AFL Toast Beat the giants by 20!

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m trying to figure out if we are good or not.

After being let down so many times I really don’t want to get ahead of myself, but I’ll enjoy the wins as they come!

So many positives, our midfield rotation and depth is so good these days. Our backline held up really well and is set to get better once Ridley is back. The forward line is an area that I think we need the most work. Wright and Jones have had too many games where they go missing. Really irks me that a player like Patrick Voss was let go and what he did in his one game at Freo is exactly what we are missing. Hope Scott pulls the trigger with Caddy early because I reckon once he is in the side he won't leave.

It's a good start, especially for a team many had for the bottom 4/spoon.

However, in 2012 we only lost 1 game by Round 9, went on to win just 3 more games for the rest of the season and finish 11th.

In 2016 Norf were undefeated by Round 9, went on to win just 3 more games for the rest of the season and scrape into 8th to lose the first week.

That isn't a knock to our performance, but more-so to recognize that we're still building and to celebrate the little wins as they come. It's less about wins/losses and more about putting in effort.

Last edited:
screenshot-kayosports.com.au-2024.05.12-10_30_09.png

Looked up what it actually means, 246 means it was 146% harder for GWS to get an effective disposal.

Coped this from someone on Reddit:

375 is if the player disposing the ball has physical contact on them while disposing of it

225 if someone is about to touch you

150 if someone is 2-3 steps away

120 if someone is corralling you

100 if its no pressure but in general play

75 if its a set kick

So on average every GWS disposal in the first 10 minutes of the last quarter had an Essendon player about tackle them or tackling them.

David Rodan as a goal umpire just makes me happy
The smile and sense of satisfaction he oozes after each goal is just infectious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a good start, especially for a team many had for the bottom 4/spoon. However we must take it week by week, it's less about wins/losses and more about putting in effort.

In 2012 we only lost 1 game by Round 9. Went on to finish 11th.

Norf were undefeated by Round 9 in 2016, went on to win only 3 more games for the rest of the season and just scraped in to play the first week of finals.

That's isn't a knock to our performance, but more-so to recognize that we're still building and to celebrate the little wins as they come.
This is why Scott has been a great fit for us. Concentrates on the 1%ers we can control and doesn't froth over wins. Keeping them grounded.

This is why Scott has been a great fit for us. Concentrates on the 1%ers we can control and doesn't froth over wins. Keeping them grounded.

On the flip side, this has been our best first 9 rounds of a season since 2013.

Just have to bottle that as inspiration to keep the weekly effort going.

My bad, I was refering to the game before he got dropped. They got absolutely pantsed by Sydney last night only one forward kicked a single goal for them.
He plays the same role as Langford or Stringer . Very poor contested mark. Average pace . Not as many tricks
Thought he played okay in the first game but it was nothing we did not already have .

Ess has been shutting teams down in the last quarter. Giants only goal in the last quarter came early on, held them goalless for the last 18 minutes. Something is working right and real well.

I love it.
Collingwood too 15 minutes or so without a score either was to Langers point

Wright, Stringer, Langford and Jones are firing. Gresham and Guelfi been good as well. Would love a Stengle or Pickett type to round it out.

Having watched the replay I think that while our pressure was excellent we still look quite scrappy inside forward 50. Notwithstanding the Giants have some of the best defenders in the comp back there I think there's still a lot of room for improvement. Until we can regularly score heavily against decent sides we're always going to be within striking distance if they get a bit of a run on. I think that's probably a big part of why we're in the top 4 with a percentage of 98%. Norf and bitchmond will be a test of sorts because on exposed form we really should be burying those sides.

Something pleasing was I don't think we had anyone really drop their bundle, a few guys had quiet games but they were never completely absent, which is something I think was an issue last year.

lmao what does Voss give us that we don't already have?
What does Jones give us? Can't stick a mark in the forward 50 and is unreliable on goal. His contested marking and accuracy was incredible his first year playing and since then he has gone backwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back