Resource Australian Football History Resource Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So have I. I'm the guy who scanned them to start with. They were uploaded without seeking permission from myself. I would not have minded if they just posted the pages covering the Amateurs, but to say I am beyond disappointed in their actions is an understatement. I would have considered letting them use my scans of the Sunday Fl programs and Year Books, but they can kiss that goodbye for good.

So have I. I'm the guy who scanned them to start with. They were uploaded without seeking permission from myself. I would not have minded if they just posted the pages covering the Amateurs, but to say I am beyond disappointed in their actions is an understatement. I would have considered letting them use my scans of the Sunday Fl programs and Year Books, but they can kiss that goodbye for good.
Oh boy. That's a bit shady.
Not sure whether it's right to collect what I need from those issues.

They asked someone I know if they could borrow his thumb drive of the Westsides for some research. He had no idea they were going to upload them all and has apologised when we caught up with each other recently.

I've got a full set of Westside Footy scans if you ever need anything. Searchable too.
I guess all I really need are clubs from each country league. The tables seem to start being featured in the mid-eighties and most leagues were sending them in by the mid-nineties. If Brad gives me the all-clear for me to collect all the clubs from the copies uploaded without his knowledge, I could put together a laundry list of what I don't have.

I guess all I really need are clubs from each country league. The tables seem to start being featured in the mid-eighties and most leagues were sending them in by the mid-nineties. If Brad gives me the all-clear for me to collect all the clubs from the copies uploaded without his knowledge, I could put together a laundry list of what I don't have.

Google WA Footy Forum

Just so you know, the tables are for roughly half the leagues that were active at the time. Gascoyne and all the Kimberley comps are unlikely to be listed.

Google WA Footy Forum

Just so you know, the tables are for roughly half the leagues that were active at the time. Gascoyne and all the Kimberley comps are unlikely to be listed.
I did find a few valuable threads there. The 1979 league list gives me a general idea of the scope although it apparently is missing a couple of leagues (as Phil pointed out, the Coastal and West Kimberley leagues weren't there). I also checked for this "Football Register" which brought me to an eBay listing selling all copies between 1966 and 1990.

I did find a few valuable threads there. The 1979 league list gives me a general idea of the scope although it apparently is missing a couple of leagues (as Phil pointed out, the Coastal and West Kimberley leagues weren't there). I also checked for this "Football Register" which brought me to an eBay listing selling all copies between 1966 and 1990.

Only one or two editions have a full list of country leagues and clubs. That 1979 list was taken straight from the Register. A couple of editions have the major comp ladders only (Albany, Kal, Bunbury and Gero). Most editions have a section reviewing the season in the bush.

Last edited:
Only one or two editions have a full list of country leagues and clubs. That 1979 list was taken straight from the Register. A couple of editions have the major comp ladders only (Albany, Kal, Bunbury and Gero). Most editions have a section reviewing the season in the bush.
I'm guessing 1979 was one of those lucky editions.
I suppose I'll keep focusing on Victoria for now since I have a straight path from now to the beginning with sources: footy.fandom.com 2000-now, newspapers.com 1990-1999, Google News Archive 1955-1989, Trove up to 1954.

So the old online footy records I used to access at this link...

... is no more.

Does anyone have the new link... if there is one?

Fear not! We all just need to update our bookmarks to this

The new layout is actually much better; it finally restores the Round numbers for individual records and the thumbnails are extremely handy too! (although it seems they haven't been loaded for every season yet)

The SLV recommends this link for 2020–2021 AFL Records.

Fear not! We all just need to update our bookmarks to this

The new layout is actually much better; it finally restores the Round numbers for individual records and the thumbnails are extremely handy too! (although it seems they haven't been loaded for every season yet)

The SLV recommends this link for 2020–2021 AFL Records.

If this thread was a Facebook group I created and I was able to pin comments, this would be the one I'd pin.

Gibbsy you life saver.

Do you own the copyright for these?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They didn't even credit you? Insaneballs.

Copyright belongs to the leagues, by scanning you are breaching copyright. How does Brad know they didn't do their own scanning?

I had gained permission from the WAFL for the Football Budgets, as well as being allowed to sell thumb drives of the results.
For the Wstside Football, I had permisson from the editor and the man who started the publication, Alan East. He was also happy for me to seel thumb drives of the scans. I aslo gave Alan a copy a year or two before he passed away.

I'm guessing 1979 was one of those lucky editions.
I suppose I'll keep focusing on Victoria for now since I have a straight path from now to the beginning with sources: footy.fandom.com 2000-now, newspapers.com 1990-1999, Google News Archive 1955-1989, Trove up to 1954.

Is the Google site reliable?

Google News Archive has a decent collection though some issues are missing. However, the good news is that newspapers.com fills in most of those gaps.

I am wary of the AFLs ability to massage the history of the game, e.g the Demetriou redneck VFL comments no longer exist on Google - I'd love to be wrong.

We fans know the game is not perfect & dont need the thought police to erase our chequered past.

I had gained permission from the WAFL for the Football Budgets, as well as being allowed to sell thumb drives of the results.
For the Westside Football, I had permission from the editor and the man who started the publication, Alan East. He was also happy for me to seel thumb drives of the scans. I also gave Alan a copy a year or two before he passed away.
Ok, so you gained permission, but copyright remains the property of the league. The league did not sell to you the copyright.
You were allowed to publish, but you didn't. You are allowed to sell thumb drives but the market is small and you wouldn't sell much.

Fantastic news for further research into Tasmanian football history.

Trove is in the process of adding full scans of the "Saturday Evening Express" 1924-54 [Launceston weekly published by The Examiner]
not quite processed to be readable yet, but clues on what is coming soon can be seen seen in article headlines:

Last edited:
Anyone know the way to search for specific text in the Footy Records in the SLV
Looks like they've changed the lay out and all that, and let's say hypothetically I want to search for "Kevin Bartlett", in the old way it would bring the up the results of the Footy Records issues where that text appears.
But now it seems whatever I type it always comes back "Items in this collection"

Anyone know the way to search for specific text in the Footy Records in the SLV
Looks like they've changed the lay out and all that, and let's say hypothetically I want to search for "Kevin Bartlett", in the old way it would bring the up the results of the Footy Records issues where that text appears.
But now it seems whatever I type it always comes back "Items in this collection"

Yes, Rhett, I see what you mean. The old system was such a useful tool.

I think a few of us should give the SLV staff some feedback about it. They seem to be giving this new layout and web interface a trial, so if we mention our concerns, perhaps they can restore the "content search" aspect back to the way it used to be.

Yes, Rhett, I see what you mean. The old system was such a useful tool.

I think a few of us should give the SLV staff some feedback about it. They seem to be giving this new layout and web interface a trial, so if we mention our concerns, perhaps they can restore the "content search" aspect back to the way it used to be.
I submitted a request/dispute via this form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back