VFL Game Day Bendigo Vs Sandringham

Remove this Banner Ad

lemon chicken

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2008
Mordialloc
AFL Club
Essendon
Only watched the first 3 qtrs so if anybody has more to add it would be good.

Belly won a heap of hitouts and was ok around the ground but still like to see him have a bit more presence around the ground. Kosi played for them started fwd and second ruck and Tommy Walsh was their other main ruck. Simon Madden was there coaching Belly and Jenkins at breaks.

Dyson out of the backline and up to the wing, not massive numbers but used the ball very well. Played first half on Winmar and this is why i find it hard to judge Dyson's games, most weeks he's playing on 18yo's.

Reimers was on ball and in the top 3 on the ground. Hard to judge what he is supposed to be working on so who knows where he is at.

Prismall i would of had as our best, was looking like a 40 possesion game when i left. Has ditched a lot of the wide reciving stuff and is winning more contested possesions.

Pears i think looks a bit under done. Fully expect him to play seniors next week but dont think he will be up to the speed of it.

Tyson Slattery took a massive hanger and looked to be playing well and then just lets himself down with poor disposal.

Ross gets better and better every week, played this week as running back flank.

Williams is getting pushed further from goal. Ok game but nothing special.

Neagle started bench and went fwd. With Maddern now in the side it is a big fwd line so he is basically CHF when he comes on. Maddern has kicked 10 goals in the last 2 matches, something Neagle has never done, so when country footballers can come in and make more of an impact than his whole VFL career his numbers are up. Cant see him getting a game if Gumby come back.

Davey was a lot better than previous weeks but still is avoiding contct and fumbling too much.

Only watched the first 3 qtrs so if anybody has more to add it would be good.

Belly won a heap of hitouts and was ok around the ground but still like to see him have a bit more presence around the ground. Kosi played for them started fwd and second ruck and Tommy Walsh was their other main ruck. Simon Madden was there coaching Belly and Jenkins at breaks.

Dyson out of the backline and up to the wing, not massive numbers but used the ball very well. Played first half on Winmar and this is why i find it hard to judge Dyson's games, most weeks he's playing on 18yo's.

Reimers was on ball and in the top 3 on the ground. Hard to judge what he is supposed to be working on so who knows where he is at.

Prismall i would of had as our best, was looking like a 40 possesion game when i left. Has ditched a lot of the wide reciving stuff and is winning more contested possesions.

Pears i think looks a bit under done. Fully expect him to play seniors next week but dont think he will be up to the speed of it.

Tyson Slattery took a massive hanger and looked to be playing well and then just lets himself down with poor disposal.

Ross gets better and better every week, played this week as running back flank.

Williams is getting pushed further from goal. Ok game but nothing special.

Neagle started bench and went fwd. With Maddern now in the side it is a big fwd line so he is basically CHF when he comes on. Maddern has kicked 10 goals in the last 2 matches, something Neagle has never done, so when country footballers can come in and make more of an impact than his whole VFL career his numbers are up. Cant see him getting a game if Gumby come back.

Davey was a lot better than previous weeks but still is avoiding contct and fumbling too much.

I also saw the first three quarters and agree with everything said. I would add though that Neagle did have a really good patch in the 3rd, he took a few good marks, won the ball on the ground and applied good tackling pressure. He spent a lot of time upm the ground, so number of goals kicked is probably not the best measure for his game.

I was very impressed by Ross, he's not ready for seniors but showed a lot of toe and footy smarts.

Silverlock was pretty good, had quite a bit of the ball. I would really like to see him get a crack at AFL level, he's quick, runs hard, has pretty decent skills and is also good in contests.

Carlisle was oK, but nothing special. I do like him though, he works hard and seems to be a pretty smart player.

Steinberg and Davis didn't do much that i saw

Little was very good, we could do with him in the ones. Jenkins is a monster of a bloke.

Carlisle was oK, but nothing special. I do like him though, he works hard and seems to be a pretty smart player.

Strikes me as the type of forward that would be better suited to a higher standard.

More predictable structure and flow... That's based on seeing him play about 4 times...

A question for people who actually did actually see the game - who could come into the seniors next week?

