Discussion Bad Graphic Design

Remove this Banner Ad

s4zjs4qqq1qa1.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d call that creative typography, not bad graphic design, especially given it still reads pretty well - you’re not stuck there for 30 seconds trying to work out what they’re saying.

Heaven forbid if I ever end up on this thread for trying something funky with lettering. 🥲

Maybe I’m biased given my role in the industry, but there is an immense pressure for graphic designers, particularly in sports, to break norms and innovate to build content engagement.

I feel for the designer at Port given they’ve actually put something together that looks really good, is better than what 99.9% of the people having a laugh could do, still has relatively legible text (like, if it took you three seconds to read WELCOME, that’s time you actually engaged with that content) and then not only is your work bagged in the comments, the Port social team then takes a dig on their next post.

I can imagine how I’d feel anyway… 🤷‍♂️

Maybe I’m biased given my role in the industry, but there is an immense pressure for graphic designers, particularly in sports, to break norms and innovate to build content engagement.

I feel for the designer at Port given they’ve actually put something together that looks really good, is better than what 99.9% of the people having a laugh could do, still has relatively legible text (like, if it took you three seconds to read WELCOME, that’s time you actually engaged with that content) and then not only is your work bagged in the comments, the Port social team then takes a dig on their next post.

IMO, good graphic design is keeping things simple

BigChippa52 had a brain aneurysm reading Port's post. I hope he recovers okay.
You could have had a black background, white and real text with "Welcome Ivan Soldo" with the Port Adelaide logo, and most people would be satisfied

and on top of that I feel like the whole idea of 'Bad Graphic Design' is more about design that are lazy and cheaply done. I wouldn't say the Port post was lazy at all, quite the opposite it clearly had intentionality behind it but of course those intentions don't always translate over to the audiences.

IMO, good graphic design is keeping things simple

BigChippa52 had a brain aneurysm reading Port's post. I hope he recovers okay.
You could have had a black background, white and real text with "Welcome Ivan Soldo" with the Port Adelaide logo, and most people would be satisfied

Satisfied, or just didn’t really notice it because it didn’t stand out in amongst a crowded trade period?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back