Prediction Ben McEvoy - Defender

Remove this Banner Ad

You have got to be kidding!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah. he's not.

the penny had clearly dropped with shoe before he did his knee, and he was playing extremely good football in a limited sample size for that year.

haters always gonna hate.

Schoe is a premiership player as well. so arguments trying to play down his contribution to the club are just plain stupid.

While at the GC vs Hawks game I could not figure out who the big guy was in our backline. He moved well, seemed to have an ability to stop his opponent from getting a run at the ball and marked everything when it was there. He mopped the ball up off the ground and passed the ball well. I saw the number 7 but he was clearly a backman and not a ruck
At one point I thought he was Birchall (as did another poster in Lotus)

These were my thoughts from the nose-bleeds.

It took me a long time to figure it actually was McEvoy. For mine, he looked good in the position.

I’m sure McEvoy was put in the backline to play against Sam Day: a big mature body with limited movement. When Day was ruled out due to concussion? during the game, and the Hawks were dominating, I can almost hear Clarko saying, “Let’s leave him in the backline and see how this plays out.”

Result: a solid success for this game with McEvoy in the backline.

Personally, I prefer Ceglar as the backman as he has serious wheels. But maybe McEvoy has the smarts.

That said,
If McEvoy and Cegs can hold down the tall in the backline role and not get exposed for agility (the team would need to compensate), then we have a serious team... this year (I cannot believe I am saying that).

West Coast have the players to exploit ruckman as backmen. I hope we see whether, against serious quality forward, one of our ruckman can hold their own or even win the position.

Last edited:
I didn't see anything that got me excited about his CHB abilities.

I hate us playing two rucks, happy it worked against GC but I don't think it's a long term strategy. Unfortunately we have 2 players that deserve to be first ruck.

We could play a back defence rebound game, with CHB McEvoy impassable on the long kick.
If the backline is flooded we would take out their best weapons: namely their forwards. These guys would have to scrap for their goals under huge pressure.
It would be on Smith, Poopy, Breust, Wingard, Gunston, Scully, Hanarahan and Nash to out-run their opposition back to goal, after Hardwick and Sicerly put them into space.

It could work. If not it would be worth a try.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, looked pretty good I reckon!!!
Ceglar looked good as well.

Pretty sure it’s not a gimmick/rest.

Time to update your predicted best22’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not convinced just yet.

I understand the reasoning with two good first rucks and a lack of key defenders but he was badly beaten one on one on a number of occasions despite our dominance last night.

Had some good moments too but not yet sure it will work as a longer term strategy. either way we need a kpd or 2 to come through with Frawley (and McEvoy) the wrong side of 30.

Maybe the move has been to provide the opportunity that Ceglar is after to make sure he doesn't leave.

McEvoy is 30 and Ceglar 28, trying to make them both work in the team.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Maybe the move has been to provide the opportunity that Ceglar is after to make sure he doesn't leave.

McEvoy is 30 and Ceglar 28, trying to make them both work in the team.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That must be the ONLY reason.

Clarko playing our best ruckman as a defender?
He’s just taking the pi55?

Cegs played an awesome game last night. So well in fact that i think he is now number 1 ruck.
I am still a big fan of Big Boy and think he coule go okay as a key forward / key back.

At the game yesterday, was they played through whoever rotated onto him. Took 2 important marks in the 4th and 1 that wasn't paid but not for that you would say it was a failed experiment.

Cellar had a bad patch when the Eagles kicked their first 4 goals, but thankfully he pulled it back together.

Miss him in the middle and a kick behind in general play.

Wait,

Is it true that:

This is his 2nd ever game as a defender?

He just played in a massive win over what looked to be a premiership contender?

West Coast have one of the most dangerous forward lines in the league?

Sicily was shocked when told he’d be playing down back, but thought he did well?

We have ALL pre-season for him to learn how to be a defender/gel with the backs?

He has very good skills for a big man?

He’s already one of the best defensive marks in the game?

He's a 30 year old big man. We don't have the luxury of waiting for him to develop, he's not going to get quicker.

Reality is if Kaiden Brand got 6 disposals and 2 marks the board would be calling for his head.

I just don't see the point of taking a brilliant ruckman and turning him into a lackluster defender.

2 games in - way too early to say if it works or not.

He's spent 10+ years learning to a ruckman, and 2 weeks learning to be a defender.

He did well. He's lost some weight - looks quick of foot and mind and is great at bringing others into the game.
He got lost following forwards a few times. Got caught trying to mark a couple of times when should have punched.

I'm okay with it. Keep it going.

The argument is perhaps moot until Axeman spots him training in December/January by the looks of it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back