Seems Dyson and Davey are not in the match committes thinking but what about Reimers, Prismall? Is T.Bell a chance to come back? What about M.Williams as a forward option since we seem to be struggling there at the moment..??

Reimers would have to be number 1. Explosive, hard and skillful.

Bellchambers was the dominant big man on the ground and looked a step above- he really hits the aerial contests with great force and was winning most of the hit outs. Interesting to see how Hirdy manages that.

Everything that I saw from Neagle was very encouraging. He wasn't playing as a CHF, he was playing even further up the ground and repeatedly chasing, tackling and winning his own ball. His hands below his knees are exceptional, and he took an awesome grab in the forward line and converted too. Really quite impressed.

Willo still looks ages off, I disagree on Carlisle as he just didn't get into the game and never looked like it either. That being said, I agree with the Don that he is probably the kind of player who's better suited to a higher level.

Didn't see much from Tayte, missed the first quarter and a half so that was probably why.

A question for people who actually did actually see the game - who could come into the seniors next week?

Seems Dyson and Davey are not in the match committes thinking but what about Reimers, Prismall? Is T.Bell a chance to come back? What about M.Williams as a forward option since we seem to be struggling there at the moment..??

Prismall, Reimers, Dyson and Williams all played well enough to warrent consideration. While he wasn't as good as those mentioned, I'd really like to see Silverlock get a run in the seniors, there is a lot to like about the way he plays.

T-Bell needs to do more around the ground, I don't think it will hurt his development having a bit of a run in the twos.

Saw the whole game and you did not miss much in the last quarter as the run dried up and we where lucky that Sandy could not kick straight.
Very good first three quarters with a lot of run through the lines and fast ball movement.

Neagle - not sure he touched it in the first half, did a few good things in the third quarter.

Dyson- pretty good game.

Carlisle - took 2 good marks but that was about it.

Steinburg - reasonable without troubling Sandy too much.

Davis - good in defense, not a lot of possessions.

Williams - handy on the wing but very quiet early. Set up some goals in the third quarter.

Silverlock - played on ball and was in and out of the play a bit. Not one of his better games and he had a few lazy moments.

Slattery - if he could kick he would be in the senior side now.

Remiers - played on ball and was good all day. Not many selfish moments and plenty of run. Clearance work was ok.

Ross- made a couple of mistakes but was good off half back.

Quinn - standard for Quinn, goes ok at VFL levle.

Jenkins - ruck work reasonable, needs more around the ground.

Bellchambers - won a lot of hit outs but a lot went to no one in particular. Not bad around the ground but could have been better.

Webster - had a few touches, on and off the bench a lot.

Prismall - was every where easily the best.

Davey - better than previous weeks but is still not going in at 100% and is fumbling a lot. Also waiting to tackle blokes rather than attacking the footy.

Pears - pretty good, played about 70% game time. used the ball well.

Probably the biggest issue for senior selection is that it was the Bendigo guys in Dickson, little and Maddern who dominated the goal scoring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

T Bell - No. has to replace a ruckman to get back in. Ryder and Hille were both good, at least we know we have a capable ruckman in waiting.

Reimers - Will he play on ball in seniors? Without knowing why he is at Bendigo its hard to say if he is ready again. If its defensive stuff why isnt he playing back flank or tagging? Work rate i would say was very good, got back and helped out defenders and provided a link through the middle but he also pushed deep fwd at times. If he needs to cover more ground and work harder then straight back in.

Dyson - i think Heppell's form is the only reason he cant get a game.

Prismall - Couldnt get in with no Watson and Hocking, not sure what he needs to do, maybe he wasnt fit seems odd.

Williams - Shadow of the player he was. Has lost a lot of pace and rarely marks the ball on a lead anymore.

Tyson Slattery - I think he needs to be elevated and given 3-4 games at some point to make a decision on his future. Could be a Tom Harley type in a good defence, struggles when playing KP.

T Bell - No. has to replace a ruckman to get back in. Ryder and Hille were both good, at least we know we have a capable ruckman in waiting.

