but I put that down to finding his touch still after 2 yrs out as opposed to being an uncertain kick. His kick toward the wing last week was a good example of being a smart kick, he kicked it about 5m in front of his target because he had a defender right on him. His team mate was either going to be able to run on to it or it was going out of bounds 40m downfield. Very smart kick and something I don't think anyone else on the list would think of.

Jack Martin A little dodgy on the set shot and has been since early on in his Suns tenure which costs him some places for me. Field kicking is great though.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Murph gets a lot of hate, but he's nearly our best all round kick. His kicks for goal in general play are probably the best on the team, he can snap, dribble and banana them through. I'd say the drop punt is probably his worst goal kicking skill. Though similar to others his range these days is about 40-45m and I have a hard time saying you're top 5 if you can't at least kick 50m. Eddie got a break because inside his range he does crazy things.

Can't put SPS in there, I think his elite kicking skills are a myth. His max range is about 45m but he never really kicks longer than 30m unless he's going down the line. He only kicks 20m-25m passes and he does those well, but I can't put him top 5 or call him elite until he starts penetrating with his kicks. Right now he has no penetration in his game.

Williamson will probably make this list soon enough but not yet.

O'Brien I'm not 100% sold on. He's a good kick but I don't know about elite just yet. Need to see more from him. I think he'll be top 5 at some point for me, but right now I say no.

I'm not disagreeing with anything that has been said above. However, I would like to raise a dark horse in the kicking skills department - Liam Jones. His kicks don't always come off but they mostly do. I've watched him pretty closely for the last couple of years and for the most part he seems to be able to pick out a player from a long way away and then kick it with precision. The number of times that he manages to pick out a player who is in a better position even when that player is surrounded by opposition and still get it to him with with a perfect kick is impressive.

I'm not disagreeing with anything that has been said above. However, I would like to raise a dark horse in the kicking skills department - Liam Jones. His kicks don't always come off but they mostly do. I've watched him pretty closely for the last couple of years and for the most part he seems to be able to pick out a player from a long way away and then kick it with precision. The number of times that he manages to pick out a player who is in a better position even when that player is surrounded by opposition and still get it to him with with a perfect kick is impressive.
The problem with Jones isn't the kicking skill itself, but rather his decision making.

Based on pure kicking he's very good, but I still get nervous whenever he has it.

Are we talking kicking for goal or kicks in general play? Specifically looking at kicking I50 or around the ground? Long and penetrating or short and clever? All require different skill levels.

Gov is our best shot for goal.
Martin, Murphy our best bringing the ball inside 50.
Doc, Newman, Weitering over long distance.
Eddie, SPS, Martin short and creative.

Levi hasn’t missed a shot on goal this season, just sayin

Fairly sure he missed one on the weekend.

Mustn’t count non scores. Kicked 5 straight this season according to footywire

I recall it drifted across the face and as a result fell slightly short and was touched through, so perhaps it's being put down as rushed as opposed to missed.

Definitely missed one in the second quarter. I'll have another look but I'm 99% this is a statistical oversight.

Actually got a lot of footskills on the list. Better than for a long, long time. If they don't have to be regular senior players, I reckon Stocker and Kennedy would be up there with Martin, as the absolute best kicks. Harry's pretty good as well, so long as it's not a set shot. Also, Murphy surely has to be top 5.

Doc is a good kick, but I wouldn't say he is top 5. Loops the ball far too much, and is prone to 1 or 2 hurlers per game. I'm far more confident of him hitting a running player 60 metres away than nailing a simple short pass. He is good at getting some creative kicks away under pressure though.

Doc is a good kick, but I wouldn't say he is top 5. Loops the ball far too much, and is prone to 1 or 2 hurlers per game. I'm far more confident of him hitting a running player 60 metres away than nailing a simple short pass. He is good at getting some creative kicks away under pressure though.
What do you mean by loops it?

He has had a habit of clanking one or two this season but I think that's down to getting touch and back to match speed after 2 years off as opposed to having a problem with the skill itself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back