Bad News for Aussie Jones and Footy in Bendigo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't see them folding tbh but it is a tough time coming up for the VFL. Coburg will struggle next year as Bendigo did this year but I think Williamstown will be okay.

Local footy > VFL footy for fans anywhere in Victoria.
Better atmosphere, more competitive games v traditional rivals.
BG was never going to work.
Coburg will also likely fold after 2014.
Back to an even number.
I was a huge VFA/VFL fan but it has been run into the ground and now has no future except as a reserves comp.

It's clear the people of Bendigo don't want a substandard competition operating in their backyards. It's time Bendigo are entered into the AFL. Low crowds and general interest mean that the area is ripe for the picking.

Local footy > VFL footy for fans anywhere in Victoria.
Better atmosphere, more competitive games v traditional rivals.
BG was never going to work.
Coburg will also likely fold after 2014.
Back to an even number.
I was a huge VFA/VFL fan but it has been run into the ground and now has no future except as a reserves comp.
And that's exactly where both Adelaide and Port want to drive the SANFL.
Welcome to monoculture footy in the new millennium!

We were dragged around the Bendigo swap meet as kids. Nowadays taking kids out in that heat would be classed as child abuse.

I'd argue being dragged around a Bendigo swap meet irrespective of the weather would be classed as child abuse.

Bendigonians couldn't give a toss about a VFL side. They have their own BFL and AFL sides to barrack for, affiliations don't help either.

Very true. My old club Rochester, 60kms north, supplies a few players to the Gold. I'd rather they played with Rochester than get smashed every week and I'm sure other local clubs in the area feel the same way.

It's a good idea in theory, but it's failed twice now.

What I don't understand, is the reasoning behind having a VFL reserves side. The alignment situation seems a far better gig for both sides to me, especially with Saints and Sandy for example who have geographical and historical links along with a relatively tight budget at St Kilda.

It is a shame to see VFL/VFA turn into a reserves league, when there are clubs there which have been around for many, many years.

I also don't understand why the people of Bendigo prefer their regional league, which is inevitably a lesser standard, instead of seeing their best going up against the other top teams in Victoria. I am used to regional sports teams, and I always saw it as representing your area against others and had pride attached to it. It sounds like that side of it is where Bendigo Gold/Diggers have failed - if the community has no pride in it, supporters and corporate backing isn't going to come.

I also don't understand why the people of Bendigo prefer their regional league, which is inevitably a lesser standard, instead of seeing their best going up against the other top teams in Victoria.

Apologies for not turning up to watch them getting smashed by 120 points each week and going to watch a side that may actually win.

I also don't understand why the people of Bendigo prefer their regional league, which is inevitably a lesser standard, instead of seeing their best going up against the other top teams in Victoria. I am used to regional sports teams, and I always saw it as representing your area against others and had pride attached to it. It sounds like that side of it is where Bendigo Gold/Diggers have failed - if the community has no pride in it, supporters and corporate backing isn't going to come.

Probably because they'd rather watch their local club, which has been a consistent club over their lifetime. Bendigo has been the Diggers, the Bombers and now the Gold and each entity has failed. I'd rather watch my local club over the VFL every day of the week.

Probably because they'd rather watch their local club, which has been a consistent club over their lifetime. Bendigo has been the Diggers, the Bombers and now the Gold and each entity has failed. I'd rather watch my local club over the VFL every day of the week.

Nailed it. I don't think there are too many in the region who feel a connection to the Gold while our connections to our local clubs are very strong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies for not turning up to watch them getting smashed by 120 points each week and going to watch a side that may actually win.

Where I live, most sports are split regional and yes that means you tend to get a thumping in your bad years. But everyone takes pride in their region and the best players want to play for the representative team.
If you and others got behind them, and the best Bendigo players played for them, the financial and on-field situation would be better and you wouldn't be watching a side get thumped every week, you'd be watching local boys flying the flag for your area.
Then again if there is no interest in flying the flag for the area and taking on the VFL sides, if you would rather just stay quiet in the corner, then be happy in doing so I guess.

I also don't understand why the people of Bendigo prefer their regional league, which is inevitably a lesser standard, instead of seeing their best going up against the other top teams in Victoria.

