Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Herald Sun covering the Reaper knock while the Addy stays quiet.

Westy and co, not sure you are doing yourselves any favours by trying to stay sweet with everyone, in the old days they reported without fear or favour and everyone respected them more for it.
slippery slope going into bed on deals over stats, etc with those you are meant to hold accountable.

slippery slope going into bed on deals over stats, etc with those you are meant to hold accountable.
I find the increasing emphasis on stats in the football media just plain boring. These articles are 'plastic'. They compare so unfavourably to say Richard Jones articles on the BFNL website about local football personalities and their achievements which are so really interesting and what attracts us to the game.

When the Gisborne full back Vescovi held Fergus Greene to one goal in their opening game I don't think coach Waters was complaining about his lack of possessions. How does your highly rated opponent not being able to get a kick get measured in stats?

I find the increasing emphasis on stats in the football media just plain boring. These articles are 'plastic'. They compare so unfavourably to say Richard Jones articles on the BFNL website about local football personalities and their achievements which are so really interesting and what attracts us to the game.

When the Gisborne full back Vescovi held Fergus Greene to one goal in their opening game I don't think coach Waters was complaining about his lack of possessions. How does your highly rated opponent not being able to get a kick get measured in stats?
Amen to that ... Bruce Doull is revered by all and sundry at Carlton for a lot of things that may not come across in statistics.

Someone can say that they got 29 touches and that may sound impressive, but maybe eight of them were "one-two" handballs that went three metres (the old padding the stats routine) or that half of those possessions were turned over.

Unfortunately gone are the days when journalists would write about the game, what the key match ups were, the turning point of the game and the best players and why they were the best players.

It would be far better to read that a rover got 29 touches because of the effectiveness of his ruckman providing him plenty of the ball and using it well to deliver it to his forwards or that a full-back held the full-forward goalless through close checking and forcing his opponent's leads out wide onto the flanks making goal scoring opportunities difficult, instead of "Joe Bloggs (29 possessions)".

Here in Perth, some Sunday Times journo's have been known to do their WAFL reports from the office, ringing up a person at the ground to get an approximate crowd figure (always out by at least 25%) and then they write their report off the live stats while compiling other stuff such as the fishing column.

Someone can say that they got 29 touches and that may sound impressive, but maybe eight of them were "one-two" handballs that went three metres (the old padding the stats routine) or that half of those possessions were turned over.

Unfortunately gone are the days when journalists would write about the game, what the key match ups were, the turning point of the game and the best players and why they were the best players.

It would be far better to read that a rover got 29 touches because of the effectiveness of his ruckman providing him plenty of the ball and using it well to deliver it to his forwards or that a full-back held the full-forward goalless through close checking and forcing his opponent's leads out wide onto the flanks making goal scoring opportunities difficult, instead of "Joe Bloggs (29 possessions)".

Here in Perth, some Sunday Times journo's have been known to do their WAFL reports from the office, ringing up a person at the ground to get an approximate crowd figure (always out by at least 25%) and then they write their report off the live stats while compiling other stuff such as the fishing column.
Dead right Mortlock. Someone could also get 29 touches and their opponent get 39 touches.

I remember Derrick Filo playing in the forward line for Eaglehawk in his 400th game. He probably only got about 8 touches but that is all he needed to kick 7 goals against Sandhurst.

Given it’s already Wednesday arvo, I assume there is no case to answer for either Square player from the Reaper incident. Unless of course those at HQ have had a busy week working on next years fixture.

For anyone who has ever had anything to do with the tribunal process in the past 10 years it’s a waste of time anyway - kangaroo court unless you are from a power club

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know if may well be a longshot but does anyone have any old copies of the following from the 80s or 90s that they are willing to part with?

I am over east in a few weeks and will be passing through Bendigo on Thursday May 30 and would love to secure one or more of as many of these as possible in my travels. If you can help me out, please send me a message.

Football Records from 1980s or 1990s
Bendigo (Footballer)
Bendigo-Golden City
Golden City
Heathcote (Yabba)
Kerang (Record)
Loddon Valley (El-Vee)
Maryborough-Castlemaine
Northern Dist (Record)

If that's remotely true just pack up the stumps, footy is dead

Would be a strong penalty but zero sympathy from me.

Easy way not to have an issue in the first place by just playing the game and not getting into off the ball scraps.

Some, if not most, of the stuff that happened in our day was just plain cowardly and I’m happy to see the dial turn the other way to remove it altogether.

Just watched the footage. Pulled down from behind. Bloke in front lands on him, appearing to lose his balance. No striking motion at all. Guessing the player coming down on top of him has knocked him out. Very stiff to receive any sanction.

Kangaroo Court at it again. Those sanctions are outrageous. I’ve seen a hell of a lot worse get off/much lower suspensions than that. Square will surely be appealing.

May as well burn $5k by appealing - just an absolute waste of time, Money and energy.

ALBURY surely you’ve been offered a spot on the AFL CV council ? You know the golden handshake surely

Wouldn't mind getting a golden handshake!

Margins we shall watch.

I initially thought the penalties to the Square players were too harsh, but if a player gets concussed in a sling tackle (or any way outside the rules) I can see tribunals are clearly going to come down hard. The message has been sent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back