Reimers - Will he play on ball in seniors? Without knowing why he is at Bendigo its hard to say if he is ready again. If its defensive stuff why isnt he playing back flank or tagging? Work rate i would say was very good, got back and helped out defenders and provided a link through the middle but he also pushed deep fwd at times. If he needs to cover more ground and work harder then straight back in.

Prismall - Couldnt get in with no Watson and Hocking, not sure what he needs to do, maybe he wasnt fit seems odd.

Williams - Shadow of the player he was. Has lost a lot of pace and rarely marks the ball on a lead anymore.

Tyson Slattery - I think he needs to be elevated and given 3-4 games at some point to make a decision on his future. Could be a Tom Harley type in a good defence, struggles when playing KP.
But this is the issue.
He ain't going to kick it any better in AFL than VFL - if anything, he'll be targeted & the opposite will happen.
He either has to take a key tall or he doesn't have a spot. Simple as that.
Just not skilful, athletic or attacking enough to take a '3rd tall' spot.

But this is the issue.
He ain't going to kick it any better in AFL than VFL - if anything, he'll be targeted & the opposite will happen.
He either has to take a key tall or he doesn't have a spot. Simple as that.

There will be an opening for somebody to take Fletcher's spot at some point. The best games ive seen Slattery play have been when Hooker was still playing VFL and on the weekend when Pears and Shinners were the key defenders. His kicking isnt diabolical, its more a 1 out of 5 is pin point kick to the opposition. It can be improved, Jobe would be the perfect example.

It can be improved, definitely. I'd suggest VFL level is the place to do that.
I've seen him probably 3 or 4 times, over the 3 years (admittedly not a good sample size); and I don't think his kicking's any better now than when he started

To answer the question on who should get a game well it is not as obvious as you would think.

Prismall is playing good footy and was the best for us but he was playing the same role as Watson and Howlett so one would suggest for him to get in then Ben would have to go.

Now what we seem to be lacking at the moment is outside run so based on that then Reimers was the player who put his hand up in that regard playing midfield all day and 8 or 9 times providing run and bounce down the wing and then a great 50 meter drop punt to the forwards.

Pears looks like he is still 1 week away.

Silverlock was good but he had a couple of moments where he just stood around after a shit disposal before realizing he should have followed up and chased as he would have been in a position to effect a tackle.

As mentioned T-Bell probably did not do quite enough around the ground.

Dyson was ok but can we get the run and carry from him in the midfield ?

Williams played wing and did some good things but i would like to see a few games of the same in a row.

It can be improved, definitely. I'd suggest VFL level is the place to do that.
I've seen him probably 3 or 4 times, over the 3 years (admittedly not a good sample size); and I don't think his kicking's any better now than when he started

I think it has improved but he is still turning 2 or 3 over. He does not miss the players in the clear like he used to.
At this stage i would not say his kicking is any worse than a few going around in the seniors right now but it is still a worry.

i was there and was shocked to see williams named in the best. he wasn't as bad as he has been but did turn it over a few times as well as wussing out on multiple occasions.

pears has done enough for mine and looks the perfect matchup for aaron edwards this week. hooker to take petrie.

But this is the issue.

reckon he passes the last two criteria you've set (assuming by attacking you mean attacking the ball and running from defence). the skilful bit is difficult, because he's plucking defensive marks all over the shop, but still kicks too many floaters.

he's actually tracking quite nicely in that old-fashioned way where you were allowed to take two or three years of reserves football.

LC - Agree about T.Slattery.

I dont think his kicking is as bad as made out - Every backline in the AFL - usually covers one ordinary kick - And usually you try to cover that by handballing instead of kicking.

reckon he passes the last two criteria you've set (assuming by attacking you mean attacking the ball and running from defence). the skilful bit is difficult, because he's plucking defensive marks all over the shop, but still kicks too many floaters.

he's actually tracking quite nicely in that old-fashioned way where you were allowed to take two or three years of reserves football.
Yeah, maybe. I can only really see him slotting in as a 'proper' tall, but I guess even with that he's tracking better than 5 or 6 others on the list/s. Not going to lose sleep over it if he stays or goes.

Maybe worth noting that I never thought Nick Maxwell would make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back