Personal Experience Berenstein/Berenstain Bears evidence of parallel universes

Remove this Banner Ad

From a reddit post, just a good response....

-----

The reason ME’s can’t be properly explained is because most people and researchers in the West have a preconceived perception of what fundamental reality is. Meaning what we consider factual about reality is really a theory. Science is theory not fact we just treat the theory of science like it is fact. Consciousness has not been considered in science or religious theories about the perception of reality. Linear time, continuity and space are presented as facts when they just my be side effects of the way we perceive reality and if we were some way able to change our preconceived perception of reality we might find that time and space are more malleable the we previously thought.

Ok, that's weird because I remember the "I see white people" being in a promo trailer. I would have said it was Scary Movie or one of those horror parodies.

Ok, that's weird because I remember the "I see white people" being in a promo trailer. I would have said it was Scary Movie or one of those horror parodies.

That's what I was thinking, but looking up this particular line today and reading multiple other discussions about the topic, it seemed a consensus that no movie trailer featured that line or the alternate

So that theory went out the window

The expression 'simp' refers to a man who fawns over a woman he is in love with, despite the fact that they are not in a relationship and sometimes the woman - who may even be in a relationship with another man - is indifferent or even disdainful of her 'suitor'.

I don't ever recall hearing this expression before 2018 - 2017 at the earliest - but apparently the expression has been in use since at least the 1990s, and on a Youtube video I saw Phoebe using it in a late 1990s episode of Friends, and the expression also used in two movies that were made in the 1990s and early 2000s, which seems strange.

It would be like seeing characters from a TV show produced in the 1990s describing a bossy female character as a 'Karen', years before this became a meme in the late 2010s.

The expression 'simp' refers to a man who fawns over a woman he is in love with, despite the fact that they are not in a relationship and sometimes the woman - who may even be in a relationship with another man - is indifferent or even disdainful of her 'suitor'.

I don't ever recall hearing this expression before 2018 - 2017 at the earliest - but apparently the expression has been in use since at least the 1990s, and on a Youtube video I saw Phoebe using it in a late 1990s episode of Friends, and the expression also used in two movies that were made in the 1990s and early 2000s, which seems strange.

It would be like seeing characters from a TV show produced in the 1990s describing a bossy female character as a 'Karen', years before this became a meme in the late 2010s.
100% identical experience.

Thought it was a new word in 2020 or so, then saw Phoebe use it on a Friends rewatch.

Not sure this is necessarily a Mandela though - could just always have been a word in certain circles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This one's an interesting one, what do you guys remember? For me it's either throw/chuck, slip sounds very foreign to me

While posting about coincidences with Australian actors Ben Mendelsohn and Aden Young in the Film Trivia thread, I remembered an odd Mandela Effect about the Australian comedy movie 'The Big Steal' many years ago.

I first saw The Big Steal with friends at the cinema in 1990, and it instantly entered my top 5 favorite films of all time, where it remains to this day. I also watched the movie with my family when we hired it from a video shop the next year, and they loved it too.

About two years later I noticed The Big Steal was on TV one evening so sat down to watch it and got an almighty surprise. For up until then, I had thought that Tim Robertson had played the role of Mr. Clark, the father of main character Danny (Ben Mendelsohn), while Marshall Napier had played the role of Mr. Johnson, the strict father of Johanna (Claudia Karvan). However, i was mistaken, and in fact it was the opposite way around. How could I have gotten something so wrong about one of my favorite movies that I had last seen just two years ago?

There's probably a few factors that might explain it. Tim Robertson and Ben Mendelsohn had previously played father and son in 'The Year My Voice Broke' in 1987. The late Marshall Napier frequently played authority figures in dramas such as Police Rescue, his forays into comedy were much fewer. Danny's parents were English; Maggie King who played Mrs. Clark was from the UK, and so was Tim Robertson originally - but Marshall Napier put on an English accent to play the role. A joke in the movie was that Mr. Clark and Mr. Johnson were both named Desmond.

Upon subsequent viewings of The Big Steal, Tim Robertson has remained playing Mr. Johnson and Marshall Napier Mr. Clark and it was no doubt always the case, but who knows? In the very last scene of The Big Steal before the credits roll the narrator who is saying what happened to all the main characters advises that the Johnsons spend their lives avoiding the Clarks, and we see Tim Robertson and Lise Rogers (Mrs. Johnson) hiding in their own garden, while Marshall Napier and Maggie King as Mr. and Mrs. Clark look over the fence. Perhaps in an alternate dimension, it is Marshall Napier and Lise Rogers as the Johnsons who are hiding in the garden while Tim Robertson and Maggie King playing the Clarks look over the fence, and somebody watching the movie is thinking, 'I could have sworn that Marshall Napier played Danny's father and Tim Robertson played Johanna's father when I first saw this film over 30 years ago.'

In the movie interstellar when Cooper is viewing the messages and then they stop, does he stand up and touch the screen and look behind it in an obviously emotional way? Like he’s left hanging and desperately searching for more and the scene captures his pronounced reaction. All clips I see now it just cuts to Murph on earth.

Home and Away has had a number of characters who were twins in its cast over the years. In the first seasons original character Carly had an estranged identical twin sister Samantha, both characters played by Sharyn Hodgeson. In the early 2000s the Sutherland family moved to Summer Bay. This family had three daughters, the younger of whom were fraternal twins Kirsty and Jade. The girls had a twin telepathy, more common in identical twins but not unknown in fraternal twins, but in a later shock it was revealed that they were not even sisters. There was a mix-up at the hospital the night the girls were born, and Jade was in fact the biological daughter of another family, Kirsty's actual twin being an identical twin sister. So much for twin telepathy. Then in the last years of Sally's long tenure in the late 2000s, it was revealed that she had a long-lost twin brother named Miles.

In the early 1990s there was another set of fraternal brother/sister twins who called Summer Bay home - Blake and Karen Dean, played by Les Hill and Belinda Jarrett - or so I thought for many years. It was only recently when watching old clips on Youtube of Alf Stewart getting angry that I discovered that these characters were not twins, but Blake was the older of the two siblings by a year.

Yet I would swear under oath in court that I remember that Blake and Karen were twins when watching Home and Away episodes back then, other characters referring to them as 'the twins', them being referred to as twins on the 'Back to the Bay' website and reading a TV Guide article when they joined the show in 1990 that they were twin brother and sister. They were in the same year at school, but apparently it was because Blake had been held back a year when they were younger, something I did not remember.

Obviously my memory in three decades is to blame here, but its still kind of strange. And born in 1973 and 1974 respectively, Les Hill and Belinda Jarrett were close enough in age to play twin brother and sister. In another Australian show in the early 1990s, sitcom 'All Together Now' fraternal twin brother and sister Thomas and Anna were played by Steve Jacobs and Jane Hall, despite 4 years between them in real life, Steve Jacobs being born in 1967 and Jane Hall in 1971.

Did anyone else think that Wayne Carey's career was cut short when he collided with a point post in a Friday night game in Adelaide against Essendon.

I remember him being driven off on the cart and recognised that as being his final game.

Apparently he played for another season and unceremoniously retired due to a debilitating neck injury which had flared up in a game a few days prior.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back