I think there is a convincing argument that many of the suburban and country league teams are better than many of the VFL teams. Golden Square would thump Bendigo Gold by 10 goals. Good players hang around for the VFL for a while but most then play locally. Dean Galea won the Frosty Miller medal as leading goal kicker in the VFL and has left to play suburban footy. He is 28 and at his peak for a key forward.

Isn't that mostly cash-based, and big-fish syndrome?
Although I think the VFL needs a facelift, it ought to be the 2nd tier that all below it strive for, and combined with the long-standing VFL sides there should be regional representation that people are proud of and want to play for. Let the AFL reserves have their own setup.

However I fear giving the VFL a shake-up might make things even worse, people complaining even more about loss of tradition etc.

I think there is a convincing argument that many of the suburban and country league teams are better than many of the VFL teams. Golden Square would thump Bendigo Gold by 10 goals. Good players hang around for the VFL for a while but most then play locally. Dean Galea won the Frosty Miller medal as leading goal kicker in the VFL and has left to play suburban footy. He is 28 and at his peak for a key forward.

Your kidding aren't you? All VFL teams except Bendigo would easily account for country/suburban teams! What other VFL teams would be defeated by country/suburban teams???

Your kidding aren't you? All VFL teams except Bendigo would easily account for country/suburban teams! What other VFL teams would be defeated by country/suburban teams???

I'd back plenty of EDFL teams to beat Coburg, and would certainly put money on Balwyn or Noble Park to knock over Frankston. To put it in perspective Balwyn have Jeff Goebells, Shane Tregear and Blake Broadhurst who would still be walk-up starts in the WAFL. Shooter McMahon would still be amongst the first picked for the Borough, and Kenna, Gilchrist (x2), Hoegel and Crowe would all be automatic for Box Hill. The kid Gottliebson has just signed with Sandringham.

I'd back plenty of EDFL teams to beat Coburg, and would certainly put money on Balwyn or Noble Park to knock over Frankston. To put it in perspective Balwyn have Jeff Goebells, Shane Tregear and Blake Broadhurst who would still be walk-up starts in the WAFL. Shooter McMahon would still be amongst the first picked for the Borough, and Kenna, Gilchrist (x2), Hoegel and Crowe would all be automatic for Box Hill. The kid Gottliebson has just signed with Sandringham.
Frankston improved dramatically, almost impossible to beat at home. As for Coburg Im sure that they will improve after the end of the alignment with Richmond and under Peter German.

Who does everyone think will be better on-field (and off for that matter) out of Bendigo Gold and Coburg in season 2014?

Bendigo league nurtures future stars?? Pigs arse. The gold & pioneers do this. All I've heard about the Bendigo league is that they have signed a ex afl player or two at the end of there career.

Where do you think Joel Selwood, Nick Dal Santo, Nathan Brown etc. com from?

They aligned with a club and advanced through the junior grades before they go to the Pioneers and then the Gold.

The TAC and VFL clubs build on the development that begins at club level.

Talking to people up that way, they want to support the VFL exercise, but, the efforts of the bendigo League are conspiring against them.

There are ways it can change. the area Bendigo has to recruit from at it's disposal covers from Gisorne to Mildura! From Avoca to Echuca! Maybe taking games into places like Mildura, Swan Hill, Echuca and Maryborough will generate much needed funds for the club through growing local sponsorship and so forth.

There have been campaigns here on Win Tv in Ballarat about helping Bendigo out. However, I don't think they are going to be able to field a team in the VFL because they just don't have the talent or the money.
Where do you think Joel Selwood, Nick Dal Santo, Nathan Brown etc. com from?

They aligned with a club and advanced through the junior grades before they go to the Pioneers and then the Gold.

The TAC and VFL clubs build on the development that begins at club level.
Joel Selwood was recruited from his own local team.
Nathan Brown also was recruited from his local team.
Bendigo Gold is a bit different. They were originally aligned with Essendon before Essendon broke it off due to money issues and wanting to have their own stand alone team.

Joel Selwood was recruited from his own local team.
Nathan Brown also was recruited from his local team.
Bendigo Gold is a bit different. They were originally aligned with Essendon before Essendon broke it off due to money issues and wanting to have their own stand alone team.

You've totally missed the point.

Actually they were the stand-alone Bendigo Diggers (1988-2003). Their last two seasons were winless. They were then the Bendigo Bombers (2004-2012). Since being Bendigo Gold they are back to winless seasons. And looking at the 'big' signings they have announced so far they are heading the same way again for '14.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back